Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you screw-up today??

5 hours ago, Venom said:

Congrats Roy! ... It’s a good feeling to see satisfying results after being disappointed and refusing to give up. Even when no one else knows what it took. Here’s to a feather in your hat and another experience wiser ... well hopefully, right?👍

Thanks Josh!  Yes, always an opportunity to learn... more often than not the take-away is to slow down and don't push it.

I once tipped over my original (circa 1970) bottle of Solvaset, which I thought would last me the rest of my life. When I got a new bottle, I found out the formula had been changed and the new stuff wasn't nearly as strong/effective as it originally was. DOH! :angry:

I THINK Solvaset is based on common rubbing alcohol diluted, but I've never been able to find the formulas for either the old or new stuff, or what else might be in it. :unsure:

8 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Put Mr eXacto into my thumb. First Aid provided by Bob Smith Industries. 

We have the same first aid kit 😬, although I don’t know how this happened. We were out shopping for a new recliner for the wife and on the way home I noticed I was bleeding. 🤨

561E27ED-BBEC-44CF-8E9A-3D40E34EF4D6.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

11 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

Been there, done that. Too many times to count.

Have you ever dropped the knife and had it skewer your foot?  😁

Nope, but I have had my little spring loaded drill hop off the part and drill into my finger a few times!🤬

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2021 at 1:00 PM, thomascoffey1959@gmail.com said:

I was building another display case from particle board shelving,  drill slipd   and I put a 3/4 drywall screw through my  thumb . DOH !

Particle board. Worst stuff ever. Real wood for me, plus it's a hella lot lighter to move around.

Sometimes the easiest things... it’s like a comedy routine.

In finishing the Valiant Speedster I decided a nice thin red stripe would be nice right below the lower body line. I had one on my 1:1 silver Valiant back in the day.  So I found a nice set of decals and set them aside on the bench.. now gone! I searched for too long, then went for alternative stripes.

I found a pair I needed to cut free from a larger decal. I have gone through SIX of these so far. They kept tearing.. moving and coming off!

I finally got a pair on and left to let them dry. Went back a few hours later and one was crooked! So I pulled it off and got another fresh decal.. as I was applying this one, the decal on the other side came off!   At this point they are drying again.. and if there’s any issues they are coming off for good!

• 2 weeks later...

Working on finishing up the base coat painting on the '55 Chevy. Gonna be red and black two-tone.  The red has been painted for several days so today was black day. Got it masked off and sprayed the black, but, my old fart brain told me to paint the red hood black also.  Oh well, now will have to re-paint the hood red. Got to mix up and paint the red anyway since there is some black overspray on the red anyway.    Ahhh, it's all in a days work huh?

Yesterday:

Oh yea! I’m working on a small part.. a coil, holding it in tweezers.. zing! Off into the stratosphere!  So I decide to go hunting for it..  my model room has a hardwood floor so I scrape across with a business card.. I find plastic shrapnel i whittled off parts, dust, and a lot of hair which is odd since I don’t have a lot of hair anymore.

I find parts I was missing from already finished models.. a Jeep tail light ring. A photo etch seat belt buckle and a few parts I didn’t even know I was missing.

I give up on the coil and grab another one from my parts hoard. I finish my model. 

Today: 

I walk into the model room and turn on the lights. I see sometimes small and black right in the middle of the floor... remember the area I hand searched with a business card? Yup, the missing coil. I put it in the parts bin.

You only find things once you aren’t looking for them and once you no longer need them!

Edited by Tom Geiger

14 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Yesterday:

Oh yea! I’m working on a small part.. a coil, holding it in tweezers.. zing! Off into the stratosphere!  So I decide to go hunting for it..  my model room has a hardwood floor so I scrape across with a business card.. I find plastic shrapnel i whittled off parts, dust, and a lot of hair which is odd since I don’t have a lot of hair anymore.

I find parts I was missing from already finished models.. a Jeep tail light ring. A photo etch seat belt buckle and a few parts I didn’t even know I was missing.

I give up on the coil and grab another one from my parts hoard. I finish my model. 

Today: 

I walk into the model room and turn on the lights. I see sometimes small and black right in the middle of the floor... remember the area I hand searched with a business card? Yup, the missing coil. I put it in the parts bin.

You only find things once you aren’t looking for them and once you no longer need them!

Had a similar thing yesterday.  Did my first Detail Master photoetch shifter. Was attempting to glue the tiny ball on the end while holding the shifter with a tweezers and like you said "zing"  off it flew.  I'm thinking I'm never gonna find this thing and cleared off the bench and started looking for it and don't ya know, as I kinda gave up, I look down and it's right in front of me. Go figure!!