Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball 2021 theme suggestion

Jantrix

2 hours ago, disconovaman said:

You and me both ? I've been trying not to over think it, but it's all I've been thinking about. ?  I wouldn't call my thoughts interesting though, more just trying to get my mind wrapped around it. ?

I'm eager to start the Official build thread too. I hope to see ya at the starting line!

Lol..my thoughts exactly, once the theme has been picked, it's all I can think about..I'm dry fitting the C***  out of this kit already  lol

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

the Vette would make for a better racer. Unless something new pops up on the radar

The vette would be a close copy to the 76 in The Cannonball movie...That car was literally brand new... And I feel the same way as you, I have an idea of what I'm leaning towards but I'm keeping my eyes peeled for something else, until I'm fully committed. 

i009255.jpg

06890d26b1d74551bebd98be60343e11.jpg

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

The vette would be a close copy to the 76 in The Cannonball movie...That car was literally brand new... And I feel the same way as you, I have an idea of what I'm leaning towards but I'm keeping my eyes peeled for something else, until I'm fully committed. 

I've never seen the Cannonball film. No one has ever told me it was that good.

6 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I've never seen the Cannonball film. No one has ever told me it was that good.

It's not that good, but that doesn't mean not entertaining. A star studded cast in a paper thin plot getting mixed up in 90-minutes of Hal Needham hi jinx. Glib Brock Yates penned dialog, lots of (now dated) cars and stunts and Jackie Chan doing what he does best. Light, popcorn chewing fun in a sort of "Dukes" style.

Edited by Lunajammer

I'd love to see somebody do this. They've been selling for generally under $40 on eBay. Under the NASCAR covers are stock features. Not real popular with NASCAR builders because it's not accurate. Not popular with stock builders because it's not stock. Pretty much falls into this theme and there's lots of time.

JohanTorino.jpeg.c57f7635533180455213f030572c1700.jpeg

JOHANTORINOINSTRUCTIONS.jpeg.74795cf351ca55b98d908c5e5ce93d0c.jpeg

7 hours ago, Jantrix said:

No one has ever told me it was that good.

The one in which the Vette is used in is the original. It stars David Carridene and his younger brother Robert (Revenge of the Nerds) also the driver of the Vette. I suppose it's worth watching. So I won't spoil it... It is less ridiculous and more raunchy (Characters die) than the Reynolds/Delouise comedy. 

I just watched it yesterday! I have watched all the movies related to the Cannonball this week, including Speed Zone with John Candy. I hear a remake is currently in the works.

11 minutes ago, Lunajammer said:

I'd love to see somebody do this.

I dig it... I was thinking about going with an 80's Style Nascar maybe, but who knows? Maybe I'll build a 70 Monte Carlo or a 60's Nascar... 

I remember back in the day Mary Kay Cosmetics would give their top salesperson of the year a new car. This lady in my town used to ride around in her "Mary Kay Pink" Buick Skylark 84-86 or so bodystyle, white interior and white half vinyl top. Wire spoke hubcaps and white wall tires.. It would be the ultimate disguise for the challenge, I think...

s-l1600.jpg

This should give me the excuse to build the Tamiya Subaru Impreza WRC ('98 Monte-Carlo).  I've done a factory body on a race car chassis before, but it's hardly a sleeper.  I didn't really care to do the race decals anyway, and could do radar absorbing flat black paint, so this is my idea.  A rule should be minimum two people, which is perfect for a rally car anyway.  Would have to ditch the killer light pod though, not street legal. ?

Yeah... at this point I'm kinda just brain storming. I was thinking about the Monte Carlo too. I'm thinking a low key color maybe two-tone with vinyl top... Open the doors and trunk... Re-engineer the interior to hide the cage and allow for passengers... add some weathering, maybe tint the windows? ? update it with an LS/ 6 speed... I'll probably use as much as the original nascar kit as possible (just to challenge myself) I don't know? I'm gonna think about it awhile longer. ???

IMG_1708C.jpeg

ef15d49184c9acdb21a4f3011360fe22.jpg

s-l400 (1).jpg

Very new guy here. I’ve always followed these but never entered into one until now if you’ll have me! Great idea to build a purpose built race car while stripping the purpose out of it! Definitely makes you think on how to make it look as stock and streetable as possible. This would be a perfect idea for a Mercedes C Class road racer that’s been on my shelf for a long time. 

I think Rob’s idea is a good one. I have a couple old MPC Southern Stocker cars laying around that I’ve thought of “streetifying” for a while.

So, depending on how January through next November go, I may give it a try!

image.jpg

Edited by Erik Smith

On 12/5/2020 at 8:51 PM, Dave72 said:

I’ve always followed these but never entered into one until now if you’ll have me!

We'd be glad to have you. Welcome aboard...I will have the official build thread up soon, announcing all the rules, list of competitors etc, etc...

4 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

I have a couple old MPC Southern Stocker cars

Those are perfect for the theme...would love to see these as street cars!

47 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

We'd be glad to have you. Welcome aboard...I will have the official build thread up soon, announcing all the rules, list of competitors etc, etc...

Well, if you're ready to start listing competitors, please include me as well.  My project is so Cannonball Stealthy, I can't tell you about it!  [National Security, you know!]

? . . . ? . . . ?

On 12/4/2020 at 6:23 PM, disconovaman said:

It kinda looked like this one...

1981-buick-regalorigownergarage-find67k-mistored-since-2006origpaint-1.jpeg

I just have to think that if you blew by a cop at 180, in a pink Mary Kay car, you might be easy to spot when he radios ahead. Just saying...

But I love the idea! 

Edited by Sam I Am

4 minutes ago, Sam I Am said:

I just have to think that if you blew by a cop at 180, in a pink Mary Kay car, you might be easy to spot when he radios ahead. Just saying...

Cop #1 " Be advised.....a Pink Mary Kay car just blew by me at 180"

Cop #2 " ahhh......really.......that's the story you want to go with?"

7 minutes ago, Jhedir6 said:

Cop #1 " Be advised.....a Pink Mary Kay car just blew by me at 180"

Cop #2 " ahhh......really.......that's the story you want to go with?"

As a pink Mary Kay car blows by cop #2.

Sounds exactly like a Cannonball plot line. ?

Jamie Blake:
That's a good-looking piece! and cunningly disguised so it won't look like a racing car, you know. The cops would never give that a second glance!

Jill Rivers:
220 miles an hour and they aren't gonna get a second glance!

"They'd never expect the Mary Kay V6 Buick to run 180...So you're just gonna have to prove it to em"...

"And you better have something under the hood that can catch it" ???  Definitely sounds like an instant classic Cannonball Run movie plot...