Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell completely new Mustang coming

15 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Bad news for Round2: 

amt1187.jpg.303c256f129961838992b3a4449f0aef.jpg

Ouch.  ?  I know I give these kits a lot of grief but when they tried to pass of the MPC one as a Boss 351 that sort of put me over the edge.

It looks like now Revell will save me a whole lot of time piecing parts together from various sources.  People will still pay crazy money on Ebay for the older kits no matter how incorrect they are if they were never reissued in that form.  One Palmer kit was all I needed to see in person to realize we have come a long way from having to paint a car multiple colors to hide all the flaws. ? The 71 Palmer kit is even more hideous.

7098BBD6-0689-4BC6-850C-D0F965D243E4.jpeg

9D466308-3ED6-44B7-9A00-5BB048D0F304.jpeg

7A9790E4-E702-4816-AC12-691BDFFF2A2C.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

5 hours ago, Classicgas said:

I hope they do. I like them. Every darn muscle car kit out there has magnums. I want something different.

Oh, please... They look like teddy bear hub caps...??? 

They don't belong on an aggressive (sp) muscle car.... ?

Edited by Deuces ll

Nothing wrong with telling the car companies what you want, but yes, there's no need to be rude about it.

As for going with a Mustang, a few thoughts.

There are going to be certain modelling subjects that figure prominently in the public imagination.  For example, if you make plane kits, you'd better have a Bf-109 in your catalogue.   And as far as cars go, everyone knows what a Mustang is, and almost everyone likes Mustangs.  You see a nicely restored early Mustang drive by,  and I would defy even the biggest car hating tree hugger not to have a smile spread across their face.  So I would suggest that from a business standpoint,  It is probably a better choice than that base model '87 Borin Gazelle, no matter how special that bonding moment with your dad may have been.

Has it been done before?  As a few people have mentioned before, it hasn't necessarily been done right.  We got by for decades with AMT's '40 Ford kit, and maybe even thought it was fine, then Revell brought out their '40 Ford, and we realized how much better it could be.

I'm also going to toss out the possibility that, just maybe, this forum does not represent the sum total of the modeling universe.  There may well be people out there who don't have a basement full of Mustang kits.  There may very well even be people who don't have any Mustang kits at all, and might want to build one.

The fact that the new owners of Revell still wants to invest money into new kits, and still cater to the North American market,  is still encouraging.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

Revell Germany have issued a brand new E Type Jaguar kit in 1/24 , another iconic car, much revered like the Mustang..

The US market appears to favour 1/25 whereas 1/24 seems more in favour elsewhere. Revell find themselves pulled in two directions because of their US and European setups. Personally I would like all their new kits in 1/24 as it would be more compatible with the rest of the world. However, I do appreciate that 1/25 has sort of become the norm in the States, and many of the cars that many was lyrical about on this site would have little interest outside the US. Naturally there are some exceptions!