Model Cars Magazine Forum

7% of Americans actually think chocolate milk comes from brown cows...

The 'Smart' phone has made many under the age of 35 dumb as a box of hair. A instant encyclopedia in your pocket means you can survive in this world and know nothing in your brain. I watch, with some fear, the TV shows where they ask when was WWII or something along those lines and people are so far off........ 

honestly, i cant believe this is true. 

although, i did have a conversation between my wife that insists brown eggs taste different from white eggs. i kept telling her they are the same except comes from a brown chicken. 

19 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

The 'Smart' phone has made many under the age of 35 dumb as a box of hair.

And.... Dumber than a bag of hammers.

Actually, for me it’s just as troubling to hear that 48% don’t even know how it’s made! The ingredients are in the name... CHOCOLATE & MILK!

A relative of mine used to swear up and down that the packaged chocolate milk was re-pasteurized from regular milk that had reached expiration and couldn't be sold.  One of his in-laws did work at a dairy long ago, I'm not sure if he got the info from the in-law or not.  I don't buy the stuff, but I can't remember ever hearing about health concerns with spoiled chocolate milk...

2 minutes ago, Venom said:

Freeze a big blob of water in a bag and saw it into squares?

I do recall reading and hearing stories about people in generations past who were not aware that water froze.  When they did put two and two together, it was because the straight water in their car's cooling system froze...

10 minutes ago, Mark said:

A relative of mine used to swear up and down that the packaged chocolate milk was re-pasteurized from regular milk that had reached expiration and couldn't be sold.  One of his in-laws did work at a dairy long ago, I'm not sure if he got the info from the in-law or not.  I don't buy the stuff, but I can't remember ever hearing about health concerns with spoiled chocolate milk...

That reminds me of how many people say that hotdogs are made from lips and ... well, we’ll just say sphincters.... Now c’mon! Who would believe that? The stupidity!

edit: Yep, I know.

Edited by Venom

11 minutes ago, Venom said:

That reminds me of how many people say that hotdogs are made from lips and ... well, we’ll just say sphincters.... Now c’mon! Who would believe that? The stupidity!

I'd definitely say the "meat" being used is the lesser quality stuff.  Some of the commercials go overboard: "we only use the choicest cuts of meat!"  I can picture a chef walking into a butcher shop saying "I would like to see your finest filet mignon", and the butcher saying "oh no, we're saving that for the hot dogs!".  If they can get away with a few hooves or snouts in there, they'll try it, especially if nobody is looking...

15 minutes ago, Khils said:

How about ....only 16% of today's college students can actually write cursive.  

Totally believe it. I'd also believe that 16% of today's college graduates are functionally illiterate, if you told me that--and then I might wonder if that number were low. :unsure:

36 minutes ago, Venom said:

I was watching a documentary on the Vancouver serial killer who would lure prostitutes to his pig farm to torture and kill them.  They never did find any bodies..  he’d mix it in with the hog remains from butchering pigs and drop it in the big bin down the pig rendering plant.. you know my first thought!

The show didn’t touch upon it at all!   

Edited by Tom Geiger

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

I watch, with some fear, the TV shows where they ask when was WWII

That could be a tricky Question as to when did WWII start. Answer's could very from 1936 1940 to 1941. This depends On the invasion of Poland, and African countries, to France and England, and of course the United states. On the asian front Japan entering China ect.

23 minutes ago, ranma said:

That could be a tricky Question as to when did WWII start. Answer's could very from 1936 1940 to 1941. This depends On the invasion of Poland, and African countries, to France and England, and of course the United states. On the asian front Japan entering China ect.

Ummm...1939.

2 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Ummm...1939.

'36 for the Spanish Civil War, the "opening act." '37 for Japan in China. And when did Italy try invade Ethiopia, '35? 

But I can see the logic of tying it to 1 Sep '39, the invasion of Poland, which resulted in most of Europe being drawn in on one side or the other. 

Fun WWII fact: At the beginning of the war, most combatants still had fabric-covered biplanes in active operational service. Just six years later, two combatants had operational jets, with a third on verge of having them operational. That is a quantum leap of technology in that amount of time. :blink:

53 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

'36 for the Spanish Civil War, the "opening act." '37 for Japan in China. And when did Italy try invade Ethiopia, '35? 

Of course...but you could also logically argue the groundwork was laid at the end of WW I, tying it to the terms of the Treaty of Versailles.

"I cannot imagine any greater cause for future war than that the German people…should be surrounded by a number of small states… each containing large masses of Germans clamouring for reunion."

David Lloyd George, March 1919

“This is not a peace. It is an armistice for twenty years”.         Ferdinand Foch

Still, the beginning of WW II is pretty much universally accepted to be Sept. 1939, with Germany's invasion of Poland, and England and France declaring war against the Germans 2 days later.

I don't think there's much of a "trick" question there.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

1 hour ago, Venom said:

I have seen large tubs of hot dog “meat” being pumped through hoses to be put in the casings. It was almost totally white in color before the liquid smoke flavouring was added. 😳 I will eat a hot dog if it is the only thing available, but I won’t buy them. Not big on smokies either...I prefer farmers sausage.