Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1963 Chevy II Nova Station Wagon - Craftsman Plus

Casey

On 12/20/2020 at 2:22 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I don't doubt that there are people that will buy it.

But will it be enough to justify all of the new tooling?

Takes a lot of units to make a profit.

Time will tell.

Steve

Don't worry, they're making money on it.  Whether or not they choose to use some of those profits to bring out another "refurbished" new/old tool remains to be seen.   

1 hour ago, the other Mike S. said:

Don't worry, they're making money on it.  Whether or not they choose to use some of those profits to bring out another "refurbished" new/old tool remains to be seen.   

That's the question.

If this one winds up being a flop, what are the odds that they will make more attempts?

Steve

Anyone who thinks Round2 would already be planning a second, more detailed variant before the first, simplified version is even released if they didn't have confidence both would be good sellers is simply not paying attention. Steve Goldman's comment earlier in the topic was really all anyone needed to read.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Anyone who thinks Round2 would already be planning a second, more detailed variant before the first, simplified version is even released if they didn't have confidence both would be good sellers is simply not paying attention. Steve Goldman's comment earlier in the topic was really all anyone needed to read.

Not to mention the two Vega Drag projects, and the Oldsmobile re-body.  Bodies are (should be obviously) the most expensive part of a kit to make, and you're not going to take a random flying leap off a cliff at tooling up 4 new bodies (and apparently 1 entirely new kit in the case of this Nova) without having a reasonably good idea where you're going to land.

Everyone should remember 2021 will be Round2's 13th year of producing AMT/MPC products, and 9th since taking outright control of the AMT/MPC tooling.  After a decade, I think they might have an idea what they're up doing over there in South Bend...

I'm happy that everyone is so confident that it will be a smash hit.

I'm sure that every other disaster produced by the model companies was destined to be a barn burner too.

Nobody produces a kit that they "know" is going to flop, especially these days.

Whether or not this particular model will be a success is a complete cr*p shoot, and I think we all know that.

Anyone who says that they "know" that this will be successful is talking out of their backside.

Round 2 is "hoping" that this offering will be successful, and that's about the best that can be said.

Again, I'm hoping that it sells extremely well, because it bodes well for future releases of other models, but not a single one of us can say exactly where this is headed.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

For what it's worth I have one on preorder and I never preorder kits.  I guess this one was a must-have for me.

I already own a nicely built original issue that’s too nice to touch. So I really don’t need one... that said, someone mentioned that the kit was in Hobby Lobby, so I did take a look yesterday afternoon.  And if they had them, I would’ve brought one home!

It’s a great opportunity to build one the way you might not of it was an expensive original. I know I will buy one maybe two. 
Seems an opportunity also to replace missing parts from an original, if the new parts will swap in ok. I did so on the newly released ‘72 Vega to replace taillights and grill on an original annual. 

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I already own a nicely built original issue that’s too nice to touch. So I really don’t need one... that said, someone mentioned that the kit was in Hobby Lobby, so I did take a look yesterday afternoon.  And if they had them, I would’ve brought one home!

Who said it was in Hobby Lobby?

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I'm happy that everyone is so confident that it will be a smash hit.

I'm sure that every other disaster produced by the model companies was destined to be a barn burner too.

Nobody produces a kit that they "know" is going to flop, especially these days.

Whether or not this particular model will be a success is a complete cr*p shoot, and I think we all know that.

Anyone who says that they "know" that this will be successful is talking out of their backside.

Round 2 is "hoping" that this offering will be successful, and that's about the best that can be said.

Again, I'm hoping that it sells extremely well, because it bodes well for future releases of other models, but not a single one of us can say exactly where this is headed.

Steve

I just don't get your negativity.  Numerous people have already shown much interest and many have already said they're ordered multiples, and you don't get 14 pages on a kit no one is interested in. 

