Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1963 Chevy II Nova Station Wagon - Craftsman Plus

Casey

14 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Got mine today, haven't had a chance to open them yet...neat little boxes.

The box is a nice design. I honestly wouldn't be upset if kits could fit in that size box...allows me to store even more...oh, wait....?

In all serious, though, there are times I wonder if we really hit the wall, and a return to a simpler product might not be so bad an idea.

Charlie Larkin

On 1/22/2021 at 9:53 AM, charlie8575 said:

The box is a nice design. I honestly wouldn't be upset if kits could fit in that size box...allows me to store even more...oh, wait....?

In all serious, though, there are times I wonder if we really hit the wall, and a return to a simpler product might not be so bad an idea.

Charlie Larkin

I'm sure this was a good test. Subject matter is key. 

10 hours ago, wrenchr said:

I'm sure this was a good test. Subject matter is key. 

If this was a test market for a concept, I wonder what else could come next?

I could see a few subjects that have been floated, but would be too expensive to make a full-detail kit, but a simple kit like this, which is less expensive to tool up, we could see some good stuff coming down the line.

Charlie Larkin

8 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

I hope so!  

Back when Polar Lights was active they pioneered an easy build but detailed snap kit concept.. look at their Volkswagen Herbie kit.. it came with multi color plastic parts, and went together easy in a short time and gave the casual builder a pleasant experience and a fair model for their shelf!

I gave one to my 13 year old nephew, he put it together and was quite pleased. Perfect for kids, beginning modelers and older people who are losing their dexterity.

The same model was designed that experienced modelers could paint and detail it into a nice model, or use it as a start point for a full blown project.  

Aside from the Beetle, there was a 1965ish GTO and Dodge, as well as the last modern GTO in this concept. 

Overall a brilliant concept!  And guess what? Tom Lowe is still in charge.. maybe we’ll see more kits like this.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Tom's right. 

In fact, the "Herbie" Beetle morphed into a Spiderman version and just this past year, a Coca Cola branded kit.

It was a hit with the Goodguys Rod & Custom Association  "Take-N-Make" crowd at the SouthWest Nationals in November.  A little  more challenging than the typical Make-N-Take kit, but doable for most young-uns and definitely a good kit for older youth, tweens, and even the allegedly-grown ups.

??

11 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

I could see a few subjects that have been floated, but would be too expensive to make a full-detail kit, but a simple kit like this, which is less expensive to tool up, we could see some good stuff coming down the line.

Charlie Larkin

From what I understand, the basic concept Round 2 plans to follow is to take a kit that once existed, scan it and develop tooling from that scan, engineer in a few quality improvements (like clear headlamp lenses) and enhancements, then produce the new kit.   This avoids much of the investment in developing an all-new kit of a given subject. 

That being the case, personally I would expect to see newly tooled kits based on old, existing models, rather than new, never produced topics.   As a theoretical example (and recognizing the many requests voiced in this forum), using this approach Round 2 would be more likely to do a newly tooled 1968 Coronet R/T based on the original MPC annual kit, than a 1966 Coronet 500 Hemi (which has never been produced in scale.).  

We'll have to see....but based on the way the '63 Nova wagon has apparently sold so far, I think we stand a much better chance of seeing this type of kit development approach continue to develop at Round 2, than I would have guessed say six months ago.  TIM 

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

From what I understand, the basic concept Round 2 plans to follow is to take a kit that once existed, scan it and develop tooling from that scan, engineer in a few quality improvements (like clear headlamp lenses) and enhancements, then produce the new kit.   This avoids much of the investment in developing an all-new kit of a given subject. 

That being the case, personally I would expect to see newly tooled kits based on old, existing models, rather than new, never produced topics.   As a theoretical example (and recognizing the many requests voiced in this forum), using this approach Round 2 would be more likely to do a newly tooled 1968 Coronet R/T based on the original MPC annual kit, than a 1966 Coronet 500 Hemi (which has never been produced in scale.).  

We'll have to see....but based on the way the '63 Nova wagon has apparently sold so far, I think we stand a much better chance of seeing this type of kit development approach continue to develop at Round 2, than I would have guessed say six months ago.  TIM 

I agree, if Round2 has fragments of kits left like the Nova Wagon, they can introduce new kits. A 1968 or 1969 Impala comes to my mind. The 1976 Caprice has remnants of those kits; engine and chassis.

There are no perfect kits produced, but many are a huge stepping stone to creating the model you want. Just must opinion.

2 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

I agree, if Round2 has fragments of kits left like the Nova Wagon, they can introduce new kits. A 1968 or 1969 Impala comes to my mind. The 1976 Caprice has remnants of those kits; engine and chassis.

Smart money would develop those off the 67 Chevy kit.. they should have all the files handy..

6 hours ago, tim boyd said:

I would tend to agree. Makes new 1958-'60-something annuals that have been lost/wrecked all the more possible. That, along with the occasional all-new tool, will keep Round 2 busy for a very long time.

Charlie Larkin

4 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

There are no perfect kits produced, but many are a huge stepping stone to creating the model you want. Just must opinion.

