Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1966 Mustang GT -- Original Annual & Modified Reissue

Casey

On 4/8/2023 at 3:29 AM, Luc Janssens said:

Maybe there's a "new" promo in the works to celebrate the sixtieth anniversary, since introduction of that first Pony car, next year?

Only the Kats know.

That's an interesting thought. Based on that photo, I'd say it's a reasonable bet.

Charlie Larkin

8 hours ago, deuces wild said:

That's exactly what I was thinking about... Has anyone tried to install the '67 chassis in the '66 fastback body????....

I installed the '67 chassis, engine, inner fenders. etc under the '66 coupe here.  

Plan on doing a similar conversion under the fast back.

On 3/16/2023 at 3:08 PM, blizzy63 said:

For those interested... more pics of THAT car...

https://qualityclassics.com/cars/1966-mustang-gt-fastback-22e/

Oh, that just rocks! I gotta replicate that two tone interior! Now, in the engine compartment, the spark plug wires have white flexi 'tubes' around them. Would that be factory for the GT or is that aftermarket type heat abatement?

Tanks,

Doc

54 minutes ago, Dr Crapologist said:

Oh, that just rocks! I gotta replicate that two tone interior! Now, in the engine compartment, the spark plug wires have white flexi 'tubes' around them. Would that be factory for the GT or is that aftermarket type heat abatement?

Tanks,

Doc

Aftermarket.

• 2 months later...

I actually got my hands on an original kit today and someone swapped out the Fastback parts for the convertible. What I would like to do is find either original Fastback parts or even reissue parts to help restore this classic kit. Everything else is dead mint, and the convertible body is shot. The windshield frame is broken, and the bottoms of the front fenders near the nose have been shaved down or cut off. 

IMG_9416.jpeg

16 hours ago, 250 Testa Rossa said:

I actually got my hands on an original kit today and someone swapped out the Fastback parts for the convertible. What I would like to do is find either original Fastback parts or even reissue parts to help restore this classic kit. Everything else is dead mint, and the convertible body is shot. The windshield frame is broken, and the bottoms of the front fenders near the nose have been shaved down or cut off. 

IMG_9416.jpeg

If you get a new kit, I'd love to see a side-by-side photo of the old and new chrome trees!

Again, Casey's pic of the original...

AMT66MustangOI4.jpg

and the final disposition of the fastback chrome shot in the street freak awb drag car...

DSCN0046.JPG.f41f990d375a10100a06325f0d65e7fa.JPG

The reissued fastback uses the coupe chrome shot with, as Steve reported, altered depth on the Shelby wheels and twin fuel caps added along with an extra tail light bezel.

DSCN0048.JPG.cb01411e632c9e77763c8128e37c0276.JPG

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2023 at 10:08 PM, mk11 said:

Again, Casey's pic of the original...

AMT66MustangOI4.jpg

and the final disposition of the fastback chrome shot in the street freak awb drag car...

DSCN0046.JPG.f41f990d375a10100a06325f0d65e7fa.JPG

The reissued fastback uses the coupe chrome shot with, as Steve reported, altered depth on the Shelby wheels and twin fuel caps added along with an extra tail light bezel.

DSCN0048.JPG.cb01411e632c9e77763c8128e37c0276.JPG

Thanks for all of these pics.

Helps me out in a big way.

Wondering if there at one point there was also a separate chrome none GT gas cap available in one of the amt annuals, cuz on the Ertl issued AMT Mustang coup I have it's a molded-in feature on the rear panel.

BTW that coup eventualy is going to be build like Mike Hammer's car, put a note in that kit, so I won't forget ;)

21 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Wondering if there at one point there was also a separate chrome none GT gas cap available in one of the amt annuals, cuz on the Ertl issued AMT Mustang coup I have it's a molded-in feature on the rear panel.

I believe if there was a separate gas cap, that would have been a feature of the Autolite Special/Mach 1/Iron Horse/etc variation that used a portion of that tool. I don't have my annual kit instructions handy, but I'm sure Mark B would know. But I'm pretty positive the gas cap was always molded in.

Edited by Dave Darby
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

Has anybody seen this kit at Hooby Looby Yet?

I'd kinda like to get it local-ish, but I may just mail order it.

Probably best to mail order it.  I have not seen any examples of this kit at HL.  Local hobby shops have had some.

• Thanks 1