Model Cars Magazine Forum

Subaru Impreza Cannonballer

89AKurt

Built for the The '21 Cannonball Ruse community build.   WIP:  Tamiya Subaru Impreza (not WRC but Cannonball Ruse) with Hobby Design engine

I always wanted to build this Tamiya Subaru Impreza as a private citizen road car, got the Hobby Design EJ20 engine kit a long time ago for this project.  The Tamiya kit is typical awesome.  The engine needed some modifications to fit.  The Thule cargo box is from the Fujimi set that also has the bicycle, it was shortened and turned around, and has one rally light and a lens scavenged from a real camera.  Interior has an Igloo cooler, a bunch of Monster drink cans, CB and scanner radio, camera screen, and sun visors.  Built in a month, 125 hours.  My intent was to not make a show car, but could be a cheap repaint of a retired rally car.

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

Edited by 89AKurt
format issues
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking Rally car. I like all the antennas and the roof rack. The road splash on the body is very realistic looking.   

Thanks!  Doing road grime is one of the easiest "weathering" techniques.

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Great to see these completed shots, I enjoyed seeing it come together. Lots of clever touches.

It's a far more thorough job than what I'm doing for the same build.....

Thanks for following along.  If you plan to tint your windows to hide the roll cage, don't do anything inside the back.

10 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

NICE! Really well thought out and executed; totally believable as a cross-country racer. Beautiful model.

Appreciate the comment!

Hi Kurt! Nice to see this under glass. Your description of the build undersold your work. I would encourage anyone that hasn’t seen the WIP thread on this to go have a look. This is one clever build, with lots of “little” details. Thanks for sharing Kurt! Very impressive build.

Cheers, Steve

17 hours ago, Steve H said:

Hi Kurt! Nice to see this under glass. Your description of the build undersold your work. I would encourage anyone that hasn’t seen the WIP thread on this to go have a look. This is one clever build, with lots of “little” details. Thanks for sharing Kurt! Very impressive build.

Cheers, Steve

You are too kind!  Thanks for looking and the nice comment.

17 hours ago, Pete75 said:

I'll say it again, the silver OZ wheels against black look badass! Not sure you crammed enough detail into the build though...😆

I'm happy with the silver, but still like the Lotus JPS look.  Yea, I should have put phones, maps, Powerbars in too.  🤪

On 2/7/2021 at 5:51 PM, disconovaman said:

She's ready for an Incognito trip across the country Kurt! It looks like you been doing some testing at the Salt flats! Lots of details and weathering make this an exceptional build, great execution!

Black Rock Desert, before the Burning Man people show up.  🤪  Appreciate the comment.

On 2/8/2021 at 2:55 AM, Mattilacken said:

Game pur great as said before! Was expecting this thread to pop up under glass in other racing so I didn’t finde it first! 
Nice pics of it!

Oh, perhaps it should have been, but it's not an official sanctioned by a legitimate organization event, because insurance would cost a fortune.  😉  I know in Europe, there is a Cannonball event, cars are decorated like crazy.  But since there are no numbers or sponsor logos, think I'm good here.  And thank you. 🙂

12 hours ago, slusher said:

Real nice model Kurt...

Thank you!

9 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Man, that's very impressive. Terrific work.

Dude, thanks for the comment!  😎

Just for the entertainment value, posting this video of a newer Subie.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...