Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question about Dupli-Color

I decided to try Dupli-Color perfect match and am having some problems.

I primed the test piece with Mr Color 1000 surface primer and when I apply the paint it goes on beautifully glossy, but when dry it's glossy in some spots, dull in others. 

Sprayed 3 coats and the same result.  The dull areas don't show up in the same place each time. 

Any ideas?  

How wet did you spray the color on the test piece? Was the test piece styrene, or something more resistant to lacquer solvents? The reason for the questions, just wondering if the solvent in the Duplicolor was activating solvents in the primer coat.

Lacquers are a beautiful thing- they adhere by melting into previous coats (be they primer, lighter coats of color etc.) and can smooth out texture in previous coats when color is built up slowly with adequate time for each layer to "gas out.". If the color coats are sprayed too wet on our models, those solvents can make their way down and affect the primer, and even the styrene under that primer. The trick is to build up thin coats slowly rather than flooding the paint on to minimize how those solvents affect previous coats and substrate. 

If some polishing compound eliminates the problem, it is likely blushing as mentioned in other posts. If there appears to be texture in the paint in certain parts of the piece rather than blushing that smooths out with simple polishing, it may be solvents reacting in the paint and primer, or even solvents that have softened the styrene base material in portions.

• Like 2

You should always apply clear coats before polishing out metallic colors regardless. Polishing straight metallics will cut down into the aluminum flakes, exposing them to the surface and causing a splotchy effect as well as color change due to the aluminum flakes tarnishing over time.

Clear coat gives extra layers to polish and avoid damaging paint underneath. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2022 at 2:17 AM, gman said:

How wet did you spray the color on the test piece? Was the test piece styrene, or something more resistant to lacquer solvents? The reason for the questions, just wondering if the solvent in the Duplicolor was activating solvents in the primer coat.

Lacquers are a beautiful thing- they adhere by melting into previous coats (be they primer, lighter coats of color etc.) and can smooth out texture in previous coats when color is built up slowly with adequate time for each layer to "gas out.". If the color coats are sprayed too wet on our models, those solvents can make their way down and affect the primer, and even the styrene under that primer. The trick is to build up thin coats slowly rather than flooding the paint on to minimize how those solvents affect previous coats and substrate. 

If some polishing compound eliminates the problem, it is likely blushing as mentioned in other posts. If there appears to be texture in the paint in certain parts of the piece rather than blushing that smooths out with simple polishing, it may be solvents reacting in the paint and primer, or even solvents that have softened the styrene base material in portions.

This! Read all the words! 👍

Edited by Raoul Ross
  • Like 2

On 9/21/2022 at 5:55 PM, Dave Van said:

I always plan on a final coat of good clear. 

x2, I always clearcoat mine too since if there is any hazing, it eliminates it.

On a slightly separate note, with how high the prices are getting on the Duplicolor paint nowadays, it is now getting more cost effective to get the larger cans from a site like automotivetouchup.com, especially since their paint lays on perfectly every time for me and it doesn't get as much, or any, hazing compared to Duplicolor.

On 9/25/2022 at 8:26 AM, Jordan White said:

x2, I always clearcoat mine too since if there is any hazing, it eliminates it.

On a slightly separate note, with how high the prices are getting on the Duplicolor paint nowadays, it is now getting more cost effective to get the larger cans from a site like automotivetouchup.com, especially since their paint lays on perfectly every time for me and it doesn't get as much, or any, hazing compared to Duplicolor.

Yeah, the can was pretty pricey. I used a dark red pearl and it polished out very nicely. I haven't decided if the extra cost was worth the result though.