Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1963 Chevy II Nova Station Wagon - Craftsman Plus

Casey

3 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

You are right Rick. I wonder where and how that rumor start? It's amazing how many have ran with that and a other similar stories over the years.  

Because any 4 Cylinder was an Iron Duke to any old guy! Honestly, I had many an Old Timer, someone at least 25 years older than me, tell me that they ran those Iron Duke engines, and that they came in the Chevy II and the Pontiacs. 

On 12/11/2020 at 3:31 AM, ranma said:

This is a FALSE statement. the Iron duke actually was very different from the Chevy II Nova's four banger. According to  Hemmings   Sept 20,2019 Article : For the last time the Iron Duke was not the same engine as the Chevy II four cylinder! By Daniel Strohl

So, elements from the original 153 cid I4 were used in it's design.  It's a common mistake to make unless you read the hemmings article.  However, the second half of the statement is correct so I'm half right.  Actually, to be honest with you, I wasn't necessarily thinking that the Iron Duke was in the '68-'70 Nova, just a 4cyl engine of similar displacement that was available in the Chevy II back then.  I guess it came out different when I wrote it.   

Edited by the other Mike S.

On 10/1/2020 at 4:25 PM, Justin Porter said:

Yes. Yes I did. The annuals were a byproduct of an unusual time when certain "model" companies could pad their bottom line by offering unassembled examples of dealership advertising giveaways. AMT, MPC, and Johan were being hired to produce these marketing trinkets and then could add a nice profit cherry on top by tossing decals and instructions in a box with the unassembled leftovers. They had their place during a very brief window in the history of the hobby, and they vanished in the same breath as the competitiveness of the domestic auto industry. 

I understand their place in the grand scheme of things. I don't regard them with the fondness that many do. I feel their legacy is more of a hindrance than a help to domestic model kit manufacturers who still struggle with the very concept of "A detailed miniature of a physical object". 

On 10/1/2020 at 2:11 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

You just described every American "annual" ever produced.

This one is no different.

As long as you know that going in, it's up to you to decide if it's worth the price to you.

For someone who really wants to build a '63 Nova wagon, it's a blank canvas.

It will be up to the modeler to address those issues if they see fit.

This is merely another re-issue of an old tooling.

It costs Round 2 very little in comparison to re-pop these old kits, so why not?

If they don't sell, they're not out a train car full of money.

Better to have them offered than not.

Steve

Steve,

I think that Round 2 will be out some money on this kit, if it does Not sell. As far as I can see, they tooled a Completely New interior bucket ( The Original had Both Seats molded in, the New one has a separate Rear seat part). Secondly, the Body is New Tooling also, since it does Not have the molded in " Under the Hood" details that the original kit had, i.e. Radiator, Wire detail, Battery etc. The Front bumper/Grill is new since there are No molded in Headlight detail (Separate Clear Lenses). It looks to me that the Only original part in this kit is the under frame chassis, wheel backs, axle spacers and stuffed animal. The Glass maybe original, not sure. So All in All, Round 2 Spent a good bit of money on New tooling for this kit, I am sure they expect it to sell well or received a lot of requests for it. Happy to see it re-issued. I am expecting a future Coca Cola Version LOL ! as well as a Drag car with a V8 Engine and Drag Parts.

Eric T.

14 hours ago, Mark said:

The original kit had the interior molded with the front seat as part of it, and a separate rear seat, just like this all-new kit.  All new, no parts reused from the original.  Not even the tires or clear parts.

What Mark said. 

If anyone doubts the accuracy of what Mark says, check out my full kit contents review which discusses the completely all new tooling (zero carryover parts from the original Craftsman kit) and shows pix of the points Mark describes above.  It also includes the parts of the new kit that point to future kit variations coming from this tooling investment.  For those that did not see it earlier in the thread, here's the link...  (make sure to read the captions that are below each individual picture for all the details.....)  TIM 

Someone from Round 2 has already stated that there will be a "full" version with a stock engine, and even the trailer and display/accessory engine.  Come on guys, you don't think they'd tool in that engine compartment detail and only issue it as a curbside kit?  The full kit will probably come after the curbside version, which will also be the one used in a drag team kit should that be offered.

4 hours ago, tim boyd said:

What Mark said. 

If anyone doubts the accuracy of what Mark says, check out my full kit contents review which discusses the completely all new tooling (zero carryover parts from the original Craftsman kit) and shows pix of the points Mark describes above.  It also includes the parts of the new kit that point to future kit variations coming from this tooling investment.  For those that did not see it earlier in the thread, here's the link...  (make sure to read the captions that are below each individual picture for all the details.....)  TIM 

I guess I never really doubted anyone's assertions that this was an all new, freshly tooled kit.

