Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

2 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

I’ve had some great luck with Michael’s coupons in the past - they sent me a ‘60% off any item’ one late last year, which they let me use multiple times on the same shopping trip, thanks to a friendly cashier who said “my register will let you use this a couple more times today if you’re fast”.  Got three kits for about $10 each before I left that day.

That said, recently their standard 40% off coupon has been replaced with a 20% off one, and the Michael’s by me has stopped accepting Hobby Lobby coupons as a price match.  Now I have the luxury of having a HL nearby I prefer them anyway, but with the lesser-discount coupon that they have now my wife (a professional watercolor artist) and I have both been habitually heading to the Lobby instead knowing that their range is a little better and the price will be better too

Hi Jim!

In Canada, Michael's has a 30% on-line discount every single day, that you can get simply by evoquing it to the cashier. No need to show any paper coupon. The 60% is also among their policy, but mostly around mid-december to mid-january. To clear excess inventory around the holidays, I guess. That means kits for around 13$ Canadian, which is a good deal!

CT

8 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Jim!

In Canada, Michael's has a 30% on-line discount every single day, that you can get simply by evoquing it to the cashier. No need to show any paper coupon. The 60% is also among their policy, but mostly around mid-december to mid-january. To clear excess inventory around the holidays, I guess. That means kits for around 13$ Canadian, which is a good deal!

CT

That is a good deal!  I know you guys often get stiffed on the price of kits compared to what we pay here so that’s a good resource to have!

Of course, I’m lucky enough to have a decent LHS here that I just discovered so I’m going to try my best to put a lot of business his way rather than giving it all to Michael* or whoever, but for general supplies and things they don’t carry I’ll happily play the coupon game and let the ‘big two’ get as little of my money as possible.

*somewhat related story - was in a Michael’s in Brooklyn earlier this year, waiting on line behind a couple of teenage girls buying whatever teenage girls buy at Michael’s.  The line was moving unusually slowly and one girl turned to the other and said “oh my gawddddd, this line is taking like FOREVERRER.  When I get to the front I’m going to ask to speak to Michaellll about this” ??

Edited by CabDriver

14 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

That is a good deal!  I know you guys often get stiffed on the price of kits compared to what we pay here so that’s a good resource to have!

Of course, I’m lucky enough to have a decent LHS here that I just discovered so I’m going to try my best to put a lot of business his way rather than giving it all to Michael* or whoever, but for general supplies and things they don’t carry I’ll happily play the coupon game and let the ‘big two’ get as little of my money as possible.

*somewhat related story - was in a Michael’s in Brooklyn earlier this year, waiting on line behind a couple of teenage girls buying whatever teenage girls buy at Michael’s.  The line was moving unusually slowly and one girl turned to the other and said “oh my gawddddd, this line is taking like FOREVERRER.  When I get to the front I’m going to ask to speak to Michaellll about this” ??

Hi!

My LHS carries a vast array of supplies, so just like you, I support it as much as I can.

However, the new kits prices are unreal: some new releases of old AMT's very basic kits, for example the 71 Bird of paradise TBird, fetch 52$ Canadian. The owner explained that the "new" Revell has a policy forcing LHS to buy 10 units minimum at once (ten) for any kit they want. So much money is frozen there that he clains he has to pass overhead to customers... on every unit, regardless it's a Revell or not. 

How high can you go before your nose bleeds?

CT

1 hour ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

My LHS carries a vast array of supplies, so just like you, I support it as much as I can.

However, the new kits prices are unreal: some new releases of old AMT's very basic kits, for example the 71 Bird of paradise TBird, fetch 52$ Canadian. The owner explained that the "new" Revell has a policy forcing LHS to buy 10 units minimum at once (ten) for any kit they want. So much money is frozen there that he clains he has to pass overhead to customers... on every unit, regardless it's a Revell or not. 

How high can you go before your nose bleeds?

CT

Man, I get twitchy when I see kits for $30 ?

