Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 32 Ford Roadster REVISED (former Rat Roaster tool)

2 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

It's listed in this thread as one of the 3rd Quarter releases. However i don't know if that is officially from Revell or not

Like Jim said above, the ports between the US and China are still twisted up with backlogs of ships, so that's probably why they haven't officially announced the date yet?

It's not only limited to US ports, it's a worldwide problem, and then besides the container shortages, we're not talking about raising shipping prices, due to the high fuel costs...

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

It's not only limited to US ports, it's a worldwide problem, and then besides the container shortages, we're not talking about raising shipping prices, due to the high fuel costs...

Sorry, I was not aware it was a global issue. Of course the mainstream media here in the US just focuses on how it's effecting us here in the US, forget about the rest of the world. 😵

19 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

What is this "rest of the world" you speak of ???

Maybe you're just kidding, but there's a whole world outside the US Bill ;)

I'm from Belgium and there are all kinds of shortages, from computer chips to food products, talk with people who deal with international trade and you learn a lot.

Covit-19 created havoc in a well oiled machine and the war in the the Ukraine, killed the repair guy.

51 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Maybe you're just kidding, but there's a whole world outside the US Bill.

Yes, I'm kidding. I have what's known in the trade as a "dark and sarcastic" way of looking at things.

And I'm so fed-up with American "news" outlets, even the very few that aren't professional dogma rebleaters, that I get news feeds from several European, Asian, etc. sources.

It daily boggles my mind that the rest of the world is apparently run by idiots easily on a par with those we have here.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It daily boggles my mind that the rest of the world is apparently run by idiots easily on a par with those we have here.  :D

I fully agree!

I Kinda wonder if life ever will return to pre-covit, somehow I doubt it.

On 6/2/2022 at 10:49 PM, CabDriver said:

I suspect Revell may not even know…if these are on the water they’re likely at the mercy of the still-messed-up global logistics situation and may not have a firm dock-date for whatever ship they’re on.  Assuming they’re even ON a ship - may not even be in production yet.  

I wouldn’t get super excited just yet (but I’d love to be wrong)…

Great Point!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deuces wild said:

Yep! I prefer the stock windshield also....

Any chance the specific Roaster parts will still be in the kit, not that it bothers me cuz personally I like the Duval windshield, to me it gives the model while static, speed!  ;)

But anyway, maybe Tim Boyd, knows or can find out

Cheers

Luc

46 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Any chance the specific Roaster parts will still be in the kit, not that it bothers me cuz personally I like the Duval windshield, to me it gives the model while static, speed!  ;)

But anyway, maybe Tim Boyd, knows or can find out

Cheers

Luc

I doubt it. I don't think Revell would be able to leave the Rat Roaster parts due to licensing. 

Regarding the shipping crisis, I believe the major issue is the lack of workers more so than anything. And it's pretty much the case in every industry seems like. A friend of mine who's younger than me got fed up with the worker issue, fuel prices, etc. and sold his trucking company. A lot of the older workers are retiring and there's no one to take their place. Not many younger people want to drive a semi or delivery truck. It's not a life many people want.

35 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I doubt it. I don't think Revell would be able to leave the Rat Roaster parts due to licensing. 

Regarding the shipping crisis, I believe the major issue is the lack of workers more so than anything. And it's pretty much the case in every industry seems like. A friend of mine who's younger than me got fed up with the worker issue, fuel prices, etc. and sold his trucking company. A lot of the older workers are retiring and there's no one to take their place. Not many younger people want to drive a semi or delivery truck. It's not a life many people want.

The container issue is the big factor, there's a shortage, prices to have one, skyrocketed overnight, so I'm guessing it's kind of a bidding war to have one fast.

Dunno how the shortage came about, but remember a few years ago someone telling me that it was cheaper to scrap a container when it did it's job entering good into the US/Europe/.... then to send it back empty to China.

Edited by Luc Janssens

I guess it's my fault for nudging this off topic with my response about shipping issues. here's my attempt to get the conversation back on the topic in the title.

Like Roger said, I highly doubt they will include the parts that are being replaced.

But what I don't get about this particular issue and the changes being made due to "licensing", since when does Stacy David own the copyright on a chopped windshield on a 32 Ford? Or over frame exhaust headers on a Chevy engine? I suppose there may be a total percentage of the overall design they had to change in order to avoid the copyright infringement? Hence their ability to keep the (awesome) wheels and tires.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the coming changes, just wondering how much the "avoiding copyright" issues really is driving the changes.

10 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I guess it's my fault for nudging this off topic with my response about shipping issues. here's my attempt to get the conversation back on the topic in the title.

Like Roger said, I highly doubt they will include the parts that are being replaced.

But what I don't get about this particular issue and the changes being made due to "licensing", since when does Stacy David own the copyright on a chopped windshield on a 32 Ford? Or over frame exhaust headers on a Chevy engine? I suppose there may be a total percentage of the overall design they had to change in order to avoid the copyright infringement? Hence their ability to keep the (awesome) wheels and tires.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the coming changes, just wondering how much the "avoiding copyright" issues really is driving the changes.

I think the main issues were the portholes on the hood and the bobbed rear fenders but just dropping those makes it too close to their highboy kit. The Duvall windshield makes it visually distinct while adding a custom part that will certainly drive a percentage of sales.

5 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

I think the main issues were the portholes on the hood and the bobbed rear fenders but just dropping those makes it too close to their highboy kit. The Duvall windshield makes it visually distinct while adding a custom part that will certainly drive a percentage of sales.

You may be correct, but the Stacy David tooling was designed as a replacement for the continuously reissued 97 tooled roadster (I don't think it was ever out of the catalog after it's initial release, even though it went through several different box art iterations). Apparently the tooling was getting worn out and they took the opportunity to create a new tool to replace it. And I'm pretty sure the long game was always to update it after the SD run. and here we are today.

The reason they wouldn’t include the regular roadster windshield is because with the cowl modified for the DuValle the other one would no longer fit. 

It’s not that Stacy David owns the rights to a windshield or headers, it’s that to get around copyright they have to change some percentage of the original kit. I for one won’t miss the original headers. They have no place on a ‘32 Ford. 

Stacy David and/or his shop DOES own the work done to the interior design and that's the majority of what's been changed. The other bits and pieces are added to further make the kit stand out and be something other than the Rat Roaster with new seats.

20 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Interior, oh, okay.

'Cause there's an argument to be made that the original kit was so wide of the Rat Roaster, it couldn't have violated any licensing if it wanted to.

That was what Ed said...🤷‍♂️

On 6/7/2022 at 10:49 AM, Dennis Lacy said:

The reason they wouldn’t include the regular roadster windshield is because with the cowl modified for the DuValle the other one would no longer fit. 

It’s not that Stacy David owns the rights to a windshield or headers, it’s that to get around copyright they have to change some percentage of the original kit. I for one won’t miss the original headers. They have no place on a ‘32 Ford. 

Do you know if the engine ins going to be changed any.?