Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1963 Chevy II Nova Station Wagon - Craftsman Plus

Casey

The panic is on! ?

I saw one ebay seller offereing them for pre-sale, and they moved 250-ish kits, so no surprise the next two to list them on eBay sold out. I'm sure Round2 planned ahead and made plenty, knowing this kit would sell briskly.

1 hour ago, slusher said:

Seems strange that eBay vendors have it before all the big internet hobby shops like modelroundup and eBay vendors are cheaper also.

It all depends on what wholesaler various places use. Hobby Lobby and HobbyTown USA do their own. So the kits have to be shipped twice. 

A lot of the new kit sellers on eBay are brick and mortar hobby shops as well. The "automodels2" that people are referencing here is Auto Models, LLC in Greensburg, PA who's a major show vendor on the East Coast and has an actual storefront. 

Screenshot_20210112-193302.png.bef16e076e57bbd1cbe3a3cc50fa0c8b.png

5 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Which means they will be marked up and on eBay before you know it.

Well isn't that always the way? But what I understood from John (the above referenced hobby shop) was the first kits would come in Monday, and then he was getting a second larger shipment today (Wednesday 1/13 for those reading from the past), so more should be available soon from him at least.

automodels2 sent me a email via ebay that the two I bought were shipped, so hopefully I get them sometime early next week.. One is getting the six banger from an '60 chevy pickup, I updated the engine to look like one that a nova would have. The second Nova will get a 283 V-8 which I read someplace could be done by the dealership for extra cost..

3 hours ago, ranma said:

automodels2 sent me a email via ebay that the two I bought were shipped, so hopefully I get them sometime early next week.. One is getting the six banger from an '60 chevy pickup, I updated the engine to look like one that a nova would have. The second Nova will get a 283 V-8 which I read someplace could be done by the dealership for extra cost..

Will the 6cyl form the 60 Chevy pickup fit in the 63 Chevy ll Nova wagon or could you put the V8 out of the Chevy 65 El Camino since both have a promo chassis.?

Edited by slusher

From all that I seen , I Think the inline six will, because this release don't have a metal axle in the front (axle pins instead). It may take a little alteration but I'll know more when the kit's arrive in my hands. The 283 will likely come from the amt '57 Chevy kit (opening trunk version)..

15 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

It all depends on what wholesaler various places use. Hobby Lobby and HobbyTown USA do their own. So the kits have to be shipped twice. 

And most small hobby shops get their models from distributors who sell them broken cases.. as small shops may order 2-6 of a new kit. I know if one that had standing order with Stevens for 2 of each new kit.  

So these were also “double shipped”.  Volume sellers like Model King, sellers at shows and Internet, have direct ship accounts with model companies so they may get a few days jump, as well as a price advantage, eliminating the distributors markup and shipping cost.   I was once at Dave’s house when UPS showed up and dumped 60 cases of a new release in his driveway!

7 hours ago, slusher said:

Will the 6cyl form the 60 Chevy pickup fit in the 63 Chevy ll Nova wagon or could you put the V8 out of the Chevy 65 El Camino since both have a promo chassis.?

Neither are correct for stock.  The correct 6 is in the Trumpeter Nova. A V8 was not offered that year.

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

. A V8 was not offered that year.

I know it wasn't a factory option, But a dealership could do an engine swap according to a nova  data site I seen online. It stated that though all '63 nova's top engine was only the inline six, a buyer could have the dealership install a V-8  for an additional ($1,500)The two popular engines were the 283 and the 327. How many buyers paid for the extra is any ones guess. Yanko done his cars at his dealership, Most with non factory options added.

Edited by ranma

13 hours ago, ranma said:

I know it wasn't a factory option, But a dealership could do an engine swap according to a nova  data site I seen online. It stated that though all '63 nova's top engine was only the inline six, a buyer could have the dealership install a V-8  for an additional ($1,500)The two popular engines were the 283 and the 327. How many buyers paid for the extra is any ones guess. Yanko done his cars at his dealership, Most with non factory options added.

Yeah. I was just trying to answer Carl's question on the 6.

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

Yeah. I was just trying to answer Carl's question on the 6.

16 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Neither are correct for stock.  The correct 6 is in the Trumpeter Nova. A V8 was not offered that year.

While the big six from the truck is never correct for any Nova, and the the smallblock was not a factory option, I think Carl's question was about fit. I would say other than the unnecessary hole through the block in the 65 El Camino engine (although a bonus if you want to use a real axle instead of the pins) that it would likely fit very well. Of course if you are looking for a more accurate looking small block, there's any number of newer tool options, including the 66 Nova engine.

As far as the truck engine goes, I believe that one was near the last of the line for the old Stovebolts (or Blue Flame), and fit or no fit, I can't think of any reason anyone would use it. The six cylinders made available in 1962 were lighter and more powerful. (And harder to find in scale.)

One thing for those, like myself, who will be putting a V-8 engine in this kit. Because of the front suspension design used in this 1:1 car the V-8 engine required an Oil Pan with a front sump. Just turn the Oil Pan 180 degrees and minimal if any other modifications would be required beyond that. This is much the way the factory did it when the V-8 became a factory option until the '68 models. 

6 hours ago, Casey said:

Not sure if anyone who might know is at liberty to say, but perhaps the forthcoming full(er) detail version will include the correct inline six-cylinder engine, and not a SBC. We can only hope.

Based on what they've done so far,  it should have the 6 cylinder copied straight from the original issue Customizing kit with the exception of having the axle hole filled in. 

Steve 

spacer.png

10 hours ago, Classicgas said:
On 1/13/2021 at 10:46 AM, slusher said:

MCW Resin makes the old Nova six 

MCW Resin makes the correct six...

https://mcwfinishes.com/shop/ols/search?keywords=Chevy six cylinder &sortOption=descend_by_match

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

Based on what they've done so far,  it should have the 6 cylinder copied straight from the original issue Customizing kit with the exception of having the axle hole filled in. 

Thanks for the info, Steve. ?