Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

1 hour ago, slusher said:

I had a 76 and really loved the car. But it had zero options. I put an 8 track in it for music..

My sister’s first car was a ‘76 Pinto Runabout.  Got it new for HS graduation, she drove it 4 years through college and added an FM converter and 8 track.  She got married and drove it to Arizona towing a U haul trailer in 1980.   It got hit twice in parking lots on the way there, got to AZ w/ the grille knocked out, hood mashed in, passenger's door bashed in.  Traded it for a brown '78 Datsun 280Z. 

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 1

Pinto was on my short list when I bought my first new car.  I liked the wagon, and Ford was offering the panel version without the stripe packages (and maybe even the portholes).  That '79 restyle absolutely killed it for me, boy was that front end ugly...

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Is that Beetle their little Superbug kit - the drag car with the shorter wheelbase?  Or does AMT have a 'regular' Beetle in the archives too?

Round 2 has a stock VW Beetle kit...the Polar Lights snapper.  AMT never did one on 1/25, though I think they did do a 1/43 scale one.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, alexis said:

Boy, Round2 is getting their money's worth out of that Mach One kit. I don't blame them for doing so.

I hope it's molded in white this time.

Yeah, they need to get what they can out of it before Revell's comes out in the next year or two. Even so, I just might buy one of the AMT's if for nothing other than a quality comparison.

18 hours ago, PintoKING said:

On the AMT 1971 Mustang; will it include the "stock" plain hood, so one can replicate the original "Gone in 60 seconds" Mustang? Hopefully it will.

I would be very surprised if there is any molding changes. Expect the same kit as before. Maybe if lucky, new decals.

32 minutes ago, Jon Cole said:

I would be very surprised if there is any molding changes. Expect the same kit as before. Maybe if lucky, new decals.

I'm sure it will be the same old, same old MPC tool w/ the new front end parts and wheels from the recent James Bond release....from the box art, it looks like it will finally get full '71 Mach 1 style decals.   I don't think the AMT or MPC '71-73 kits ever had a flat hood option. 

• 4 weeks later...

"Cool" 

"Rad"

????

Chad seems to be about 30 years too young to be so heavily reliant on those words, LOL!

The "Californian" Show car will sell in large numbers, but only to donate parts for many neglected Toronado builds. I am glad to see it, but I think Round2 is going to catch a whole bunch of flak for bringing it out. Cue the usual "Why'd did they waste time/money/effort re-popping that when they could have brought out something (I like ) better", comments. Well, I suspect that Round2 found the molds ready to go with minor cleaning, saw how much they sell for on the auction sites, and decided to sell a few themselves. They ARE in the Re-Popping Nostalgia business after all.

The Foxy Box is the same lame Chevy Van tooling trotted out again, with a few more custom accessories than the "Dirty Donnie" van kit. Nice to see it out, but Chad's Oversell of the kit, had me embarrassed for his sake. That level of fawning, butt-kissing should never be done in public, let alone in front of a camera.....

The Two Chevy Race cars, (Nova and Monte Carlo) are logical and needed releases. Both should fly off the shelves. It is great that the GTO Super Stocker has a stablemate. I hope some of the rest in that series see the light of day soon. With it being Nova Season, the little Rat Packer kit was a no brainer. Glad to see it. Given the current market, it will be snapped up for OOB Builds, Kit Bashing, and other uses. Can we get the Tempest back next, please. 

The TV Tommy Kit is nice to see. It should sell well, especially with new decals.

The Rupp Super Sno Sport, is the odd one to me. I cannot believe that there exists enough demand for this one yet. The secondary market seems to have plenty of these, but I am often wrong. It has been 12-13 years since it was last out, so there is  a whole new generation of builders who have never seen or built it. I hope it sells well too.

All in all, a decent Jan Report. Truthfully, I am waiting for the next 'Surprise Kit" in the vein of the Nova Wagon. I am sure there is something brewing of the same calibre. I hope I get to see what it is.

Edited by alexis
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, alexis said:

"Cool" 

"Rad"

????

Chad seems to be about 30 years too young to be so heavily reliant on those words, LOL!

Yeah, definitely not talking like a Millennial...'rad' and 'cool' are from my Gen-X youth. Maybe he should be using 'groovy' or other '60s-70s slang to appeal to the typical 65+ Round 2 customer, I guess...;)

Most of these future releases posted really appeal to me, about the only January Round 2 release I'm casually interested in is the Surf Shark Caddy.   I could see getting the Californian, maybe as a basis for a custom Toro (I don't care for the provided custom parts). 

Edited by Rob Hall