Not to get off topic, but if this newly tooled Cutlass body is successful, the '66 Skylark GS could go the same way and eventually get a new variation with the '67 GS.  The '65 Olds Dynamic 88 could be done as '65 and '66 Starfires or even a '65 Jetstar 1.  If some of you aren't familiar with these big bucket seat Olds' models, look them up.  But the most potential would be to convert the '68-'69 Torino into a '68-'69 Cyclone with all of those variations (Cyclone Spoiler, etc.).  This Nova could spawn a '67 wagon or hardtop.  The possibilities are great.

4 hours ago, Classicgas said:

I just don't get your negativity.  Numerous people have already shown much interest and many have already said they're ordered multiples, and you don't get 14 pages on a kit no one is interested in. 

Not trying to be negative, just realistic.

Everybody gets excited about these new kits, and that's a good thing, but it doesn't necessarily translate into huge sales numbers.

One of the most requested kits in recent history was the '58 Edsel.

If we're to believe some of what we've heard on this and other boards, the AMT Edsel was not exactly a raucous success.

I'm just a little concerned that starting out a campaign of completely refurbishing long lusted after old kits could possibly end with a giant thud if this first offering winds up being a bad choice.

By the way, a couple of dozen guys posting back forth multiple times on a 337 post thread is not going to make much of a dent in the thousands of units that Round 2 is going to have to sell to make this venture a success.

It "could" be an indication of interest, but it might not mean much of anything.

I hope everyone is right!

I hope they sell a million of them!

I just hope that they didn't make a mistake by starting the ball rolling with a Nova wagon, that's all.

Steve

RichCostello

• MCM Ohana
  •  
  •  
  • Members
  •  
  • 1,186 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Costello
  On 12/20/2020 at 5:59 PM, moparfarmer said:

Who would have thought that a 59 Imperial would be a seller two or three years ago?  Try and find one..Never really wanted one but did find one and bought it..Would be a nice slump buster..Haven't opened it yet but thinking a nice light lavender shade with white and body color interior built stock..

It's on the shelf at Hobby Lobby right now.

The person was referring to the AMT 59 Imperial when they said  "it's on the shelf at Hobby Lobby right now."    Hope that clears that up.

Edited by GMP440

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I hope everyone is right!

I hope they sell a million of [ the 1963 Nova Wagons ] !

I just hope that they didn't make a mistake by starting the ball rolling with a Nova wagon, that's all.

I understand your skepticism ; however , looking at how quickly the long-sought-after 1972 Vega Grumpy's Toy Pro Stock was sold-out before it was even released... I don't think that Round2 would invest in --of all things-- a Nova Wagon if they didn't think that there was any sales potential . Same goes for the 1978 Dodge D-100 Pickup --- that's a hot seller , too . And the 1967 Impala Sports Sedan ( Supernatural , et al. ) .

I certainly agree with your assessment regarding (to paraphrase) The opinions of members of a model car forum doesn't equate to high sales potential . I never knew that the 1958 Edsel kit was such an epic raspberry sales-wise --- I honestly wonder why ? No , I'm not being facetious , either .

BTW... I can't wait to see what kinds of magick you work on this upcoming '63 Wagon !

9 hours ago, RichCostello said:

Who said it was in Hobby Lobby?

You did.  Sorta.

Several posts back Moparfarmer diverted the discussion to the 1959 Imperial (as another example of an "oddity" reissue that was an unlikely success).  Then RichCostello posted that it was currently on the shelf at Hobby Lobby.

When I first read RichCostello's post, I too thought it was indicating the Nova station wagon was at Hobby Lobby (after all, it's a thread about the Nova), but re-reading it revealed it was apparently a referrence to the Imperial.

I don't think the Nova has made it to Hobby Lobby yet . . . it's still scheduled for March release, I believe. 

Sometimes it takes a road map to follow conversations around here. Hope this helps.  

??

