Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Push for Permanent "Daylight Saving" Time

All I have to say is you sure as jell can tell the fools thinking that making Daylight Saving Time permanent is a good idea have never been the ones leaving at 0-dark-30 to go to work in the middle of winter.

Making "standard" time permanent, like in Az. would make sense...    

...but this is idiocy.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

All I have to say is you sure as jell can tell the fools thinking this is a good idea have never been the ones leaving at 0-dark-30 to go to work in the middle of winter.

Making "standard" time permanent, like in Az.? Fine...but this is idiocy.

I've long been a proponent of year-round Standard Time, and more so as I've gotten older. This time change bollocks needs to GO AWAY. 

• Like 1

I'm used to leaving when it's dark in the morning, It doesn't feel right if I don't. How did this whole thing get started anyway. I heard one story that they did it to benefit farmers somehow which I could get behind. Another was that people didn't want their kids waiting for the bus in the dark. This I could also agree with but if this is some antiquated thing I say lets get rid of it. I have a clock radio that I have to get the manual out and read it just to change the clock. I still haven't gotten around to it. Even my microwave is easy to change. The clock in my truck is just a little complicated. My phone and TV box do it automatically.

52 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

I'm used to leaving when it's dark in the morning, It doesn't feel right if I don't. How did this whole thing get started anyway. I heard one story that they did it to benefit farmers somehow which I could get behind. Another was that people didn't want their kids waiting for the bus in the dark. This I could also agree with but if this is some antiquated thing I say lets get rid of it. I have a clock radio that I have to get the manual out and read it just to change the clock. I still haven't gotten around to it. Even my microwave is easy to change. The clock in my truck is just a little complicated. My phone and TV box do it automatically.

The issue is that the morons want to make Daylight Saving Time the PERMANANT time, with no seasonal changes anymore.

Why not leave STANDARD time as the permanent time, like it's been pretty much since the beginning of time?

More clueless idiots thinking they can reinvent the wheel 'cause "round" just isn't cool enough.

Younger Yay GIF - Younger Yay Excited GIFs    Stephen Georg Clap GIF - Stephen Georg Stephen Georg GIFs    Watts The Safeword Mr Kristofer GIF - Watts The Safeword Mr Kristofer Shark GIFs

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Why not leave STANDARD time as the permanent time, like it's been pretty much since the beginning of time?

Because that is logical. Logic isn't a requirement for an empty suit in an empty chair bureaucrat.

Antiquated rubbish... kids waiting for the bus in the dark?!? What year is this? 1930? The further-north one resides in/ visitors to these regions have less sunlight anyhow (Arctic Circle, anyone?). So, what's it matter that the clock reads 0400 or 1600 -- same amount of sunlight (or lack-thereof). 

I have a few battery-powered candles around should the city-operated electric candles go out.

I am fine with either standard time or DST year round. Every year when I change the clocks forward or backward an hour it messes up my sleep pattern for a week or so.   Having one timezone year round was great when I lived in AZ, but it inevitably caused confusion at work as I was always working with teams in other time zones and we would be off by an hour at times.

I like the idea of not getting dark as early in the evening in the winter.   Back when I had a commute it got tiring in the winter leaving for work in the dark and getting home in the dark.  Dark in the morning is a moot point since I work from home..I wake up around 7 and start work between 8 and 9 regardless of the time of year.  I like having more daylight in the evening after work (after 4-5pm) for doing stuff at home outside, dining out, etc... 

Edited by Rob Hall

Standard Time would probably be better that permanent Daylight Savings Time.  It's mostly just political shenanigans, anyway.  Remember several years ago when some politician decided that adjusting the time change a couple of weeks would be a good idea?  Yeah, brilliant! As soon as it went into effect, all of the timers that were set to automatically switch from Standard to Daylight & back were all out of whack!  Which meant that you had to get new timers, or have your lights or HVAC off by two weeks until they caught up with reality.  Now they want to do it again?  Sometimes I think these people just want to get their names in the history books.  Don't they have better things to do?  I guess "law makers" have to justify their jobs by making laws.

53 minutes ago, Jim B said:

Standard Time would probably be better than permanent Daylight Savings Time...Sometimes I think these people just want to get their names in the history books.  Don't they have better things to do?  I guess "law makers" have to justify their jobs by making laws.

Yup.

56 minutes ago, Jim B said:

I guess "law makers" have to justify their jobs by making laws.

That's what they are elected to do. Here they are doing just that, and in a rare case, mostly unanimously, and some grumpy old dudes get their knickers in a knot.

Seriously, this will affect so few people, and is it really such a burden on our lives that we have to complain on the internet about it? I guess that's already been answered. 🤦‍♀️

11 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Every year when I change the clocks forward or backward an hour it messes up my sleep pattern for a week or so.

That was one of the reasons given for the change, and specifically, the increase in traffic accidents immediately after the spring change happened. Hard to argue against that logic and the attempt to decrease traffic fatalities, but I have no doubt someone here will do just that, because, First World Problems.

Do they realize that with permanent Daytime Saving Time that they will be sending children to school in the dark? We've already had issues with kids being hit by cars while waiting for the bus.

I think the politicians think, that by passing this law there will actually be more daylight hours. That is set by the sun angle at different times of the year, not by US law.

28 minutes ago, Casey said:

...That was one of the reasons given for the change, and specifically, the increase in traffic accidents immediately after the spring change happened. Hard to argue against that logic and the attempt to decrease traffic fatalities, but I have no doubt someone here will do just that, because, First World Problems.

You seem to fail to grasp that making Daylight Saving Time permanent will make an extra dark hour on winter mornings when people who actually WORK for a living are trying to get to their tax-paying livelihoods.

Any imaginary accident prevention from the proposed change will likely be offset by sleepy winter morning drivers in the dark.

Weather is typically worse in winter...you know, that stuff called snow and ice?...so let's compound that by making winter morning darkness last an extra hour.

Brilliant.

EDIT: I think it's a GOOD idea to scrap the time change, but do the rational, non-moronic thing and make STANDARD time permanent...LIKE ARIZONA ALREADY DOES (and one of the factors involved in my decision to move there).

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

You seem to fail to grasp that making Daylight Saving Time permanent will make an extra dark hour on winter mornings when people who actually WORK for a living are trying to get to their tax-paying livelihoods.

Any imaginary accident prevention from the proposed change will likely be offset by sleepy winter morning drivers in the dark.

Weather is typically worse in winter...you know, that stuff called snow and ice?...so let's compound that by making winter morning darkness last an extra hour.

Brilliant.

EDIT: I think it's a GOOD idea to scrap the time change, but do the rational, non-moronic thing and make STANDARD time permanent...LIKE ARIZONA ALREADY DOES (and one of the factors involved in my decision to move there).

Just because someone doesn't agree doesn't necessarily mean that they don't understand. It's quite possible for someone to understand but still not agree. 

• Thanks 1

First off no matter what is done somebody is going to want things done differently. 

Second I have much more important things to concern myself with than this.

Third a perk of being retired is not having to get up at a precise time except for the occasional dr appt. Spent too many years a slave of an alarm clock.