Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

On 10/17/2023 at 11:10 PM, niteowl7710 said:

I'll agree to disagree on that. Just Google Image searching '71 Mach 1s I can only find one or two that have white walls equipped. The majority, even the ones with the Ford Pie Pan hubcaps have either white letter tires or black walls. The Whitewalls seem to be more an artifact of the movie car than reality, if anything (as someone else mentioned in this thread earlier) it's more disappointing they aren't including full Mach 1 stripes than not Tampo printing white walls when I'm guessing the majority of customers aren't necessarily going to specificly build the 007 car.

Edit - I don't have to guess at all, someone posted the decal sheet in the other thread about 2024 Revell kits and the white walls are clearly on there.

20231013_192345.jpg.e42aeea3d2c4279d4deec48ae6705abf.thumb.jpg.e490b5f2cdd97ea57c32fb716cdf3901.jpg

You’re right, they are decals.  I wish they would have Tampo printed them on instead of going with cheesy decals.  If you’re making the ‘007 Mustang, whitewalls are the way to go.  Even if I wasn’t building the movie car, I would elect to put whitewalls on it.   They give the car a nice vintage look IMO.

IMG_1510.jpeg

Edited by mikos

3 hours ago, JS23U said:

Then call me a purist. On a Mach 1 I really like the sleek design without spoilers, louvers and so on, plus the whitewall tires. Save the RWLs for a Boss... 🙃

Purist...🤣

3 hours ago, mikos said:

Even if I wasn’t building the movie car, I would elect to put whitewalls on it.   They give the car a nice vintage look IMO.

IMG_1510.jpeg

So even the 429 cars had the pie plates and white walls? Seems like that would bump you up a wheel size to something that could better handle/transfer the power.

I got the Mach1 kit last week, here are a few shots of the new parts:

Hood (no latches)

DSC09449.JPG.09a3f4a9234e5226eef9bd6c4050fe1b.JPG

Front bumper / rear panel / rear valance:

DSC09455.JPG.6d0d983b7eeeea77990b95b06e587354.JPG

429 Engine:

DSC09464.JPG.5c03aa345eec71df7fb10ad038a4e82b.JPG

Steel wheels with hubcaps and trim rings:

DSC09520.JPG.76c2ed80925c6d16a10257942be74b4d.JPG

DSC09526.JPG.ee77a484a36ed21e57345144897856b3.JPG

tampo printed tires (same than on Boss 351):

DSC09528.JPG.6f99d23da362dd250903a3d821b7bab3.JPG

Some parts used on this kit variant were already in the Boss351 kit (gas cap, fan shroud)

Here is the decal sheet:

71 Ford Mustang Mach 1 - Decals.jpg

Note the small black rings used for the hubcaps.

I don't know why the whitewall decals are included...

Edited by Mustang fan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, mikos said:

You’re right, they are decals.  I wish they would have Tampo printed them on instead of going with cheesy decals.  If you’re making the ‘007 Mustang, whitewalls are the way to go.  Even if I wasn’t building the movie car, I would elect to put whitewalls on it.   They give the car a nice vintage look IMO.

Looks like you got your wish.

DSC09528.JPG.6f99d23da362dd250903a3d821b7bab3.JPG

Although, Revells "cheesy" whitewall decals have been much improved lately, as evidenced by Chuck Kourouklis hot rod build. He was blown away at how nicely they laid down. I'd link you to the build but the search function is not working for me right now, probably related to the boards other technical issues.

image.png.184448827213303baf801443e0aa3167.png

9 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

...Although, Revells "cheesy" whitewall decals have been much improved lately, as evidenced by Chuck Kourouklis hot rod build. He was blown away at how nicely they laid down. I'd link you to the build but the search function is not working for me right now, probably related to the boards other technical issues.

image.png.184448827213303baf801443e0aa3167.png

Why thanks for the shout-out, Craig!  I'm actually three parts from the finish, so there will be more coming about that - and the decals - soon.

So I just picked up the Boss 351 kit and my example has a cracked windshield right down the middle.   Anyone else have this problem or did I just get lucky and get that one kit?   I've already contacted Revell and requested a replacement part.  Other that this one issue, this is an amazing kit and can't wait to get started.

On 10/20/2023 at 11:20 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

I think the white wall decals make the most sense. Not everyone is going to want to us white walls. In my opinion it's better to provide the widest range of options. 

If you don't want the white stripes, just put them on toward the back, just like we used to do with the real thing. 😉

7 hours ago, Can-Con said:

If you don't want the white stripes, just put them on toward the back, just like we used to do with the real thing. 😉

Yes, on 1:1 scale white-wall tires the white wall is only present on one side of the tire. The other side is a "black-wall".  That has been true for all the cars I owned (including my current 1985 Caddy Eldorado).

I was at my favourite hobby shop tonight and I saw the Revell (euro) box of the ‘71 Boss351 , blue car looks good , and I was wondering is there an advantage of getting this issue ? 

The US version , North American version silver car is 50$ CDN and this Euro version blue car is 62$ CDN ... what’s the extra $$$ and/or are there any differences in the decals or anything to justify the additional costs ? 

I have the money , I could afford it ... just wondering if anyone has in site ? 

28 minutes ago, David Miller said:

I was at my favourite hobby shop tonight and I saw the Revell (euro) box of the ‘71 Boss351 , blue car looks good , and I was wondering is there an advantage of getting this issue ? 

The US version , North American version silver car is 50$ CDN and this Euro version blue car is 62$ CDN ... what’s the extra $$$ and/or are there any differences in the decals or anything to justify the additional costs ? 

I have the money , I could afford it ... just wondering if anyone has in site ? 

The only difference is the Euro version has a more extensive decal sheet. The plastic parts are the same. 

• 2 weeks later...

The decals in the 007 kit are basically just for that version which is a Mach I without the stripes. That version had a chrome strip separating the body color from the black panted lower portion. Revell cheated and made this part of the decal. The builder would have to add this using strip plastic to be totally accurate. You could add the stripes and spoilers from the Boss 351 and make the more common version. Of course, this would only work for black stripes since Revell doesn't include silver (argent) "Mach I" logos in the kit. My hope would be that Revell will include these in the US version, or maybe even do it as a 2 in 1 that would build both versions.

On 11/3/2023 at 11:04 PM, Fat Brian said:

The only difference is the Euro version has a more extensive decal sheet. The plastic parts are the same. 

The decals in the European issue are not just more extensive. They're printed in Italy (by cartograf?) and appear to be higher quality than the ones in the US release. I don't know why they just don't use the same ones?

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 9:45 AM, vamach1 said:

I’m curious if the standard C code air cleaner is included.  This air cleaner was for the non ram-air cars which did not have the twist locks or the black or silver paint on the hood.

IMG_0378.jpeg

It's a Ram Air air cleaner, unfortunately. It looks like we'll have to wait until the 1973 version (Eleanor) comes out to get a correct non-Ram Air air cleaner. Hopefully the aftermarket can step up.

FE44157F-0B25-47C4-87A2-5DAB73CDF32F.jpeg.4573b3c1236bfdd2a607612499f0eafc.jpeg

• Like 1