Model Cars Magazine Forum

DeAgostini 1/8 scale 1967 Shelby GT 500 FINALLY done!

MrObsessive

I actually finished this over the Christmas week while I was off, so this in effect is the only build I've gotten done for 2020. I had the parts for everything during the middle of '19, but with moving to a new house and finally getting motivated to start building again after being here for six months, I figure it was time to finally keep going on this and get it done.

If I have to rate this kit as far as difficulty, I can only say this is NOT for beginners. I have to add that you will need more than the little screwdriver they give you to get this together and there are times you'll need epoxy/superglue as the screw/snap together assembly IMO is not permanent enough.

One area that needs attention is how the doors fit. While the assembly is pretty straight forward, one problem I see is how the doors at the leading edge stick out just a wee bit too much for me. One needs to thin out the inner door panels a bit at the A pillars as I believe the dash is a bit too wide and it's butting against the doors making them not quite flush.

All in all, a very nice kit for those of you that want to spend the money, and PLEASE make sure you have space to display it as it IS HUGE.

My lighting is not the best due to the type of lights I have in the house so I had to use the flash on the camera. I'd like to take outside pics, but due to the sheer size and WEIGHT of this thing, I'm not crazy about carrying it down a flight of stairs and heaven forbid it falls. If I do take this to a show, it'll literally be a one time deal as carrying this around is seriously no joke.

P1016831.jpg.83ac31020fbc46a6e63828b3d04a49c7.jpg
P1016832.jpg.a9f9863f7f7480ddaf2ab6023a850411.jpg
P1016833.jpg.594a3de6ab13669c1f864d686d2822c9.jpg
P1016834.JPG.07b3ecd3cfc082f4a773a825244ccf11.JPG
P1016835.JPG.0d7e40b7e6cf9b3a9f97cf72a568ca4b.JPG
P1016836.jpg.ec7c2fa9fea533138f7f105c46512496.jpg
P1016837.jpg.22f235c4ad037bfe1cb1c9d218dde9b8.jpg
P1016838.JPG.5a66fa5ae93beaa5b71ff6e78bf3d365.JPG

As you can see, I didn't go super crazy with details. Originally, I was going to add fuel/brake lines, but my better sense told me to leave that alone as I really don't want to have to turn this over to take pics. I could get a mirror to display the underside, but building this was more an effort to get back into building and to blow off the cobwebs of not being much into building for the better part of a year.

I will say there's more detail that DeAgostini could have added for the money, but in their defense I do believe that this is one of their early efforts and later kits I've seen do have more detail. If this is a must have kit for you, I say take the plunge and get one as some of their other kits have sold out already and there's no guarantee they'll make 'em again. The Jaguar E-Type comes to mind as that was one I wanted, but I waited too long and now it's discontinued. BTW, for those of you that missed the thread of the build-up......it is here.

Thanks for looking!

I gotta chuckle at this...........the lights and all do work as well as the horn blows when you press down on the steering wheel. The horn sound is HILARIOUS! When it sounds, it's sounds more like a 1967 VW than a '67 Mustang Shelby!

Whoever created that sound card obviously is NOT familiar with the horn sounds of 1960's American cars. :D

7 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I gotta chuckle at this...........the lights and all do work as well as the horn blows when you press down on the steering wheel. The horn sound is HILARIOUS! When it sounds, it's sounds more like a 1967 VW than a '67 Mustang Shelby!

Whoever created that sound card obviously is NOT familiar with the horn sounds of 1960's American cars. :D

Looks great and agree this “kit” is not for the average builder.  Do you have an estimate of total hours you spent and how many if you did not do any modifications?  Also curious about the steering wheel - does it turn the wheels?  I have not see one in person and I can understand the concern about taking it anywhere due to the size and weight.

Rex, the steering wheel was supposed to turn the wheels, but the gearing was quite ill fitting as the gears didn't mesh as tightly as they should. Instead of fussing with it, I left it alone. I'm not so sure with the sheer weight of this thing that it should be turned at all.

On that note, one thing I learned is to NOT turn the model on its rear wheels on its axis. I did this trying to spin the model around on the table and actually snapped one of the wheels clean off the axle. It is THAT heavy. For whatever reason, DeAgostini made the rear axle out of plastic (two halves) instead of solid metal like the rest of the chassis. I was able to get it back together with no issue, but that's another one of those things I'm certain a novice builder couldn't deal with.

Hours? I really didn't keep track. There were days I'd work on it, then there'd be a whole week go by when I didn't touch it.

One other tip I recommend in regards to the doors.....If I were building this again, I'd shim up the hinges just a bit. When the doors are open, they're a bit too "floppy" for my tastes as the hinge bolts directly to the door and then attached with screws to the inside of the body. The hinge point itself is sloppy, but with the doors being closed 99% percent of the time, it's no big deal.

Somewhere on my hard disc, I remember making a pros and cons list of this kit. I'll see if I can find it and post it here.

Looks very good. Great job! Just did my body and have to work on the doors. I see what you mean on the doors. I just hung my doors and they do need work. The Toyota 2000 GT was so much better. But I do remember I had to readjust them also. Great job and thank you for the build information. Here is a few pics of the super snake body so far.

BAB3F9A0-1FD7-4B60-9813-9E135C21044D.jpeg

2B6C6C4D-BDF9-4D71-A445-676AF8B3333E.jpeg

016C9CD3-041E-47CE-8836-09D36FBECA80.jpeg

Great job on this Bill.  I am just now finishing up my DeAg Jaguar and I agree with many of your comments.  Hopefully with some luck, and if I can get some decent pictures, I will post my Jag next month.  Again thanks for sharing this really nice build.

On 1/17/2021 at 5:00 PM, MrObsessive said:

Looks TERRIFIC Bruce! ??

Thank you sir! Your Shelby looks fantastic!!!!! Where can I get a set of 1/8 American torque thrusts and poly glass tires? I would like to switch them around with the thunderbolt tires. 

Bill thank you for all the information on your build. I did not realize but the supersnake is going to come with another set of tires . Look like the tires and wheels on your car. So after looking on how you did your wheels and tires, well I guess I’m in for a little work. But at least I now know how to attack it. Thank you 

Well done Bill, that looks fantastic, and I love the color!! Even if I had the time to put forth on such a project, I don't think I could drop that kind of coin on such an intricate and detailed kit at my current skill level, if ever, lol. Let alone having the space to display it, which is the main reason every time I think about wishing for re-releases of Monogram's 1/8 scale styrene kits, the thought leaves my mind as quickly as it entered it. With you mentioning it a few times, I have become very curious as to the finished weight of that beast, though.