Model Cars Magazine Forum

‘51 Henry J

unclescott58

Okay, I’m a masochist. Friends in the MCCM (Model Car Club of Minnesota) questioned why I wanted to put myself though the torture trying build one? Nostalgia is the answer. I build one about 50 years ago. Despite knowing what the kit was like, I had to try it again. Plus I like old gassers and the overall look of the Henry Js in general. So I had to pick up and build Revell’s latest reissue. 

I actually finished this kit over a month ago. Back in early January. Before the cancelled January meeting of the MCCM. I did show it at our February meeting, back on the 9th. Ive been so busy, I  haven’t had time to post it here until now. (I built the Atlantis Mooneyes dragster shortly after it came out. I haven’t had a chance to post that here yet either.) 

Well, the kit is as bad as I remember. Thankfully my modeling skills have improved somewhat in the 50 years since I built the last one. I think it turned out pretty good. But, I’ll let you be the judge of that. 

568EEB5F-CAC8-4106-8CBF-03AB48C74944.jpeg

DF957D48-9442-403D-9670-337C5BDB425D.jpeg

686E03DA-CDCD-4F47-8A45-0166AC6CEBCB.jpeg

1260BA9F-D6E4-4D55-A248-6165AFE57D6B.jpeg

B450AE84-0B27-44C3-937B-F251A2372A98.jpeg

Edited by unclescott58
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, cobraman said:

Looks darn good to me.

10 hours ago, Zippi said:

Nice looking Henry J.  Yup....this one is diffently a head scratcher for sure.

6 hours ago, slusher said:

Beautifully done Scott!  

1 hour ago, PappyD340 said:

Super nice, well done Scott!

Thank you, guys. I’m glad you like it. 

• 3 months later...
On 2/19/2022 at 11:40 AM, ChrisR said:

Neat!

On 2/20/2022 at 10:07 AM, ewetwo said:

Very sharp looking.

On 2/20/2022 at 11:17 AM, TonyK said:

Well done and good for you. I'm building this model right now because I like the look of it. I just keep reminding myself that the kit is what it is and try to enjoy it for that. Sounds like you had the same attitude. Thanks for sharing.

On 2/20/2022 at 4:35 PM, carrucha said:

Cool gasser. Nice body color.  I like the decals included with the kit.

On 2/20/2022 at 6:36 PM, Scott8950 said:

Nice job

On 2/22/2022 at 11:02 AM, Sledsel said:

Great job!!! I plan on tackling this kit in the future myself. Any hints to pass along to us other masochist?

On 2/25/2022 at 9:42 PM, the goon said:

Love it. Great color too.

Mark

On 2/28/2022 at 2:03 PM, grodudulle77 said:

Very nice build !! 👍😀

On 3/1/2022 at 10:55 AM, Speedpro said:

Thats a hard kit to build. Your effort shows and the color is perfect. Very nice

A little late getting back to you guys. But, thanks for all the kind words. 

Very nice build of a very questionable kit.  I have a sealed one on the shelf (waiting for it to become a high-priced rarity) although I may possibly attempt to build it. Saw a couple of these running last weekend with the Southeast Gassers Association.  Didn't get any pictures them this year but did get one when they were here last year.  He is running a SBC with a four speed, and the body is all steel.

Southeast Gassers 001.JPG

Edited by TarheelRick

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 9:20 AM, Reeves Racing said:

Great job. I think this kit isn't near as bad as its been made out to be.

IMO it is. But that’s okay, because I knew that going in to it. My skills have improved a lot in over 50 years. So, despite the challenges, I enjoyed the build. And thank you for your kind words. 

On 7/4/2022 at 7:54 AM, TarheelRick said:

Very nice build of a very questionable kit.  I have a sealed one on the shelf (waiting for it to become a high-priced rarity) although I may possibly attempt to build it. Saw a couple of these running last weekend with the Southeast Gassers Association.  Didn't get any pictures them this year but did get one when they were here last year.  He is running a SBC with a four speed, and the body is all steel.

Southeast Gassers 001.JPG

I hope you go ahead and build yours. And I hope it looks as good in the end, as the Henry J above.