Model Cars Magazine Forum

Return of the 1/25 MPC '68 Coronet/Super Bee RT Convertible...

My family bought a used 16' IO boat in 1980 and I towed it about a mile home with my '77 Toyota SR5 pickup because it had a ball hitch on the step bumper. I soon had a hitch on my '68 Mustang J-code 4-speed coupe which towed it much better, and Dad put a hitch on his strangely equipped '70 Mustang 65B (look it up if you don't know Mustangs) with a 351C 4V. Dad used his Mustang for his fishing trips, I used mine for trips to Folsom Lake with my friends. Toyota soon went away, and I bought a '70 Cutlass convertible in early 1981 with a 350-4 barrel and TH350. Already had a hitch because the original owner used it to tow his boat. It was a much better tow vehicle than either of the Mustangs and the A/C would have the interior at polar temperatures in the amount of time it took to retrieve the boat. Important when you are in your early 20s and you and your friends just spent 10 hours boating/skiing on a 103 degree day.

Really odd thing was that my Mustang was code "N" Diamond Blue, Dad's '70 was code "N" which was called Pastel Blue by then, and the lower color of the boat was exactly the same shade. Unfortunately, I have no pictures of the boat or of any of the fun I had with it.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 1:44 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

Trailer hitch on a Daytona? Big deal.

1889069954_EastBakersfieldFerrari1966.jpg.26851b6f0e21691e691640145f3e41e0.jpg

1966. Just the thing for hauling the East Bakersfield High School bell and a few cheerleaders around the football stadium at 140 mph. tango_face_grin.png.ec3049fa6c823ab574558d31edef957b.png

I graduated from West High, on the other side of Town. Bakersfield always had a few people were ahead of the times.

I can easily believe a Lusso being here. I find it harder to believe that East High would get one, but East High wasn't on the wrong side of the tracks in 66 either.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 10:56 AM, slusher said:

I remember my dad moved us into our house in 1970 he use a U-Haul trailer about like the trailer bind the nova wagon. He moved everything with a 68 Catalina.. I remember cars pulling those large areostreem trailers..

I know that Buick had a air stream edition in the late sixties. It came with a trailer hitch and a assortment of balls in the trunk. Big block engine, turbo 400 and posi rear 

I don't understand as to why this kit's arrival keeps getting pushed back -- first it was 01/2023, then it was 02/2023, and now it's 03/2023. 

Chris, @hpiguy, et alia, got his production copy almost two months ago ! Meanwhile, AMT/MPC/Lindberg et al. kits have been announced and have arrived well-ahead of the '68 'Net 'Vert !

The Celt in me is all fired-up... the logical side of me is reminding me to be patient. 
Typically, the Celt prevails. 

21 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I don't understand as to why this kit's arrival keeps getting pushed back -- first it was 01/2023, then it was 02/2023, and now it's 03/2023. 

Chris, @hpiguy, et alia, got his production copy almost two months ago ! Meanwhile, AMT/MPC/Lindberg et al. kits have been announced and have arrived well-ahead of the '68 'Net 'Vert !

The Celt in me is all fired-up... the logical side of me is reminding me to be patient. 

They keep pushing it back because they know how badly you want one! 

Zach Galifianakis Laugh animated gif

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Been thinking about that as well.  All other kits are coming out instead.  Don't know what the hold up is.  Maybe someone in the know could fill us in.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GMP440 said:

Been thinking about that as well.  All other kits are coming out instead.  Don't know what the hold up is.  Maybe someone in the know could fill us in.

The MPC978 '68 Dodge Coronet and AMT1411 '68 Pontiac GTO got into port last week and were waiting to be unloaded.  So, they should be available very soon.  Don't worry if they sell out, we're ready to make more. 

-Steve

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, SteveG said:

The MPC978 '68 Dodge Coronet and AMT1411 '68 Pontiac GTO got into port last week and were waiting to be unloaded.  So, they should be available very soon.  Don't worry if they sell out, we're ready to make more. 

-Steve

I have both on order so I am quite excited.  Of course I won't get to them until 2030 but nice to have them!!! 

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

-Steve

Steve, any word on the retooled '65/'66 Mustang fastback? 

47 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Steve, any word on the retooled '65/'66 Mustang fastback? 

AMT1305 '66 Mustang was also shipped before the Lunar New Year break last month.  They should be here by now, but they are in a different container so I don't know for sure. 

-Steve

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Long Beach is only about 55 miles from me -- can I do a direct-receive at the port ? 😁

You need any help?  We get about 20 of us, meet at the docks and unload that container.  Have the truck there ready to roll afterwards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, SteveG said:

-Steve

There’s going to be crumbs left of these kits by the time they get into stores and people get a chance to get their hands on them or their pre-orders fulfilled. 

Edited by drksd4848

hoping a hardtop version of this kit comes,,, and i will chime in and say that it would be nice if they brought out a 71/72 Road Runner-GTX kit as mentioned earlier in this thread line. The Bee convert kit has 2 different grilles and the R.R. kit could do something similar of having both grille options. 

On 2/13/2023 at 4:44 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

Trailer hitch on a Daytona? Big deal.

1889069954_EastBakersfieldFerrari1966.jpg.26851b6f0e21691e691640145f3e41e0.jpg

1966. Just the thing for hauling the East Bakersfield High School bell and a few cheerleaders around the football stadium at 140 mph. tango_face_grin.png.ec3049fa6c823ab574558d31edef957b.png

every human in this photo is al least 70 yrs old......LOL