Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup: 4 year project Completed

On 6/29/2022 at 12:03 PM, Bainford said:

Congratulations, Francis. Your tenacity and hard work have paid off handsomely in an incredible and stunning model. A work to truly be proud of. Like many others, I have enjoyed the journey, and learned some stuff along the way. Thank you for taking the time to fully document the process. I know it takes a lot of additional time and effort to do so, and given the time and effort already consumed by this project, there must have been times when it seemed like an unnecessary chore. We all appreciate it. Hat's off to you, sir, for such an impressive accomplishment. Cheers.

Thanks Trevor !

This is the end of a fairly long journey in the "norm" for this hobby, but I know that some people can stretch a project out for a decade.  It's not easy to deliver a very detailed project in a short period of time but it allowed me to be in contact with great people and very knowledgeable in the automotive field.  I was very happy to have you follow and comment on my project and I am grateful for that.  I hope that my next project will be of interest to you! 😊

Francis

On 6/29/2022 at 12:16 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Mario !

Since we are not so far from each other, maybe we can meet at an exhibition somewhere in the province of Quebec and share our common passion, you are a very good modeler and you have a lot of beautiful subject to expose.

Francis

Hi Francis,

I would certainly like that. I haven't seen much activity here in Montreal. Maybe it will start again, I check the internet but I haven't found much.

I really enjoy looking at your builds, you are a true accomplished modeler. 

On 6/29/2022 at 10:39 PM, Steve H said:

Francis my friend, what an incredible journey. Not really sure where to start…

I think rather than starting with the masterpiece, I’ll start with the master. You sir, are not only an incredible talent, but your humbleness, and your never ending gracious personality are truly remarkable. Thank you for taking the time to document this work of art, and thanks for sharing your journey and expertise with us.  I really hope I get to see this amazing build in person someday, I also I hope to have the pleasure of meeting the master modeller Francis Laflamme.  We will all miss the updates, and trying to come up with new superlatives to express how amazing each individual piece looks. Take good care, and like all the others here, I look forward to the next chapter. 
Oh ya, that Dodge truck you built is pretty cool!! My brother is a machinist by trade, (a really good one), he is in awe of your work. I will spend more time studying the photos, so much detail… I like that we didn’t get much in the way of teasers or mock ups, so the big reveal was that much more impressive.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks a lot Steve, you are too kind my friend !

Your comments about me are very touching and I try to be the same kind of person in my personal and professional life, the people around me are important and I try to take care of them.  The pleasure of sharing is satisfying and the recognition one receives is priceless.  We are separated by a big country, a big planet but this forum brings us together despite the distance in a common space where we get to know each other and share our passion for this wonderful hobby.

As for the truck, I must admit that I'm proud of it and you put some of your touch when I modified the front suspension to lower it a bit to the ground.  Of course, it's not a low rider like you like (à la Steve Hayden) but I went as low as I could with a little thought for you during this modification step.

You may be surprised to learn that I am one of those who often finds the grass greener on the neighbor's side and I find a lot of inspiration and motivation through the work of others.  There are some great things happening on this forum and to have joined it by connecting with people of your caliber will remain for me the most beautiful reward !

Another adventure is coming up and I hope you will be part of it, the departure is planned for next fall, in the meantime work is calling me... yes, I am working tonight on this beautiful Canada Day...! 🇨🇦😢

Francis

On 6/30/2022 at 3:46 PM, happy grumpy said:

Hi Francis,

I would certainly like that. I haven't seen much activity here in Montreal. Maybe it will start again, I check the internet but I haven't found much.

I really enjoy looking at your builds, you are a true accomplished modeler. 

Hi Mario,

There is the Quebec show in the fall, one in Drummondville in the spring (April or May) and another one was organized every two years in Mirabel before the pandemic, but I don't know if it's still going on.  I'll let you know if I have more information.

Francis

Francis, I totally enjoyed following your build, and am almost disappointed it is completed! :) Such stunning work, and it is so easy to forget when looking at your photos that the entire thing is only about 9" long. I remember when you made the ignition resistor and it barely registered on your fingertip. Thank you for the education, the inspiration, and the opportunity to get to know you a little in the process. Well done Sir!