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Smart money would develop those off the 67 Chevy kit.. they should have all the files handy..

I tend to agree with Tom. The '67s are already miles ahead of the '70 that the 1967-'69 originals became. The new tooling for the bodies/chrome/interior wouldn't be as expensive as all-new full kits. I am, to be honest, a bit surprised, that either a '68 or '69 hasn't shown up yet.

Charlie Larkin

9 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I hope so!  

Back when Polar Lights was active they pioneered an easy build but detailed snap kit concept.. look at their Volkswagen Herbie kit.. it came with multi color plastic parts, and went together easy in a short time and gave the casual builder a pleasant experience and a fair model for their shelf!

I gave one to my 13 year old nephew, he put it together and was quite pleased. Perfect for kids, beginning modelers and older people who are losing their dexterity.

The same model was designed that experienced modelers could paint and detail it into a nice model, or use it as a start point for a full blown project.  

Aside from the Beetle, there was a 1965ish GTO and Dodge, as well as the last modern GTO in this concept. 

Overall a brilliant concept!  And guess what? Tom Lowe is still in charge.. maybe we’ll see more kits like this.

I have one of those 2005-ish GTOs. Really nice kit. I should get it finished up sometime.

Charlie Larkin

8 minutes ago, charlie8575 said:

Makes new 1958-'60-something annuals that have been lost/wrecked all the more possible. That, along with the occasional all-new tool, will keep Round 2 busy for a very long time.

OK. Next logical step: Clone and bring back the '60 Ford pickup, a consistent $100-$150 seller for good builtups. Assuming they can pull it off in less time than it takes for Moebius to create multiple versions of a new tool full-detail '57-'60 F-100 that will have builders starting swordfights over the inaccuracies tango_face_grin.png.eabb432d0403210ed55a29e390acae94.png.

1 minute ago, ChrisBcritter said:

OK. Next logical step: Clone and bring back the '60 Ford pickup, a consistent $100-$150 seller for good builtups. Assuming they can pull it off in less time than it takes for Moebius to create multiple versions of a new tool full-detail '57-'60 F-100 that will have builders starting swordfights over the inaccuracies tango_face_grin.png.eabb432d0403210ed55a29e390acae94.png.

Re: swordfights: ?? but not wrong.

I think the big-dollar kits will be the targets, yes. Those are the ones that have demonstrable marketability.

I wonder if they'll expand to some of the desirable non-AMT/MPC kits, too? The Jo-Han '65-'66 Plymouth Fury comes to mind immediately as a big-dollar seller in almost any condition.

Charlie Larkin

21 minutes ago, the other Mike S. said:

Are we sure the Nova wagon body was "scanned" from an original?  I just received mine, but I don't have an original issue body to compare it to.

This was answered by a very credible person long ago in this topic. While there is now a lot of fluff and many off-topic replies in this topic, it's still worth re-reading for the valuable posts.

I received the one which I'd ordered ( eBay seller ) , and I'm in love with it !  Like everyone else , I never thought that a stock version would see the light of day again ( been wanting one since seeing a stock one in Scale Auto Enthusiast back in 1987 ! ) .

The only "complaint" I have ---and it's a petty one at that--- is the moulded-on exhaust . My plan is to install the L-79 / 4-speed from the AMT '66 Nova , with the AMT 1970 LT-1 / 4-speed from the '70 Z-28 a close-second ; maybe the 454 from the AMT '70 Baldwin-Motion Camaro... maybe .

Keep 'em coming , Round2 ! 

4 hours ago, Casey said:

This was answered by a very credible person long ago in this topic. While there is now a lot of fluff and many off-topic replies in this topic, it's still worth re-reading for the valuable posts.

https://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/round-2-amt-1963-no/round-2-amt-1963-no/   Not sure if this was what Casey is referring to, but it addresses Mike's question....

4 hours ago, the other Mike S. said:

Are we sure the Nova wagon body was "scanned" from an original?  I just received mine, but I don't have an original issue body to compare it to.

Mike, in particular, see images #29 to #37, along with the captions for each image, as posted at the link above...

Cheers...TIM 

5 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

The only "complaint" I have ---and it's a petty one at that--- is the moulded-on exhaust . My plan is to install the L-79 / 4-speed from the AMT '66 Nova

After mine arrived, I looked at it with  the '66 chassis. It looks to me, like merely trimming the back of the chassis pan, where it inserts in the body, so that it's narrow enough to fit, makes it virtually a dead drop-on. It  looks to me like  the WB even aligns. Granted, my look was very rudimentary, but...

43 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

After mine arrived, I looked at it with  the '66 chassis. It looks to me, like merely trimming the back of the chassis pan, where it inserts in the body, so that it's narrow enough to fit, makes it virtually a dead drop-on. It  looks to me like  the WB even aligns. Granted, my look was very rudimentary, but...

Haven't had a chance to do with mine, but plan to check it out..wheelbase was the same from '62-67, so the 2nd gen chassis should be fine. 

Edited by Rob Hall