Model Cars Magazine Forum

*1932 Ford Sedan Delivery*

Zippi

I like the look! Maybe cut a little further out from your red lines on the chrome tie rod where it tapers. Then maybe retune the ride height by adjusting and adding some length to push the frame down towards the ground. That could keep a clean look upfront and drop it at the same time.

A suggestion on lowering the front end. I would remove some of the material from the frame at the mounting point for the leaf springs. The spring looks to fit into a slot in the cross member. You could remove half of the thickness of the mounting point and this would allow the front axle to sit higher on the cross member and the front ride height to be that much lower. This would also keep the leaf spring intact. 

• Like 1

Going through my stash this morning and came across these nice looking artillery wheels out of my 34 Ford pickup kit and the chrome spinners out of a 29 Ford Roadster kit.  Now I'm thinking keeping it as a Sedan and not a Delivery.  I really like this look over the supplied mag wheels.  Whatya think fella's??? 

20211003_090120.jpg

20211003_092836.jpg

20211003_091532.jpg

• Like 1

Wheel choices have so much to do with the overall look of any 1:1 car and the same with our models. Often you can use even the most basic wheel and with some color and or chrome treatment really make them stand out. Only my opinion, but the Military wheels detailed in a manor to show off any disc brakes behind them and a color and chrome treatment that looks right to you, Knockoffs, wait and see how they look both ways.  

An easy way to lower the front is to shave off a couple of leafs on the spring. Cut on each side of the mounting tab to retain it. Then just remove the remainder from the spring. You'll also need to cut the top of the mounting tab off once you get it lowered enough as it will stick up above the frame.

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

An easy way to lower the front is to shave off a couple of leafs on the spring. Cut on each side of the mounting tab to retain it. Then just remove the remainder from the spring. You'll also need to cut the top of the mounting tab off once you get it lowered enough as it will stick up above the frame.

Thanks for your input Roger I've made a mental note of that.  That should last a couple min ☺

I did manage to get some of the engine parts sanded and glued together.  The parts do not want to fit together very well.  It's almost like I'm fitting parts from another kit and trying to make them fit as they do not want to light up correctly.  I don't know if it is because it's an older kit or an MPC kit.  Maybe both.  This is the best I could get it put together.    

20211004_115110.jpg

I took the inner wheel hubs off that came with the kit and put the inner wheel half that goes with these wheels.  Makes it a little hard to install on the Sedan but looks better with all the spokes showing.

20211005_110130.jpg

Yep, definitely spinners.  The reason you might be experiencing problems with the fit on these kits is that they were originally part of the Switchers range and the parts were meant to be swapped back and forth between models - meaning the fit wasn't that great to start with.  Don't sweat it, your work so far looks great and you are seeing more faults than we are!

Cheers

Alan

1 hour ago, alan barton said:

Yep, definitely spinners.  The reason you might be experiencing problems with the fit on these kits is that they were originally part of the Switchers range and the parts were meant to be swapped back and forth between models - meaning the fit wasn't that great to start with.  Don't sweat it, your work so far looks great and you are seeing more faults than we are!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks for your comment Alan and for that bit of Info.

I got a little bit done on the engine this morning.  I thought I had lost the alternator.  It's so bad looking I just missed it on the tree.  Engine still needs some touch up and completed.  Got the distributor wires glued in.  Not sure how you fella's do your distributors but I use the supplied one and use a pin to get a starter hole and drill it out with a .069 bit.  Then I glue the 9 30 AWG wires in.  I've found that the Gel works better and doesn't wick up the wires.  I guess I'm cheap, can't see paying for something I can make that looks pretty good.  Just my thoughts fella's.  With the wires glued in it gives me something to hold onto when painting the distributor.         

20211006_094538.jpg

20211006_095235.jpg

20211006_095442.jpg

20211006_100932.jpg

20211006_094751.jpg

Well....I managed to brake the front axle while I was removing two of the leaf springs as it is very weak. I glued a new brace in but still need to tweak it into shape.  This is the ride height I'm getting now.  Don't know if I can take another leaf spring out but I'm uncertain about the height.  Those are not the wheels I'm using.  Just used them for the mock up.    

20211006_082807.jpg

20211006_112527.jpg