Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1966 Mustang GT Fastback

Maindrian Pace

The story of this car is in the build thread, basically a restored glue bomb that I bought a year ago and started working on after the new issue was announced by Round 2. It's basically a stock rebuild with a few exceptions, like the resin engine bay insert and a few other kitbashed details. It's meant to represent a 3 year old car that was looked after pretty well, the owner deciding to spruce it up with Cobra valve covers from the Ford dealer and a set of all-new 60 series Polyglas tires, because those were all the rage back in '69. These are from an AMT parts pack, the smaller of the two sizes.

Paint is Scalefinishes Emberglo base/clear, with a matching interior. Side stripes are reproduction decals sold on ebay by Mustang 2+2 Toy Supply. He makes these primarily for the promos and the Philco radios, but they are the same as what was included in the original kits. I printed the license plates and the Hipo 289 air cleaner decal. The expiration sticker on the rear plate was cut from another decal plate. All trim and emblems are Bare Metal foil, windshield wiper blades are slivers of automotive pinstripe tape. Under the hood, the final details were photo etched radiator hose clamps and the center of the radiator cap, and the washer bag from a Monogram '65 kit. I added the two horns on each side of the radiator from the Monogram kit, cut from the core support. They were a little too large, so I filed them down to exactly approximately more or less roughly in the neighborhood of 1/25 scale.

It will be interesting to see how the new Fastback kit compares to the original, and what new parts are in the box.

IMG_0974.jpeg.310097b1fe685fbe9ede283894fe0329.jpeg

IMG_0957.jpeg.7bedf10cffaf8aa0e53b066d54b9d6b1.jpeg

IMG_0958.thumb.jpeg.7a0ffd6300236b632f373edbb3a080db.jpeg

IMG_1027.jpeg.3f535c954e36439d15668b3e033e65f9.jpegIMG_1030.thumb.jpeg.7d5f8ad714d3543be6313674c5168c08.jpeg

IMG_1033.jpeg.caa198e28a75ed5d1496aa2c5c4b1a62.jpeg

IMG_1032.jpeg.7daa70b30628f5fcc8a096902292c09f.jpeg

IMG_0969.jpeg.ea50f50340ee02aa041a83fc314f326e.jpeg

IMG_1035.thumb.jpeg.1a8cb3149d068b204eda66fc7e1e0ee0.jpeg

IMG_1037.thumb.jpeg.e70d054b783c955a796782680af95c88.jpeg

IMG_1036.thumb.jpeg.3d10ca86f4d86913142e3e79f0b71466.jpeg

• Like 14

5 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Wow! Beautiful. I especially like the color. 

5 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Wow!

4 hours ago, Mike C. said:

Reall nice, clean build Mike! I also like that color and the white letter tires. Also, great backdrop. 👍 👍

4 hours ago, espo said:

I agree with everyone else on the color. I like how the interior is done to match. 

4 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

You knocked that one right out of the park Mike!  Great workmanship detailing, and excellent paint color choice and execution. On top of being a great save.  It's a beauty. Love the photo backdrop too!

3 hours ago, bisc63 said:

It was fun following this one, and the end result is simply stunning. What a great looking model and car.  I gotta find a bucket of that color!

3 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Wow, that turned out excellent! And what a great color!

3 hours ago, cobraman said:

Very nice model, very nice photos.

2 hours ago, Jim B said:

Nice looking Mustang.  Your road & backdrop is really cool!

1 hour ago, 70 Sting said:

Great looking car, expertly built.

Thanks very much Gentlemen.

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Dynamite save and restoration/upgrade of that bad boy! 

Perfect choice of colours -- unique for sure!

(Enquiry unrelated to your work: Where ever are the back-up lamps?)

John, they were optional on '65 and very early '66 Mustangs, I believe up to Sept. '65 production. Then the feds made backup lights a requirement for all 1966 cars across the board. AMT probably got the '66 blueprints before the mandate, so no backups in this kit. The new kit looks like it's going to have a new valance that includes the backup lights.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rsmodels said:

Mike, this is one fantastic looking model. Great paint, foil work, and attention to details. The engine looks superb as does the whole model. I agree about the paint color-I love it and also the interior. Great photos too, thanks for posting.

Thanks Rich. One thing I noticed about this color, the camera loves it - I can't seem to take a bad picture. I'm no photographer, and the iPhone isn't the best either; but with other color cars , especially darker colors, it can be a struggle to come up with something clear.

12 hours ago, charger74 said:

Excellent job 👌🏻👌🏻

11 hours ago, ozmodeler said:

Great job on the resto. I hope the new AMT kit has the correct engine bay, as I'm looking forward to the building it as soon as available.

9 hours ago, catpack68 said:

Nice work and I love that color👍

8 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Awesome!

3 hours ago, oldscool said:

I really like this one! Great model.

3 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

Fantastic model!  

2 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Super nice with all the improvements and of course the color is beautiful.  When I built a similar MPC version recently I did not deviate very far from a stock build but yours shows it was worth the extra efforts.

Thanks Rex. yours turned out really nicely, and your color choice just may have had an influence on mine.

Thanks again Gentlemen.

• Like 1

Beautifully clean build. The foil work and detail on the wipers are especially nice.

Reminds me of toolin' around in my Dad's Dark Blue HiPo 1966 Mustang Gt ( Where I admittedly got 

a bit heavy footed at times), FUN car.