Model Cars Magazine Forum

1992 Chevrolet C1500 454SS "Purple Nightmare"

I got this kit in a trade many, many, many years back with Nick Winter. The idea was to do a 90's style sport truck, so the trim, emblems, and handles were removed/filled, an old Accu-pro ZR1 roll pan was installed, and some Hiro three spoke wheels with Pirelli tires were set aside. There the project sat for a very long time, boxed up with the red Sportside I finished not too long ago, but here it is finally finished. 

Aside from the roll pan and rolling stock mentioned before, the model is pretty close to box stock. Alterations include a cowl induction hood from the Phantom dually kit, a new radiator and electric fan, cowl induction air cleaner housing, steering wheel and seats from an AMT Resto Rods kit, Iceman Collections side mirrors, a tinted glass unit from a Brickyard 400 promo, and a tonneau cover made from .020" plastic sheet. The 1992/3 style 454 SS graphics are from a Ray's Kits decal sheet. The suspension has been modified to lower the truck, slightly de-arched springs out back and  new spindles up front. Paint is Testors Purpleicious. All it needs to complete the 90s aura is a flannel shirt on the passenger seat and a copy of Stone Temple Pilots' "Core" album in the cassette deck.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chuck Most said:

All it needs to complete the 90s aura is a flannel shirt on the passenger seat and a copy of Stone Temple Pilots' "Core" album in the cassette deck.

Or a copy of "Nevermind" on the Kenwood CD player. 

Fits the 90s style perfectly!

Beautiful build! I like these allot. And this generation truck is what I saw allot growing up here in Sweden. Several friends used to own crew cab’s and an other one had a 454SS, only thing he wanted was more power. ;)

I am building this kit in the WIP section.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...