Model Cars Magazine Forum

1941 Plymouth

ModelcarJR

Building this 41 Plymouth and I had all kind of problems with the hood and didn't get the paint on right until the third painting. I decided to paint this one black since there is nothing else remarkable about this kit so I thought I would concentrate on the paint. I don't paint many black because it is so hard to get a good finish but I think this is my best one in the last 30 years. Thanks for looking! ?

Trouble with the hood on the second painting:

enhance

enhance

enhance

Paint and foil are done. The chrome trim down the side is a real challenge. you have to cut a thin strip and try to get in on evenly because cutting any foil on this body is tough. It seems that cutting only leads to nicks or uneven chrome trim. So I tried to cut one side and lay it down using the one strip so that I didn't have to cut much. The hood doesn't fit well at all and I don't know how it could be corrected. But at this point its pretty much done. The rest of the build will be unremarkable and should go together quick. Thanks for looking! ?

enhance

enhance

enhance

On 12/4/2020 at 7:43 PM, Modlbldr said:

These seem to be less than remarkable cars...

It turned out better than I expected but nothing over the top.

Well it IS a Plymouth, not a Lamborghini!

But that's why I personally like odd ball cars like this. Different from the common Camaro and 57 Chevy. 

I hope I didn't offend anyone. What I meant was that these were never popular as a custom build starting point. Which I find it a shame because they really don't look bad at all. The reason I built this one as I did was to show how they could be a good starting point for a nice looking custom. I have plans to build another in the future as an even more custom subject. 

I think that a turn off with kit for most model builders is the way the entire front grill surround is a separate piece requiring quite a bit of fiddling to get to fit right. 

I included another pic of my build to show, what I feel, is a car with clean lines.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.

Later-

IMG_20200605_102649162_HDR.jpg

I think the chrome foil really wakes up the appearance of an other wise ho hum looking car. Had a music teacher in grade school who drove the ugliest dark green '48 coupe you ever saw. Like anything, if it's built cleanly and well detailed it will improve it's appearance no mater what it is.  

Thanks, Patric, Tom, and David! I appreciate your comments! I hope I didn't offend anyone either but when I said that the rest of the build would be unremarkable, it was just a PC way of saying this is not a very good kit. I know the old saw that its and old tool that has been run many times, etc.  But I doubt this tool was any good in the beginning. For example, the interior bucket four circle pins marks in the floor and two in the rear seat. These are thick and would take awhile to sand out. I don't have a circular sanding tool as they are too easy to lose control of. I use an oscillating sander and that would also take a while to sand out. The best way would be to remove the door panels to get to them. And then there are the door panels. Door handles, window cranks and arm rests are almost nonexistent. I could spend some money and time by adding aftermarket handles, cranks and arm rests but for me its not worth it. Similarly, the engines are both nondescript six cylinder and eight cylinder that are not worth detailing. The chassis has other issues but I got it to sit on all fours and I just have to watch that it doesn't roll off the table with the metal axles. I didn't think of it before now but maybe the 48 Ford interior, frame and engine would work. 

enhance

There are a number of kits that are great reproductions of older cars, the Revell, 50 oldsmobile, 53 Hudson (I think its 53) and my favorite of all time is the 41 Willys. Although it can only be built one way its a great kit from top to bottom. I frenched the headlights, recessed the taillights, shaved the door handles, added plug wires, and put a nice paint job on it took 1st place in street rod. Here are a few pics of it. 

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

But here are a fwe pics of the building subject now that its on wheels. My method was to complete all these assembly steps as quick as possible once the body was painted and foiled in order to avoid disappointment as much as possible.  I only added tires from an old issue of the Revell 48 Ford. 

enhance

enhance

enhance

You know your build is looking very good despite the many short comings of the original castings. I have to agree with you on the other kits you mentioned. I have also enjoyed each of them a few times over and they are good examples of what can be done. Still making an otherwise poor basic kit look good speaks of a builders abilities . 

Thanks, All for your comments! 

Its done! You may see some handi-tak sticking out form under the hood. its the only way to secure the hood from sliding off everytime I move it. I guess I could glue it on because there is nothing to see in the engine compartment. I didn't add a front license plate so that I didn't spoil the look of the front end. No antenna as they usually get knocked off. The body looks great and I really like some of these old cars.  Just disappointed with the other aspects of the kit. Thanks for looking! ?

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance