Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm not a fan but........

Ok so this thread is a little different than the usual thread. The challenge here is not to find a vehicle in your usual style that you find cool, but to find one in a style you dont like/not a fan off but the example you show is one you do like. Maybe its got some details you find cool, maybe its just the engine looks nice. You dont have to like the entire vehicle, just have something about it that makes you think thats not actually that bad. I'll start with my own type of vehicle I'm not into which is modern supercars but I do like the new lamborghini sian roadster has something that makes me kinda like it, but i'm not sure what

Untitled.jpg.f1edcb7e8732b4ac9c2ed7b5ad130c35.jpg

Ok folks, now its your turn to find one vehcle in a style you dont generally like that you do like. Please no criticism of people choices or styles, this thread is about finding something you like. Lets end the year on a postive note and keep it fun. Who knows, it may open your eyes to things that could be used on other styles or inspire a build idea in someone else

I think I'm picking up what you're putting down.

Myself, I have never been a big fan of Japanese cars, or Asian imports in general. I mean, they make some nice stuff, but nothing that I've ever gotten excited about or given any thought whatsoever about putting in my garage.

One exception.

I would do many illegal and immoral things to find a clean and unmolested 2nd Gen RX7.

I love how they look, I fit, and they drive great. Very 80s, and not a thing wrong with the car at all. I'd leave it bone stock and would enjoy the f out of it.

1987_mazda_rx-7_15706702079ed5cb1de8eb1DSC02478.jpg.17a4fa89d319770a3248cdca4b4ac32d.jpg

rx7_007.jpg.6a8e6e72b753df11261baf696a671025.jpg

Interesting how the first 3 are all Japanese cars.  I've always had an attraction to the Japanese sports cars.  The first car I ever bought was a 72 240Z but I have also found the Toyota Supra, Mazda Miata, and the RX-7 fascinating not to mention the Toyota GT2000 and MR2. My car for the last 18 years was a 92 MR2 Turbo.   My preference in autos has always run to sports cars.  By that I mean small light weight cars that went around corners really well.

That is why my choice for the category has to be the best handling muscle car.  Not that any of them do corners in factory stock trim.

So my choice is the AAR 'cuda.  I like the idea of a smaller engine with better handling.  No it was not a great track car without a ton of modification to the suspension, but it was the best of the breed. 1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda [1200 × 801] - The best designs and art from the  internet

Edited by Pete J.

Well, I've got a couple. The first are a couple cars I really like from a manufacturer I really don't- General Motors. 

First off, the '67 full size Chevrolets. 

Used-1967-Chevrolet-Impala.jpg.9fbeff641d6534ae9cce601c76af1a24.jpg

I don't care about trim level or body style... Chevrolet's design team got everything right on this design. I'm a Ford guy and even I had one for about a year. Kinda wish I'd kept it as being a four door hardtop I might have been able to sell it for a bit more today by charging the Supernatural Tax. I mean yes, the car itself is hot garbage but... just look at one sometime. 

And of course there's a car that I remember being everywhere from my childhood...

CC-13-064-800.jpg.8fec49f9f18fb4f80beb76231b6dc794.jpg

My rule of thumb has always been that the Oldsmobile version of any given GM platform is the best one, though some of the '60s and '70s Oldsmobiles were visually horrific they always had good engines and nice, plush interiors. The G-body Cutlass Supreme is one of my all time favorite GM designs, though I do have to say the facelifted GM10 version is another good one, and before you say "duuurrrrr... wrong wheel drive", wake up and realize we aren't living in the 30's anymore...

1200px-Oldsmobile-Cutlass-Supreme-Coupe.jpg.99d554e00be4b8c0c882785abb33c90c.jpg

On the other end of the spectrum, how about a car you love but don't want in your driveway? For me, that's gotta be the FD RX7. It's gorgeous, it's a blast to drive, and that rotary engine makes an oddly enticing sound. But I'd never, ever, ever, ever... ever, ever EVER own one, for a variety of reasons. 

FD_09.jpg.6be5f97d52d3999bfd1fd2b571749938.jpg

Edited by Chuck Most

On 12/23/2020 at 9:15 PM, stinkybritches said:

Much like Dan, I've never been a fan of Japanese cars. But the Mitsubishi Starion has always grabbed my attention. 

Mine too:

my88starion.thumb.jpg.552451495dc9af6210fdee35dd91d5de.jpg

my88starion2.thumb.jpg.6585eaf9bf42788f3d082585e59ca903.jpg

Bought this '88 Starion turbo from an estate auction in 1999 to flip, but in the few months I had it I really enjoyed it. Solid 44k-mile rice rocket that even passed smog on the first try. Sold it to a kid from Long Beach and made a little over $300 on the deal; kinda hated to see it go even though I've never been into Japanese sports cars. (ETA: Just ran the plate through the CA DMV site; after I sold it, nobody tried to smog it again until 2006 - when it failed; no record after that. Hope he had fun with it...)

Edited by ChrisBcritter

This is an extreme example. But, it was the car that made me look past what I didn’t like and appreciate what I did. Love it or hate it, one has to appreciate what it took to weld all those different panels together. I also appreciate how the builder did it his way with no regard to how it would be accepted or hated.

c3888b29e8e45ee0605afecb5c213720.jpg.77cf1979c393c44b35cd90327c2d0564.jpg

It was the loose inspiration for this build where every modification or accessory was something I didn't like. It's still one of my favorite models.

20190810_190054-1.jpg.36e8385ada613ddb5ef0a82a7a8d0a1f.jpg

I've gotten very tired of pro street, mainly because it seems a lot of folks know nothing about stance these days, something that the early cars paid serious attention to. Rod Saboury and Rick Dobbertin were masters in their day. Here's the Saboury T-Bird and what I think was Dobbertin's first pro street, the Innovation Nova. 

390fb96d73b6602a961a7ebbaaff6ec6.jpg

aebca1a23ca0c752209dbca50cd94a29.jpg

I’ve always been a one manufacturer kinda guy. Australia’s Holden. Paid no interest in anything else until recently.  

Then I discover Japanese car culture and the VIP guys. 100% appreciate and respect the enormous amount a body work that goes into these cars and the fact that their suspensions are completely re-engineered and functioning. 

image.jpeg.c77dee8ba79d06873315a3d2c06e68c8.jpeg

Like several people here. Japanese cars really have not turned me on overall. They build good cars. But, the cars in general have no souls. The Datsun roadsters of the 60's, and they're good old 240Z being two exceptions. And I've always kind of liked the first generation Celica too. But, there is Japanese one car I love, and have always lusted over. The Toyota 2000GT. 

IMG_2363.JPG

IMG_2364.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

I've always been a fan of American Cars with me leaning to the muscle cars including some they sold in other country's and not in the states. I am not a fan of Ferrari's or BMW's although I have always had a fondness for the original VW Beetle and have owned a few in my time. I think the one car I've always liked and is really not in my usual taste range is The Subaru WRX, I don't think I have seen one I didn't like or would gladly park in my driveway

04-05_Subaru_WRX_STi_2.jpg