Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT The Green Hornet Black Beauty Kit

Aoshima did a number of kits based on Thunderbirds, and they also did a few from Captain Scarlet, which is another Anderson production with a big following outside the US.   Some better versions in 1/24 or 1/25 would be welcome.

Maybe it was a Commonwealth thing, but they showed a lot of Gerry Anderson shows up here in Canada.  I grew up on a steady diet of Fireball XL-5, Stingray, and Thunderbirds.  UFO remains one of my favourites, and if Round 2 wants to do anything based on that show, I would be okay with this.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SteveG said:

I suppose you could argue that we missed our window on the Black Beauty, I'm hoping that we didn't and it's a success.  For those who think we should be doing something else, what SiFi and or TV-Movie Movie car or truck would you like to see next? 

As for doing it the BB as a 2n1 kit, there's just too many differences between the Dean Jefferies design and the stock 66 Imperial to make that work.  For what it's worth, the design team was given all the stock Imperial details for future use. 

-Steve

I also agree that the Bluesmobile would be a good kit to do. I have another suggestion as well though that would be lower risk and cheaper to do. IIRC a few years ago AMT was able to rebox the Aoshima BTTF Deloreans. What if you were to do a similar deal to rebox their Mad Max V8 Interceptor? 

• Like 2

I'm glad they are going to put this one out. I for one can't wait!  I am also happy they are doing it in 1/25 scale, 1/24 would look wrong on my shelf with my Monkee mobile and Batmobile! As for the fact that it is a curdside, I can fix that with one on my other mopar kits as  a doner for the frame and drivetrain.

Jerry

For everyone screaming about multi-variants and debunking them. Let's see how much this costs first. Also for anyone who was at Wonderfest, did Round2 talk up specific features about this kit that make it anything other than a  blown up version of the 1/32 kit? Tooling is a lot cheaper when all the R&D is already done and you're just copying a pattern to a larger (or smaller) size.

BTW the Tamiya Toyota TS020 had two releases originally (one with the clear body shtick) and a later reissue in the "black box" style. Also when that kit came out in 1999 it was wildly more expensive than anything made domestically here. Heck it STILL has a $40 MSRP if you buy it directly from TamiyaUSA. NuNu's BMW M8 has a second version coming this summer and they sold out of the first run.

As I've said countless times before - You can make a 0 variant kit, you're just gonna pay a whole lot of money for it (see the $60+ price tag at Belkits for example).

16 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

For everyone screaming about multi-variants and debunking them. Let's see how much this costs first. Also for anyone who was at Wonderfest, did Round2 talk up specific features about this kit that make it anything other than a  blown up version of the 1/32 kit? Tooling is a lot cheaper when all the R&D is already done and you're just copying a pattern to a larger (or smaller) size.

Although not my project, I can clear up a couple of things.  This project is being handled by the Sci-Fi team who have their own budget and guidelines.  Typically their projects are single subjects although that doesn't mean there won't be more then one version offered.  Take the Polar Lights 1/25th scale '66 Batmobile kits as an example. 

Also, this is not just a resized version of the old 1/32nd scale kit.   This 1/25th scale BB kit started as a clean slate. 

For those who think the regular car and truck kit team missed out because of this, there's still one more announcement coming soon of a cloned vintage kit project, we just got the first round mockups for it last week.  We've been trying to get it done for 2022 but I'd say early 2023 is more likely.  It has to stay under wraps for now but there's clues out there.

-Steve

Edited by SteveG
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Cool!  Thankya Steve.  😎

Very happy to hear the GH Imperial is tabula rasa and I don't know that Round 2 has missed any particular windows on it.  The Batmobile might indicate not - is Black Beauty as iconic?  Guess we'll see.

As so many here have already, I would bring up the Bluesmobile Monaco - would that be one for your team or Sci-Fi?  Either department would be operating more on a pop culture subject if they took this on, but perhaps there's enough pattern groundwork in the diecast to make it feasible?

It does keep coming up...

