Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hammered 5 window

customline

5 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking "mail slot" windows. The flat black finish looks the same as the 1:1 and the rims and tires look almost the same as well. This is about as realistic as it gets. 

3 hours ago, cobraman said:

Has a sinister look to it, I like it.

What floored me was that it's so low and still a highboy! Severely zeed I would guess. It's the baddest coupe I've ever seen! I had to make myself a small copy. 🙂 thanks for looking!

stories.jpg.0b1c6a21716e2553fbf36714f8431d6b.jpg

7 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Excellent job. I really like the stance of it! 👍 What is the tubing on the rear for?

Thanks,Greg. The tubing would be a length of maybe 2 " pipe. It's there in case it won't  start 💩.... I think these guys may have had a use for it🥴

Edited by customline
Additional information

4 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Great chop!! I actually like the Ford hub caps better than the chrome reversed wheels of the original!

I had to use the '50 hub caps to cover my axle ends that poked through the holes in the wheels.  I work with what I've got 🥴 I would have preferred the chrome reverse if I could have used them.  I had the ones from the '49  Merc but no tires that would fit. I don't know where those wheels came from. Thanks for your interest!

GOOD LOOKING rod. Very nice.  :D

EDIT: Something about yours I like better than the real one...I think it's mostly the curvature of the roof.

The real car looks to me like the metal man maybe shrunk the roof at the edges during welding the filler panel in, and didn't take the additional time to stretch it back out. It's just too damm flat.

That tends to happen frequently when closing up the big ol' gaping hole these start with.

EDIT TOO: And your bobbed frame rails look better.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

15 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Nice job; only difference I can make out is he seems to be running smaller wheel/tires. Either way, your model is awfully cool! Well done.

Thanks, Rusty, I wish I could have really nailed it but my resources are limited so I try to get  close if I can.  Most of my stuff is like that. I won't spend a lot of money trying to nail some car just because I like it. I will if it's a car that means something to me, though, or for a special person....but that's when it becomes real work and gets expensive 😅

10 hours ago, David G. said:

As a replica, it looks pretty close to me!

You managed to capture the look and feel of the original very nicely.

David G.

Thanks, Dave, that's all I was trying to do. I see a car like that and if I have what I need on hand, I go for it. This one hit me real hard, I just love it. That coupe is bad to the bone! There are a few kits I keep buying because they are raw material for the type of cars I like. The Revell '32 5W is one of them. I just got the '29 and the '30 again...waiting for inspiration 🤔

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

GOOD LOOKING rod. Very nice.  :D

EDIT: Something about yours I like better than the real one...I think it's mostly the curvature of the roof.

The real car looks to me like the metal man maybe shrunk the roof at the edges during welding the filler panel in, and didn't take the additional time to stretch it back out. It's just too damm flat.

That tends to happen frequently when closing up the big ol' gaping hole these start with.

EDIT TOO: And your bobbed frame rails look better.

I'm really surprised by the interest in this build and the 1:1 inspiration that spawned it. I now see the flat roof and it could be that the chop isn't for looks but rather for the specific purpose of aerodynamics. OK, it probably is for looks but to look like it's a lakes car. Am I reading too much into it? A car built strictly for street use would show concern for esthetics and would look like mine.  Truthfully, I had absolutely no clue.🥴 And thanks for noticing the missing frame horns. That was intentional. two examples below. I really like this look and plan to use it more.Re771c91e7682a1c689c8265c16d2c49c.jpeg.jpg.ccedbb587e83d7b8cf124ce67a77b7df.jpgR8db5b33865119eee947826f80de34a75.jpeg.jpg.b5680b1dda20939d967632cf45f9ed0f.jpg

Edited by customline
Additional text