Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1/25 2021 Bronco First Edition

Screenshot_20220521-112358_Instagram.jpg

For those that haven't yet seen this in the Round 2 thread in the car news section, they are making a new Bronco! It has been mentioned that it is only a curbside kit, but the hood is a separate piece for future editions or for the builder to add their own engine.

I mentioned it there, but hopefully since they didn't tool the engine, that they took some time to make some nice optional parts.

• Like 2

I'll be buying one for sure! Hopefully, Round2 will add an engine and detailed suspension to it later. I'll still be happy even if they don't. It'll be cool to be able to build a model of a modern subject. Maybe if this first version does well, it'll open the door for more newer kits. 

• Like 1

Regarding the engine vs no engine, I don't think there's a more perfect example of what can be done with even the most simplistic kit ( 18 pieces ) than this model by Tony "Bogger44".

2v2aGMnigxAKN8F.jpg.10ccd767fa382312ee07c58269be61cd.jpg

When a model looks like this, I don't care if it has an engine!

• Like 6

Yeah I am still surprised that the newest model truck kit that isn't a snap kit is the Meng F350. I wish Revell would at least just take their Raptor kits and give them a more detailed chassis for the glue builders.

I feel like for this Bronco, if they could have it be curbside but well detailed like the Meng Jeep kit, then I would think they would sell (assuming a more reasonable price tag).

"I With this in mind, I have questions about many of the AMT/MPC kit choices so perhaps someone here could shed some light. 

In light of the information above, I wonder based on the previous poster what the long-term prospects for the also coming 2021 Ford Bronco are. It is apparently a no-engine mould, and of an SUV type vehicle. Once the vehicle gets updated/replaced in the "for real world size" will people still want those kits? I must do much of my research on places like Scalemates, but it seems that earlier Ford Bronco kits get reissued seldom. The 1979 version will be out for the first time since it was a new car kit, other than a spot run with a drag racer car included. Yet it is the Coronet making all the passion here. I think that speaks to the emotion of this subject. Talk about the 2021 Bronco has been less than any of the new moulded kits announced here. "

Re; the 2021 Bronco.

Ford has plans for this Platform/Car to run quite a long time. Other's can speak to that in more detail, but Ir seems a great candidate for a New Tool Kit. The fact that Ford is suppling CAD Info tells me that Ford is betting that this is a great Long Term Bet, also. I do not see many of the market for this kit being turned off by it being curbside. The Engine Bay in new cars is an awful mess, and truthfully, impossible to render in a scale form that does not look awful. Given how the Ford Factory plays with Bumpers, Grilles, Flares, Hoods and other trim items, I can see a base kit with a a separate hood, and a few other exterior trim pieces that can be swapped at will leading to a ton of different boxings, all done by changing Trip Parts, Hood, and Wheels, as well as the decals for the Graphics that are so important on Modern Cars.

I believe that Round2 & Ford have rightly judged that this will be a long term project that will generate revenue for many business cycles.

As to the Promo Question, I have no clue. I truly have no idea how big the Promo Market is, or if it even exists in any real form for new cars anymore. It may only be a market for cheap Die Casts these days.

• Like 1

My expectation is a 4 door may well come along too. Car is hot, just as original 66-77 Broncos. Ford has used promo-like kits in recent past, and like originally, it gets a playable, aspirational toy in hands of target market. Glad R2 got the contract and CAD data. Bringing well over sticker, but great price point. I’ve always used Ford trucks to tow race cars, and they don’t sell 2.5 trucks a minute, 24/7/365, by being poor marketers. 
“It’s the product, stupid” lol. 
I’m not an SUV fan, but I’d have one. My son has a fleet of ambulances, and Ford is mainstay. He’s got a loaded Bronco 4d coming, despite a Tahoe for command car. 

R2 will do well with these. It’s a business, and they’ve found a great niche. 

• Like 2

On 5/25/2022 at 7:55 AM, Jordan White said:

Yeah I am still surprised that the newest model truck kit that isn't a snap kit is the Meng F350. I wish Revell would at least just take their Raptor kits and give them a more detailed chassis for the glue builders.

I feel like for this Bronco, if they could have it be curbside but well detailed like the Meng Jeep kit, then I would think they would sell (assuming a more reasonable price tag).

I can't believe what the Meng F-350s are commanding on ebay! They already rival the old annuals! I have one on my watch list that's $162.50 with 9 hrs left.

I agree with Keyser in that we're bound to see a four door version. Then there's all of the different packages and two different tops. So, if Round2 plays this one right, it can be a great seller IMO. 

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I can't believe what the Meng F-350s are commanding on ebay! They already rival the old annuals! I have one on my watch list that's $162.50 with 9 hrs left.

I agree with Keyser in that we're bound to see a four door version. Then there's all of the different packages and two different tops. So, if Round2 plays this one right, it can be a great seller IMO. 

A pitty they didn't do a dually and yes I know there was a resin conversion kit.

2 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

A pitty they didn't do a dually and yes I know there was a resin conversion kit.

Everyone, including myself, thought for sure there would be a dually version later. But, it never happened. Maybe the 350 didn’t do as well as hoped. 

17 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Meng has never done further versions of any of their 1/24 kits.

I think most (car builders) haven’t heard of Meng until the F350 was announced, and so didn’t know their track record (me included). Based on what other companies do, it was a reasonable assumption they would modify the tooling for a new variation. 

Regardless, my thoughts are that Meng tried to go too detailed with their CV line, and thus turned off many buyers both by parts count, and price. They honestly made Tamiya look like a snap kit in terms of parts count. I feel that they could have scaled back the parts count, simplified a few assemblies, and lowered the price point. I will say however that I don’t know whether a predetermined length of time to sell the kit was imposed, or if it was sales as mentioned, that made for such short sales times.

In any case, if R2 goes for an Aoshima level kit at an AMT price point, then I will totally get a few!

1 hour ago, Jordan White said:

I think most (car builders) haven’t heard of Meng until the F350 was announced, and so didn’t know their track record (me included). Based on what other companies do, it was a reasonable assumption they would modify the tooling for a new variation. 

Regardless, my thoughts are that Meng tried to go too detailed with their CV line, and thus turned off many buyers both by parts count, and price. They honestly made Tamiya look like a snap kit in terms of parts count. I feel that they could have scaled back the parts count, simplified a few assemblies, and lowered the price point. I will say however that I don’t know whether a predetermined length of time to sell the kit was imposed, or if it was sales as mentioned, that made for such short sales times.

In any case, if R2 goes for an Aoshima level kit at an AMT price point, then I will totally get a few!

I think a bigger portion of their issues, if you want to call it that, is with their odd subject selection mixed with an eclectic knack for screwing up the final product. The F-350 has a gas exhaust system and decals instead of the correct Powerstroke stuff. The H1 is a mish-mash of years and options as rear "barn doors" weren't available on the year Hummer it is, and it's so beholden to the specific prototype they had information from it actually has the dealership logo from Louisville, KY molded into the plastic...not to mention the number of lights on the H1 that are molded in plastic military style instead of having separate lenses as you'd expect in an automotive kit. The Jeep is a weirdly specific 10th Anniversary 2 door with a specific leather interior. Most of course are 4 doors with a normal cloth interior. The GT 40 feels like a by-product of the large scale kit, and the new BMW Z4 (which was released in HK last week) is another oddball answer to a question I don't know anyone was asking. They have the Bimmer license from all the 1/9 bikes kits, but I think other "M" spec cars (M3, M4, M5, even the older GT3 base M6, or GTE based M8 in civilian clothes) would be more broadly interesting topics other than having something that most people relate to as being what ruins the 5th Gen Supra.