52 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

So, let's see...every time you roam flea market tables to find interesting OOP kits, actual savings , divided by the time spent , make for a great return, no? 

CT

Only if I don’t value an hour of my time very highly ??

The fun of the hunt makes it worth it though, I guess - the Goodwill by me is a place I check for kits fairly regularly and the only thing I found so far was some styrene sheet this week...but it’s fun to keep checking! ?

C940BAF2-F912-43F3-9B3D-8E50752946A9.thumb.jpeg.9475add1564f5d03e2a07f3ce1e34fd5.jpeg

9 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Only if I don’t value an hour of my time very highly ??

The fun of the hunt makes it worth it though, I guess - the Goodwill by me is a place I check for kits fairly regularly and the only thing I found so far was some styrene sheet this week...but it’s fun to keep checking! ?

C940BAF2-F912-43F3-9B3D-8E50752946A9.thumb.jpeg.9475add1564f5d03e2a07f3ce1e34fd5.jpeg

Hi!

That Evergreen pack, for 99 cents? Can't beat that!

CT

I was in the HL here yesterday, and there were 18 empty spots on the model car shelves. I asked the girl that works in the model section what was going on, and she said that the 40% sale wiped them out, and the warehouse can't keep up with the demand. I asked her if they were reloading with new kits and she said "I sure hope so".

It's Happening once again all "boxed" model kit's are  40% Off The sale starts today  (Sunday Oct 4th) on their web site, and Monday ( Oct 5th)  in the store's..................

Edited by ranma

I have two stores locally. One I could walk to if I wanted (Exton,PA), and a second store on my way home from work (King of Prussia, PA). 

On Friday I stopped in the King of Prussia store. They had two Land Rovers, I didn’t buy any as I already have one. No clearance kits. I just grabbed a spray can of Testors I needed and used my coupon. 

I thought about stopping at the second store, but that would’ve been too much excitement in one day! ?

I was in the closest HL a few days ago and a young woman was stocking the model aisle (but only with diecasts).  She didn't know for sure, but guessed they will be doing the 40% off on all kits every other week, until Christmas.

Edited by Mike999
goof

53 minutes ago, RichCostello said:

Now, all they need to do is get some kits on the shelves! I went in yesterday, after they restocked(HA) on Friday, and there were still nearly 20 empty spots in the model cars section.

Me thinks there are several if not many factors in play here...

Supply chain issues of kit shipments from China. Between their shutdowns and our shutdowns... There is less product

Surge in  model purchases due to Covid lockdowns. We have all seen new people getting back into hobby to occupy their time. They all had to buy models. Note that the puzzle aisles in Walmart were stripped bare early in the crisis, back before Hobby Lobby was allowed to reopen.

Revell changes.. I don’t believe their production and shipments are up to full speed just yet.

And of course HLs 40% off sales. Posts from modelers on the board and Facebook showing stacks of models some guys bought. 

Edited by Tom Geiger

24 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Me thinks there are several if not many factors in play here...

Supply chain issues of kit shipments from China. Between their shutdowns and our shutdowns... There is less product

Surge in  model purchases due to Covid lockdowns. We have all seen new people getting back into hobby to occupy their time. They all had to buy models. Note that the puzzle aisles in Walmart were stripped bare early in the crisis, back before Hobby Lobby was allowed to reopen.

Revell changes.. I don’t believe their production and shipments are up to full speed just yet.

And of course HLs 40% off sales. Posts from modelers on the board and Facebook showing stacks of models some guys bought. 

I agree completely. The girl who works in the model dept. told me that she keeps ordering kits, but the warehouse won't send them. So, I still find it hard to get very excited about 40% off kits, when they don't have any to buy.

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

I was in the closest HL a few days ago and a young woman was stocking the model aisle (but only with diecasts).  She didn't know for sure, but guessed they will be doing the 40% off on all kits every other week, until Christmas.

Pretty much my experience yesterday.