Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you screw-up today??

Due to my resent mess-ups I'm thinking we need a "what did you screw up today" thread😁.   And here's mine for yesterdays. Sprayed craft acrylic on (un-named model for now), and did a beautiful almost flawless job only to totally blow the clear coat. I used the Rustoleum Crystal Clear Laquer that I have had great success with. And ya might know, sprayed it too heavy and got sags on one side and what is probably crazing on the other. Then later in the day, glueing grill in car that I had to repaint (another mess up of course). The grill fit fine before I did the repaint, and ya might know, it was a tight fit and in the process of fighting with it, I got a glue smear on the top of one fender. I guess something to be said about test fitting here. Oh well. Not the first mess-up's and sure won't be the last.

Thanks for "listening" to my rant for the day.

Edited by TransAmMike

A "What Did You Screw Up Today?" thread might be a good idea. You can go back and change the title of this thread and we can start it here, if you don't wait too long. 

Sorry to hear of your bad luck with Rustoleum clear lacquer. I've recently had two successes with it but in both cases I started with two light, "mist" coats to seal the underlying mystery paint before laying it on wet. You might be able to easily strip the lacquer off--and the underlying craft paint--with 92% rubbing alcohol. Give it a try, and good luck with your fix. 

I haven't screwed anything up today, probably because I haven't done any modeling yet. ^_^:lol:

Oh I am sure this will be an interesting thread.

#1 Revell/Monogram 69 GTO.... I lost track of how many purple baths this car had.

#2  I lost track of how many bodies I have painted and painted the hood later for it not to match although I used the same paint.

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

A "What Did You Screw Up Today?" thread might be a good idea. You can go back and change the title of this thread and we can start it here, if you don't wait too long. 

Sorry to hear of your bad luck with Rustoleum clear lacquer. I've recently had two successes with it but in both cases I started with two light, "mist" coats to seal the underlying mystery paint before laying it on wet. You might be able to easily strip the lacquer off--and the underlying craft paint--with 92% rubbing alcohol. Give it a try, and good luck with your fix. 

I haven't screwed anything up today, probably because I haven't done any modeling yet. ^_^:lol:

Yeah Snake, I tend to get heavy handed when spraying rattle can stuff. I really like the shine on the Rusto Clear but it's so darn thin.  The last 2 times I sprayed it the temp in my garage was around 65 degrees. Yesterday it was almost 75 so I guess the paint was thinner. Maybe need to refrigerate it LOL!!

Lordy, this is going to be the longest thread on this forum! 🤣 I recently got the bugeye replica of my old race car that I'm  building about 95% done and had to throw it into the alcohol pond due to a stupid mistake. Haven't finished anything in almost 2 years due to back issues but I'm back now trying to get something done.

49 minutes ago, Miatatom said:

Lordy, this is going to be the longest thread on this forum! 🤣 I recently got the bugeye replica of my old race car that I'm  building about 95% done and had to throw it into the alcohol pond due to a stupid mistake. Haven't finished anything in almost 2 years due to back issues but I'm back now trying to get something done.

Hey Tennessee neighbor!!   I think it will be pretty interesting and informative.  Heck, maybe we can learn by other mistakes here.

Well I did mostly fix the glue smear I mentioned earlier by light sanding, compounding and polishing. Not perfect but not too very noticable. Robbed parts off another similar kit I had for the lost one parts, but of course when I build that one I'll be missing parts. Oh well. As for the clear "screw-up", haven't tried to correct yet. It just makes me so freakin mad since the base coat came out so good🤪

I can't believe this topic thread hasn't been done before!  Not really a good idea to give any focus to **** ups, but it's one way to learn.  I'll start off by cheating, did this awhile ago.  Not only did I screw up the header, but soon as that was fixed, broke the windshield.  Think a sheet of plastic will work......

IMG_1184.jpg

42 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

I can't believe this topic thread hasn't been done before!  Not really a good idea to give any focus to **** ups, but it's one way to learn.  I'll start off by cheating, did this awhile ago.  Not only did I screw up the header, but soon as that was fixed, broke the windshield.  Think a sheet of plastic will work......

IMG_1184.jpg

OHG Kurt,  probably not tooooo bad, how the heck did that happen?  As they sometimes say,  s***t happens🤪

Building a replica of my wife's first car, '72 Mustang notchback in light metallic green.  First I had spattering from my Goodwill bargain Paasche airbrush.  Got that sorted, but using some old Testors Model Master paint because I packed all of my stuff away 25 years ago and won't throw it away, now I have a bunch of specs of debris in the finish, probably dry solids.  I tried straining the paint with a coffee filter but it doesn't flow through .  I tried an automotive paint filter but it's too coarse.  Wet sanded and shot again, better, but a drop of water came out of nowhere (lie) and now I have a couple of bubbles.  Good grief.

4 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

OHG Kurt,  probably not tooooo bad, how the heck did that happen?  As they sometimes say,  s***t happens🤪

Had BMF on the windshield to keep glue off, left adhesive when removed, was wiping off and my thumb pressure was enough to crack.  It had also been cut away from the rest of the window part, may have been a nick along the cut to start the crack.  I've done stained glass, know how to cut glass, so I should have known better.

8 hours ago, cobraman said:

Perfect timing.  Just today I was painting the AMT 1/16 scale T-bird and it fell off the paint stand. Gotta try and fix that.

Did you say a cuss word? I sure would’ve...maybe three or four.

2 hours ago, Kromolly said:

Building a replica of my wife's first car, '72 Mustang notchback in light metallic green.  First I had spattering from my Goodwill bargain Paasche airbrush.  Got that sorted, but using some old Testors Model Master paint because I packed all of my stuff away 25 years ago and won't throw it away, now I have a bunch of specs of debris in the finish, probably dry solids.  I tried straining the paint with a coffee filter but it doesn't flow through .  I tried an automotive paint filter but it's too coarse.  Wet sanded and shot again, better, but a drop of water came out of nowhere (lie) and now I have a couple of bubbles.  Good grief.

This might also end up being one of the funniest threads on the board ... you know, the evil kind of laughing about other people’s miserable experiences type of funny. I’m sorry.

Tried doing the raised white lettering on some Goodyears for the 70 GSX I am building. I turned the first one into a solid white letter tire. Wipe it off and try again tonight. This is round 3 of trying to get those letters good.

5 hours ago, Venom said:

This might also end up being one of the funniest threads on the board ... you know, the evil kind of laughing about other people’s miserable experiences type of funny. I’m sorry.

Some of us might find this thread educational. If you're paying attention, you might learn how to avoid some kinds of problems, and/or how to fix them. Valuable advice might be offered by members here for fixes for various screw-ups.

Someone once told me, "A wise man learns from his mistakes. A really wise man learns from other people's mistakes." B)