It just seemed odd to me that their first attempt at resurrecting this "annual-ish" type of subject matter would start with something like a '63 Nova wagon.

Of all of the cars that they could have re-engineered in this manner, this first offering seems to me as if it would be the most likely to fail.

Personally, I'm still not sure that I will buy one.

Just not something that's awfully high on my "want to build" list.

I would have thought that a re-engineered '66 Skylark, '71 Mercury Cyclone or Dodge Demon, '68 Coronet R/T, or any number of other subjects, would have been much more likely to succeed, creating excitement for others to come.

The '63 Nova wagon doesn't stir a lot of excitement for me, and if there is a more detailed version coming in the future, I absolutely will not be spending the money on a curbside offering.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

17 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

I know people that have pre ordered multiples of this kit. I don't think it'll be a poor seller.

I don't doubt that there are people that will buy it.

But will it be enough to justify all of the new tooling?

Takes a lot of units to make a profit.

Time will tell.

Steve

35 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Time will tell.

Steve

Who would have thought that a 59 Imperial would be a seller two or three years ago?  Try and find one..Never really wanted one but did find one and bought it..Would be a nice slump buster..Haven't opened it yet but thinking a nice light lavender shade with white and body color interior built stock..

15 minutes ago, moparfarmer said:

a 59 Imperial would be a seller two or three years ago?  Try and find one..Never really wanted one but did find one and bought it

The '59 Imperial can be kit bashed with amt's '57 Chrysler 300 . Only thing needed to do is open the hood.  I used the '59 chassis under the '57, and glued the hood shut on it as well.

As for the '63 Nova Wagon I have three of them on pre-order!

DSC03745.JPG

DSC03746.JPG

10 minutes ago, ranma said:

The '59 Imperial can be kit bashed with amt's '57 Chrysler 300 . Only thing needed to do is open the hood.  I used the '59 chassis under the '57, and glued the hood shut on it as well.

As for the '63 Nova Wagon I have three of them on pre-order!

DSC03745.JPG

DSC03746.JPG

That Imperial looks very classy..I always thought that Cadillac was the classiest looking 59..Until I looked at a 59 Imperial at a car show in Sioux Falls SD years ago..It was light metallic green with matching interior..What really set it off was the thick swivel seats and the dash..Beautiful..

6 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Time will tell.

Steve

It's a volume play.  They release it as a Craftsman "Plus" kit first, and it will sell a heap to people who love oddities.

Then you reissue it was a full kit with the trailer ala this - 

vintage-amt-63-chevy-ii-nova-station_1_e55483dc08c4911341fc14a699719796.jpg.8aaf21e1475e132d7b57f459092c6629.jpg.daa09130c3dcccb96ba8c69824ae9190.jpg

And just when people thought their wallets were safe and no one could punch their nostalgia feels any further you drops this Drag Combo - 

f9425d2b78907969d15ea95a393c781d.jpg.8fca1c3ba44620ad41ed7c85b56fabaa.jpg

Step 4 - PROFIT

I got dollars to donuts I can sell AT LEAST 15k of those Nova Wagons kits combined worldwide, which would be enough to pay for the tooling and make a few money dollars on the side.

6 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

Who would have thought that a 59 Imperial would be a seller two or three years ago?  Try and find one..Never really wanted one but did find one and bought it..Would be a nice slump buster..Haven't opened it yet but thinking a nice light lavender shade with white and body color interior built stock..

It's on the shelf at Hobby Lobby right now.

8 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

It's a volume play.  They release it as a Craftsman "Plus" kit first, and it will sell a heap to people who love oddities.

Then you reissue it was a full kit with the trailer ala this - 

vintage-amt-63-chevy-ii-nova-station_1_e55483dc08c4911341fc14a699719796.jpg.8aaf21e1475e132d7b57f459092c6629.jpg.daa09130c3dcccb96ba8c69824ae9190.jpg

And just when people thought their wallets were safe and no one could punch their nostalgia feels any further you drops this Drag Combo - 

f9425d2b78907969d15ea95a393c781d.jpg.8fca1c3ba44620ad41ed7c85b56fabaa.jpg

Step 4 - PROFIT

I got dollars to donuts I can sell AT LEAST 15k of those Nova Wagons kits combined worldwide, which would be enough to pay for the tooling and make a few money dollars on the side.

What James said.

It is helpful to keep in mind that every new tooling investment being made at Round 2 these days is being done with the perspective of how to generate multiple kit releases from the initial tooling investment.  They would not have gone ahead if the "Craftsman Plus" kit was the only one that would result from the new tooling. 

I don't know all the precise details about Round 2's all-new Chevy II Nova Wagon "cycle plan" (as we called it in the auto industry), but I'd bet the cadence James lays out here is pretty accurate and possibly stone cold exactly on the money.

TIM