Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you screw-up today??

On 3/13/2021 at 3:12 PM, thomascoffey1959@gmail.com said:

I have a 1st aid kit, on the shelf right in front of me, as it's the most frequently used tools on my bench.   someone needs to invent a bandaid wrapper you can open with one hand.

Better yet...You need one of those heavy desktop tape dispensers with a roll of bandaids in it! 😜
Hey, maybe I should patent that idea?🤔

Edited by NOBLNG

2 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Better yet...You need one of those heavy desktop tape dispensers with a roll of bandaids in it! 😜
Hey, maybe I should patent that idea?🤔

I've seen sillier ideas get deals on Shark Tank. 

I have a couple of real good ones from a ways back, The best being the time I was finish sanding the primer on a custom body when it slipped out of my hands. My legs instinctively (modeler's reflex) snapped shut. Crunch!

More recently, I have been making a door latch. I got one side made and functioning. All I had to do was make a mirrored latch arm for the other side. Not matching the first sample is harder than I thought . One of the two roughs on the right is headed for the trash. Focus!

IMG_2802-vi.jpg

1 hour ago, Scott Colmer said:

I have a couple of real good ones from a ways back, The best being the time I was finish sanding the primer on a custom body when it slipped out of my hands. My legs instinctively (modeler's reflex) snapped shut. Crunch!

That's not a modeler's reflex, that a male reflex for some reason. Mark Twain even wrote a story in which this fact was the centerpiece. 

And it could have been worse. You wouldn't believe the number of times I've read a similar story on HyperScale involving not a model body but an Xacto knife:blink::blink::blink::angry:

5 hours ago, thomascoffey1959@gmail.com said:

My mishap for today was discovering the repaint on the repainted 58 chevy , still hasn't cured,,,,,, It's been 48 hrs, Same brand I prefer,,, if its not good to wet sand tomorrow ?   strip it 

I had to let them sit a week or two. What did you paint you model with?

Same problem, '40 Ford coupe.  Primed and then painted metallic gold base coat before the final metallic color.  I think I didn't let the primer cure.  I was able to scrape the paint and primer off of the body, could even gouge it off with my fingernails.  What are people using to strip?  I can't get a decent oven cleaner in my area (used to use Mr. Muscle and it worked great).  The Super Clean doesn't seem to touch paint or primer.  Brake fluid is really slow and marginal results, not to mention slimy and messy.  I'm testing a painted scrap piece in drain cleaner.  

Worst paint-drying problem I ever had was the old Pactra Odds N Ends enamel Hunter Green, thinned with naphtha and airbrushed. That stupid model was tacky for almost two years! (That paint dries fine thinned with lacquer thinner, but pretty pebbly/orange peeled. Testor enamels thinned with naphtha flow out to a nice shine, I've discovered.) 

It did eventually dry, and I was able to polish it out and finish the model (as a BOYD project) years later. 

18 hours ago, slusher said:

That’s an easy fix David, strip and retry...

Yes Mike. 3 ugh. They are soaking Carl but not much is letting loose. New purple pond also, 2 were fine until I clear coated. The Caddy. I think it might be lacquer paint. It’s weird. One was primed, painted. Looked fine. Sprayed the clear coat and it crinkled right up. But only in certain areas. Live a learn. 

None today for me....unless you count my Proton 275 airbrush needle stuck from evidently not cleaning it good enough last time I used it. But then again I guess you can also count me knocking the open bottle of Stylenez primer over. Luckily bottle is only about a third full, probably lost enough to prime a whole body tho🙄

On 3/15/2021 at 6:57 PM, Snake45 said:

That's not a modeler's reflex, that a male reflex for some reason. Mark Twain even wrote a story in which this fact was the centerpiece. 

And it could have been worse. You wouldn't believe the number of times I've read a similar story on HyperScale involving not a model body but an Xacto knife:blink::blink::blink::angry:

DOH!  OK, that made me pucker!

While I screwed up the Impala paint job and  wet sand,  I had been distracting myself with a scrap parts build of an early jalopy, there is no plan, it'll go where it will, so I CAN'T screw THAT up. The last monstrosity created this way is a hot rod fiat topalino(?) with vw fenders,34 ford flat head, and mg wheels n tires. Truly an ugly little troll. pics coming soon ?

0302211139b.jpg