Edited by Danno

3 hours ago, GMP440 said:

RichCostello

• MCM Ohana
  •  
  •  
  • Members
  •  
  • 1,186 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Costello
  On 12/20/2020 at 5:59 PM, moparfarmer said:

Who would have thought that a 59 Imperial would be a seller two or three years ago?  Try and find one..Never really wanted one but did find one and bought it..Would be a nice slump buster..Haven't opened it yet but thinking a nice light lavender shade with white and body color interior built stock..

It's on the shelf at Hobby Lobby right now.

The person was referring to the AMT 59 Imperial when they said  "it's on the shelf at Hobby Lobby right now."    Hope that clears that up.

What is this supposed to mean?

5 minutes ago, Danno said:

You did.  Sorta.

Several posts back Moparfarmer diverted the discussion to the 1959 Imperial (as another example of an "oddity" reissue that was an unlikely success).  Then RichCostello posted that it was currently on the shelf at Hobby Lobby.

When I first read RichCostello's post, I too thought it was indicating the Nova station wagon was at Hobby Lobby (after all, it's a thread about the Nova), but re-reading it revealed it was apparently a referrence to the Imperial.

I don't think the Nova has made it to Hobby Lobby yet . . . it's still scheduled for March release, I believe. 

Sometimes it takes a road map to follow conversations around here. Hope this helps.  

??

Yeah, it can be confusing when the subject of the original thread isn't talked about for three, or four pages.

24 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I understand your skepticism ; however , looking at how quickly the long-sought-after 1972 Vega Grumpy's Toy Pro Stock was sold-out before it was even released... I don't think that Round2 would invest in --of all things-- a Nova Wagon if they didn't think that there was any sales potential . Same goes for the 1978 Dodge D-100 Pickup --- that's a hot seller , too . And the 1967 Impala Sports Sedan ( Supernatural , et al. ) .

I certainly agree with your assessment regarding (to paraphrase) The opinions of members of a model car forum doesn't equate to high sales potential . I never knew that the 1958 Edsel kit was such an epic raspberry sales-wise --- I honestly wonder why ? No , I'm not being facetious , either .

BTW... I can't wait to see what kinds of magick you work on this upcoming '63 Wagon !

I sincerely hope that I'm wrong and this kit is a roaring success.......I really do.

I'm just not convinced and will wait to see what actually takes place.

In the mean time, I truly hope that Round 2 will continue with this idea of bringing back some of the long lost kits that so many of us would like to see again.

As for me building a '63 Nova wagon?......you may have to wait for a considerable amount of time on that.

It's pretty likely that I won't even buy one, and if I do, I have far too many projects that I have real interest in that will take precedence.

It will probably never happen.

Steve

10 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I sincerely hope that I'm wrong and this kit is a roaring success.......I really do.

I'm just not convinced and will wait to see what actually takes place.

In the mean time, I truly hope that Round 2 will continue with this idea of bringing back some of the long lost kits that so many of us would like to see again.

As for me building a '63 Nova wagon?......you may have to wait for a considerable amount of time on that.

It's pretty likely that I won't even buy one, and if I do, I have far too many projects that I have real interest in that will take precedence.

It will probably never happen.

Steve

Well, you can probably just assemble it "as is" since it's basically a snap kit molded in an off-white color I've been told.  Then, if you want to add paint and detail it later, you can take it apart and do it that way.  That's what I'm going to do when I get mine.  It'll still look good built up from what you get in the box.  At least, I hope so. 

7 hours ago, RichCostello said:

What is this supposed to mean?

What the person was trying to say was that the AMT 59 Imperial kit can be found at Hobby Lobby.   The person was referring to the Imperial kit and not the 63 Chevy II wagon kit.  That's all that was.

I think when people read the statement they thought the person was referring to the upcoming 63 Chevy II.  That statement got a few people excited. 

After reading that I bet some people were going Hobby Lobby to get the 63 Chevy II kit.

41 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

After reading that I bet some people were going Hobby Lobby to get the 63 Chevy II kit.

Yup, I took a look at HL. Not a wasted trip, I got paint I needed with the magic coupon. 

I couldn’t remember where I saw it, this board or the Facebook ones..