Model Cars Magazine Forum

29 Ford Roadster - Dragster

Pulled the components and did a loose trial fit of the components - to evaluate what is remaining to do to finish.

I need to add details: 

engine:  water hoses, wiring, fuel pump, magneto/distributor, blower pulleys, drive shaft 

interior: seat belts, steering wheel and guages, roll bar, fire extinguisher,

frame: tie rods, radius rods front and back, drag link to steering arm, push bars

body: toneau cover and supports, grille art, 

Painting: There was some hanger rash on the frame (stupid me- I left some paint masking tape on the frame and it left an impression in the surface). 

Need some touch up on the salt flat moon discs as they have scratches, and some touch up in various places.

29 roadster 1.jpg

29 roadster 2.jpg

29 roadster 3.jpg

29 roadster flathead.jpg

Edited by SpeedShift
  • Like 5

On 3/6/2023 at 3:16 AM, Straightliner59 said:

This is a very cool project. I've always dug the car, and I really prefer to build "inspired-by" stuff, because then I can incorporate items that I think are cool, that fit the time period, but aren't proper for a replica. Nice work, Jim!

Thanks.

Truth is...I'm not skilled enough to do an exact replica. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely amazing project with Superb details and show winning craftsmanship. Everything is in correct proportion and well balanced. When finished it will be one that one could at for a long time and continue to see new things. Congrats!

Edited by misterNNL
Forgotten word

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting thing happened when I entered this roadster in a local show last weekend.

With four awards available (1st 2nd 3rd and OTB) and only five entries in the category (all Top Fuel rail jobs), I figured I might get some recognition.

Surprise...it got nothing.

The 1st place also got an OTB award.

I think I have more time and effort in just the scratch built supercharger, the scratch built interior,  or even front tubular shocks than the other entries.

While we all know judging can be and is usually subjective, I'm wondering if the trend is away from scratch building and detailing

(what with all the aftermarket parts out there) and going more to just a basic build.

Edited by SpeedShift

13 minutes ago, R. Thorne said:

You’re a winner in my book.  Don’t be disheartened, your attention to detail and accuracy is admirable, though some call that rivet counting.  Outstanding model and something to be proud of.

Thank you.

I got back into building model cars partly due to the nostalgic factor...there are some great resources now for builders that are interested in the "historic" aspect of the Hot Rod.

I find the modern street machine subject or corporation dragster not as challenging as the post WWII back yard hot rod or the sixties drag strip subject, or Muroc/El Mirage dry lakes era.

Requires a bit more effort to get a "period accurate" build.

But we all have our interests and it's all good.

18 hours ago, milo1303s said:

Great build love it !!

?

How old were the contenders at this show you went too ! lol

Contenders, in this category, ........they were late 30s to middle aged. The four other cars were decent builds, even if they were strictly kits,  or Out of The Box.

I was told one of the three judges, an older guy, dominated discussion and that could tend to sway results if the others stay quiet.

I filled out the list on the entry form as required so that the build effort as compared to an OTB would be known, but who knows if judges read everything,

particularly at the end of the day - which it was, - and there were a lot of models to judge in the tight timeline.

I built this 29-highboy roadster for me.....and I'm pleased with the result.

But I will be considering whether I want to drive all the way to a distant contest in the future based on my experience. 

Maybe I'm just not on the same page as most of the modelers of the current trend in scale auto modeling that are attending contests.

29 roadster list.jpg

Edited by SpeedShift