Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Dodge pickup in the works?

Now that the Ford pickup series is about complete, IMO, the Dodge pickup series must be next. Namely the mid 60's to early 70's, identical marketing situation with  the period Ford pickups, they were never done, ignored by big plastic.  Diecast is already on this style Dodge cab in 1/18, which looks very nice,  when will Moebius spill there beans and let us know what is going on?

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Edited by leafsprings

I too would love to have a Dodge truck from the '62-'71 vintage. But, with how fast Moebius has been with coming out with the Chevy II kits since changing hands, I'm not holding my breath. I get the impression the new owners of Moebius have little to no interests in pursuing model kits of cars or trucks.

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

I too would love to have a Dodge truck from the '62-'71 vintage. But, with how fast Moebius has been with coming out with the Chevy II kits since changing hands, I'm not holding my breath. I get the impression the new owners of Moebius have little to no interests in pursuing model kits of cars or trucks.

I take it you have never dealt with Pegasus, or been to their shop in California. They are very much behind car builders and support our part of the hobby very enthusiastically. They are the go to shop in Southern California for Model Car builders. From kits to their own line of parts, they are not shy about being into cars. 

Give it time, I am sure they are working on something. 

22 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

I believe that project got scrapped, not sure if it was licensing issues or tooling problems.

Don;t have most recent info, but last I heard the Nova project was NOT scrapped, but needed licensing sorted and finalized. 

I think a new Dodge pickup kit sounds remote at this time; I'm not aware of any work on such a project (doesn't mean it isn't happening, just that I haven't heard anything about it).  Still, pickup kits are the hottest single topic right now in the model car hobby trade, from what I've been told.    

In my model car files somewhere is a note from 20 or so years ago that a complete measuring session had been done on a post WWII type 1946-1968 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4 (the adaptation of the WWII truck), along with several other projects that at the time never saw the light of day back then.  This was back when Lindberg, AMT-Ertl, and Revell were all introducing several new kits a year.  In more recent times, the results of several of those other measuring session projects .have subsequently been produced by other kitmakers than those who originally did the measuring sessions, so the Power Wagon would seem to me a possible topic if there indeed was a Dodge pickup kit in progress.     Now how's that for starting a rumor!!!  :)  

TIM 

I personally think there is more potential if - fill in the blank model company- were to offer the never-before-kitted series of Dodge trucks from early 60's to '72. Much like the Moebius model, just update grilles and you could have a bunch of different vehicles to offer.

I think if a company was to offer the post WWII Dodge Power Wagon they would be limiting the different versions and ROI on the development costs. 

Don't write rumors you're body can't cash, or something like that, lol.? I'd love to see an old power wagon produced. I want to make this state forestry truck that's on display at my favorite state park that I go to for relaxation. Please, please, please....

Jeff 

20190804_120225.jpg

7 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

I personally think there is more potential if - fill in the blank model company- were to offer the never-before-kitted series of Dodge trucks from early 60's to '72. Much like the Moebius model, just update grilles and you could have a bunch of different vehicles to offer.

I think if a company was to offer the post WWII Dodge Power Wagon they would be limiting the different versions and ROI on the development costs. 

Good points, Mike....TIM

PS -  also to your point about derivatives and mainstream pickups, if it were my cash on the line, I'd do a new series of '67-72 Chevy pickups (starting with the '67/'68 versions first) before I'd invest in the 1961-71 Dodge D/W pickups....TB 

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

I'd do a new series of '67-72 Chevy pickups (starting with the '67/'68 versions first) before I'd invest in the 1961-71 Dodge D/W pickups.

I concur --- sales-potential is greater than with the earlier Dodge stuff (and this is coming from a life-long MoPar fanatic !) . GMC variations of those years would be excellent as well (not holding out hope for a '67-'68 GMC with the 351 V6 however... ) .

In the meantime , I'm contented with the Round2 1978 D-100 longbed --- that kit's existence is no small miracle , either . 

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Good points, Mike....TIM

PS -  also to your point about derivatives and mainstream pickups, if it were my cash on the line, I'd do a new series of '67-72 Chevy pickups (starting with the '67/'68 versions first) before I'd invest in the 1961-71 Dodge D/W pickups....TB 

As much as I agree with you and know what great sellers that could yield, I also think there is a market for the Dodge trucks. The GM trucks could be done as pickups and maybe even a Suburban, with GMC and Chevy variants. The next group to tackle would be some 73-87 GM trucks and sport utilities.

Maybe Tim or someone else can explain this one to me. How come it takes so long to develop new plastic kits, yet diecast models and toys appear so much quicker? The post-war Power Wagon brings that to point. About 15 years ago, maybe more, I picked up a very nice 1/25 or 1/24 scale Dodge Power Wagon die cast put out by Matchbox. Why do we see so many great car and trucks, mainly diecast, in 1/18 or 1/64 scales, coming out all of time? Cars and trucks I would love to see as plastic kits. Yet it takes forever for a kit too appear? Greenlight and M2 in particular, keep putting out really cool, reasonably accurate new diecast toy cars and trucks all of the time. Round 2 in 1/18 scale, and 1/64 in their Johnny Lighting and Auto World series too. 

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

Maybe Tim or someone else can explain this one to me. How come it takes so long to develop new plastic kits, yet diecast models and toys appear so much quicker? The post-war Power Wagon brings that to point. About 15 years ago, maybe more, I picked up a very nice 1/25 or 1/24 scale Dodge Power Wagon die cast put out by Matchbox. Why do we see so many great car and trucks, mainly diecast, in 1/18 or 1/64 scales, coming out all of time? Cars and trucks I would love to see as plastic kits. Yet it takes forever for a kit too appear? Greenlight and M2 in particular, keep putting out really cool, reasonably accurate new diecast toy cars and trucks all of the time. Round 2 in 1/18 scale, and 1/64 in their Johnny Lighting and Auto World series too. 

I think it would be because there is a bigger market for diecasts. Most of them are sold as toys so the age range of the people buying/receiving them is much bigger than for kits and they dont need as many parts or as much detail.

7 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I think it would be because there is a bigger market for diecasts. Most of them are sold as toys so the age range of the people buying/receiving them is much bigger than for kits and they dont need as many parts or as much detail.

That doesn't make sense to me. I understand that diecast toy market is bigger. But, why can they tool things up so much faster?