• Like 1

I’m excited that Round 2 is bringing out a 1/25th scale Black Beauty. I love the ‘64 through ‘66 stock Imperials. But, I’ve always liked the modified Black Beauty too. I have a stock ‘65 Imperial convertible I built a few years ago. So I’m good there. I also have the 1/32nd scale Black Beauty. Which I like. But, I’m still interested in getting and building the 1/25th scale version. 

One thing I wish Round 2, or anybody else would do, is offer a stock version of a DeLorean. I like the Back to the Future movies, but I have no interest in building any of the modified versions from any of three movies. I’m also not really a big fan of the DeLorean in stock form. But I would build a stock version if it was available.

20 hours ago, SteveG said:

Although not my project, I can clear up a couple of things.  This project is being handled by the Sci-Fi team who have their own budget and guidelines.  Typically their projects are single subjects although that doesn't mean there won't be more then one version offered.  Take the Polar Lights 1/25th scale '66 Batmobile kits as an example. 

Also, this is not just a resized version of the old 1/32nd scale kit.   This 1/25th scale BB kit started as a clean slate. 

For those who think the regular car and truck kit team missed out because of this, there's still one more announcement coming soon of a cloned vintage kit project, we just got the first round mockups for it last week.  We've been trying to get it done for 2022 but I'd say early 2023 is more likely.  It has to stay under wraps for now but there's clues out there.

-Steve

And here ladies and germs we have the results of asking the right questions. Answers and clarity...instead of bickering like school children arguing about wasting plastic pellets.

• Thanks 4

On 6/7/2022 at 11:59 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I think it's great, though I have zero interest in movie or TV cars.

What I see in the kit's future if I ever buy one is a cleaned up nose and tail, a heavy chop, slammed...with a turbine-electric hybrid powertrain if I'm feeling really ambitious, and live long enough.  :D

Anything the manufacturers can generate a profit on floats my boat, as more money means more chance of new or reissued geezermobiles.   B)

100% agree with you on that!!!

Now how 'bout a fully customized Imperial WAGON? or pickup?

quote: 

-Steve

end quote.

My personal guess for that new-cloned kit is....   MPC 1968-9 Impala!

Other possibilities:

AMT 1960 Ford F-100 pickup

AMT 1961-63 Ford F-100 unibody pickup

MPC 1978 Pontiac Ventura

MPC 1972 Pontiac Grand-Prix

MPC 1972 Mercury Montego

But this is getting way off-topic!

Maybe we should start a new topic just for this.  🙂

3 minutes ago, PintoKING said:

quote: 

-Steve

end quote.

Other possibilities:

MPC 1978 Pontiac Ventura

MPC 1972 Mercury Montego

I have a gut feeling it's going to be either the 71 Dodge Demon or the 67 Ford Galaxie.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PintoKING said:

quote: 

-Steve

end quote.

Other possibilities:

MPC 1978 Pontiac Ventura

MPC 1972 Mercury Montego

I thought the announcement was for the 68 Coronet?

10 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I thought the announcement was for the 68 Coronet?

But wait, there’s more!👍🏼
Nova, Cutlasses, Coronet, and ?? for approx 1  resto mod per quarter. Not counting coupe/motor/no motor variants. 
That’s a lot of product in short period of time. 
@Steve Gnice work sir. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keyser said:

But wait, there’s more!👍🏼
Nova, Cutlasses, Coronet, and ?? for approx 1  resto mod per quarter. Not counting coupe/motor/no motor variants. 
That’s a lot of product in short period of time. 
@Steve Gnice work sir. 

I can't take the credit for this last one, it's John G's project but I'm all-in on the choice.  I'll drop one further hint, it's not a Factory Stock model and there's clues in one of Casey's older threads on what it could be. 

-Steve 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SteveG said:

I can't take the credit for this last one, it's John G's project but I'm all-in on the choice.  I'll drop one further hint, it's not a Factory Stock model and there's clues in one of Casey's older threads on what it could be. 

-Steve 

The search is on!! (LOL)