On 6/30/2022 at 10:07 AM, grodudulle77 said:

WoW !!! Outstanding work, all is perfect !!! Incredible, it really looks like the real, to do better is impossible, great respect Mister !!! 👍👍👍

Thanks Philippe !

Perfection is not of this world but I do my best to satisfy my obsession with details without going to extremes.  I'm flattered if you like it, it's been a long road but the arrival is much appreciated!

Francis

23 hours ago, JollySipper said:

This build is MOST superlative! The proportions of the scratch built body are perfect, the details are all perfect......... It's just perfect!

Thanks TJ, I appreciate your comments even if perfection doesn't exist...! 😊

The body was indeed the most difficult part because everything is based on pictures found on the web, I think that the proportions respect quite well the real truck, in any case, the pictures seem to go in this direction.  The machining of the mechanical parts is more in my field of competence and the new techniques I learned will be I hope an asset for the future.

See you later in a new project, Francis

20 hours ago, John M. said:

Outstanding job Francis. The detail on every square inch of your truck is absolutely jaw dropping.

Thanks John !

I can now check off the "to do" model box as this one has been on my mind for years.  I am happy and a little sad to let this old friend go but I will have the consolation of seeing to see him in my shelf with his new friends !

Francis

On 7/1/2022 at 4:07 PM, NOBLNG said:

I must say Francis, that I really enjoyed following your build. I would never have thought it was possible to fabricate some of the tiny components and details that you accomplished. Thanks!👍

Thanks Greg !

With time and patience, it's amazing what you can achieve, sometimes you can surprise yourself !   I have always thought that effort is rewarded in the same proportion as one puts into it, at least most of the time... 🤔

Yes, I put a lot of time and I learned a lot from this build, I hope you will be part of my next project even if it is not a truck ?

Francis

On 7/1/2022 at 4:23 PM, ea0863 said:

Francis, I totally enjoyed following your build, and am almost disappointed it is completed! :) Such stunning work, and it is so easy to forget when looking at your photos that the entire thing is only about 9" long. I remember when you made the ignition resistor and it barely registered on your fingertip. Thank you for the education, the inspiration, and the opportunity to get to know you a little in the process. Well done Sir!

Thanks Emre !

I think there are about 700 photos and I didn't photograph everything I did because it took a lot of time away from the build.   I tried to go with the basics and I'm glad if you liked the project.

Now I have to recharge my batteries and choose the right subject, the one that will motivate me for the next months. 😊

Francis

17 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

So good to see the end result! Such an incredible model you have made!

Thanks Anton !

I remember the first cut I put in the basic donor and I surprise myself with how it turned out at the very end.  I was told at the beginning that it was a very ambitious project but there is nothing wrong with being ambitious, it is often said that you get nothing for nothing, this is a small victory that I will use as motivation for my next project.

Thank you for being part of the trip,

Francis

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 10:20 AM, Scott8950 said:

I've been really busy with home projects so this is my first time seeing it completed, although I didn't comment alot I did follow this build.

Francis WOW this truck is not only beautiful its a work of art!!!

Amazing my friend. 

Thank you very much Scott !

I have to admit that I don't always have time to comment on all the threads I view.  Not all topics are in our areas of interest but I often get surprised by projects that are very cool.

I hope you'll be on board for my next project, in the meantime I'm going to get motivated by enjoying the diversity and good ideas of others! 😁

See ya soon,

Francis

And the Best Of Show winner is.........

This thing is just mind blowing> i was following the WIP and I am at a loss for words. 

Thank God you are in Canada and I never have to compete against you at a show . LOL.

No, seriously, this is just outstanding work. 

• Thanks 1

Hey Francis,

I may be late to the party, but the praise is high just the same. You did it Francis! This is such and excellent piece. SO many fantastic details that are put together with a fine touch your work rivals every modeler out there. Congratulations and well done! I hope to see this at a lot of contest tables.

Scott

• Thanks 1