Model Cars Magazine Forum

Show us your dog !

Nazz

Diesel at his 1st Barn Hunt, he really didn't like finding the rats in the bales of hay but he did enjoy running around, climbing on the hay bales and going through the tunnels. The rats are safe in PVC tubes and are used to dogs as they are domesticated and live with dogs and their people. The point of the game at the start is for the dog to find one rat (There is one rat tube, one tube with liter and one empty tube on course) and go through a tunnel and have all 4 feet on a bale at some point during the 2 min that they have to do all three things.  The faster you can do all three things the better, Diesel doesn't like to say here is the rat so this really isn't a game for him.  

Diesel1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, TonyK said:

Hate to hear such things. I don't know how you cope with such a thing. I'm afraid for myself when the time comes for my dogs. Thanks for sharing the photo.

It sucks. I had tried to ready myself for it. I knew it wasn't going to be good. But I still broke down like a baby when I heard it. At least he didn't suffer. 

He napped in my lap every day, slept beside me at night. It's the little things I miss, like seeing him laying in his bed, or hearing his nails on the floor.

I am so sorry to here about  your buckShot Kyle. It is indeed painful when it is time for them to go. I know only too well. I have found for me the memories help.  Our Kodi and Rocky have been gone for some time and there are times when a memory will just pop up from out of the blue. I can tell you loved BuckShot very much.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Jerry

On 8/18/2022 at 11:39 AM, ksnow said:

Had to say goodbye to BuckShot yesterday, blood cancer or some such big word I can't remember. First time in 18 years we haven't had a dog in the house. Sure is quiet.

BuckShot2.jpg

So sorry to hear of your beloved friends passing. They can leave a big hole in your heart for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been searching for an emotional support dog for quite sometime now. The breeds that were best for that are way beyond my reach. So I decided to start with what my budget could handle, sort through and research each breed that was in that price range,  and voila! Welcome the latest addition to the family. A four month old Goldendoodle.  Meet Cinder, she checked all the boxes....including my heart.  

20220827_103244.jpg

20220828_174612.jpg

20220828_192312.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd share a picture of my dog Marty that we had to put down today. He turned 15 last month but has been having a few health problems and decided to stop eating the last few days. Took him to the vet last week and blood tests confirmed some problems. They gave us some pills but won't work if he's not eating. My wife and I discussed the right thing to do and had an "at home" euthanasia performed. My churning guts have now turned to a hollow empty gut. Every step through the house brings a memory. We still have his sister Polly with us so I have to be strong for her.

I've read all your past experiences with this sort of thing and got teary eyed about it and now I'm there and it's the worst thing ever. I've lost my parents in the past but this feels worse than that. Sounds bad but it's how I'm feeling.

IMG_1649.JPG

Sadly I had to put my dog Ben down today. He developed an aggressive bone eating cancer. Happened so quickly. But at least we have the option of arranging to not let our pets suffer. Should be the same for humans. He was my best friend for the past 13 years. From the day I rescued him. We were always together.  He was my Snooki Face. I'd say that to him while I would cup my hands over both eyes and rub his face. When he wasn't feeling safe and secure. He would come to where ever I was so I could give him a Snooki face. I just loved him so.

310496132_1132369790710810_1024647431221151321_n.jpg

311968687_1286389155515116_2486110898355040898_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hey Tony, sorry to hear about Marty. I know how you feel. I felt the same way when our guys passed. It is surprising how much it hearts when they go, but as I discovered for me, the memories help after a time.

David, sorry to hear about Ben. Dogs do leave a big hole in our lives when they go. Ben looks like he was  quite a character!

My thoughts and prayers go out to you both.

Jerry

Edited by Nazz

Here's an interesting thing I've discovered. We are looking into getting another dog not as a replacement (as that could never happen) but hoping it will mostly be a companion to our remaining dog. She looks around wondering where her brother is. Sad to see this.

Anyway, how often do we see ads on tv, the radio, wherever about all the dogs that need homes. We've been on the Internet looking and signing up for adoption but it's a bit scarce. A couple of breeders we know won't have puppies for many months. Don't really want to go that route anyway. Where's all these dogs when you want one? I'm speaking locally.

We had our yearly exam today! Everything checked out good except Callie now has a heart murmur that wasn't there last year....... The vet said that comes with age, and it isn't anything to really be concerned about. She's about 11.5 or 12 years old now.....

SDC10323.JPG.444b1d64bb4bb7b8b969956b7dcd5fae.JPG

I've known of these dogs to live 15-16 years and be healthy. Hopefully Callie will make it for a while, yet!

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 8:10 AM, Slotto said:

20220921_171739.thumb.jpg.9f25659745a1d3b8a33ce9bec52fef2d.jpg

Here's Yogi our greyhound. He competed in 2 races. Came in 5th and 7th before they retired him. We rescued him in 2018. He is 4 years old with serious heart issues now.

My first dog as an adult was a Greyhound.....Winston was from a litter of three, all named for Popeye characters.  Winston (formerly Wimpy) was booted from the track as he wanted to play instead of racing.  His brother Bluto didn't care to race and their sister Olive Oyl was a beautiful blue Greyhound that ran the wrong direction.  His separation anxiety resulted in a roommate for him.

His final day, his arthritis had progressed that he could no longer get up or stand.  I called off work and laid behind him all day petting him and emptying the treat bag to him.  He was too proud he wouldn't pee on the area rug.  To TonyK's point, I was a flat out mess for three days.  I lost my mom unexpectedly to a stroke and my dad to Dementia, but having to put Winston down tore my heart out.

We got Vinny from a local shelter. Poor guy was caught as a stray in Texas and shipped up here and then landed in 3 foster homes. The last one was the best and she brought him to us a few days ago. A Terrier mix about 1 1/2 years old. He's pretty skittish about things but coming along better than we could hope for.

Never going to replace my recent loss but our remaining dog seems to like him and the process of training and providing a good home will keep us busy.

vinny1.jpg

32 minutes ago, TonyK said:

We got Vinny from a local shelter. Poor guy was caught as a stray in Texas and shipped up here and then landed in 3 foster homes. The last one was the best and she brought him to us a few days ago. A Terrier mix about 1 1/2 years old. He's pretty skittish about things but coming along better than we could hope for.

Never going to replace my recent loss but our remaining dog seems to like him and the process of training and providing a good home will keep us busy.

vinny1.jpg

Rescues are the bestest dogs ever!!!

Every single dog I've had, has been a rescue.

Happy to see this.

The two we have currently, the black one is Monkey and the faun one is Lilac.

Don't try telling either that they're not a big dog. Monkey will come over and stand on any dog's head she decides is misbehaving and Lilac hates being picked up, cuz you don't pick up a big dog.

Before...I've always been used to dogs at least 60 lbs or more.

20221021_201159.thumb.jpg.4636bff76798389b7163bec2e39a08fe.jpg20221021_225524.thumb.jpg.d8d55282df14c317383e6c293a3af2b9.jpg