Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1996 Chevrolet C3500 Dually Pickup Truck (Snap) ("New Tool")

martinfan5

I'm just glad to see a fresh source of the '95+ interior parts! The only downside is there is no current version of the Vortec engine parts right now (the ones in the S10 and Blazer are different to the fullsize trucks).

Also, hopefully they do enough to warrant the $36 price tag!

Well remember there was a "Street Machine Dually" that was part of the SnapFast line back in the day that had a billet grille, custom rims and a cowl induction hood. If one were to take the newly tooled stock grille and hood from the upcoming short bed and then tool up some actual 3500 dually rims and MIRRORS (and maybe tires depending on what the disposition of the truck tires are out of the extended cab/Ram 3500 Dually) and *Poof* Bob's Your Uncle you have (finally) a factory stock Silverado 3500.

Edited by niteowl7710

4 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Well remember there was a "Street Machine Dually" that was part of the SnapFast line back in the day that had a billet grille, custom rims and a cowl induction hood. If one were to take the newly tooled stock grille and hood from the upcoming short bed and then tool up some actual 3500 dually rims and MIRRORS (and maybe tires depending on what the disposition of the truck tires are out of the extended cab/Ram 3500 Dually) and *Poof* Bob's Your Uncle you have (finally) a factory stock Silverado 3500.

There was a stock version in the SnapFast line also, molded in dark red.  

7 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Yeah. It was a GMC grille without the letters. 

I don't see how this is a new tool. Unless the tooling was lost somehow. 

It's possible they can't find all the original tooling, but they are probably combining the work they are doing for the C1500 short bed kit with this to make a "modified new tool" to give some more detail and additional parts.

19 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

It's possible they can't find all the original tooling, but they are probably combining the work they are doing for the C1500 short bed kit with this to make a "modified new tool" to give some more detail and additional parts.

Since the original tooling was snap together, I'm hopeful that Round2/AMT might be making changes to the chassis to make it more like a regular kit.  I won't mind having another source of 1 ton wheels, a long wheelbase chassis, and side mirrors, it would make it worth the cost.  If modelers can slip the regular cab from the C1500 kit onto the chassis with little modification, the possibilities for making tow trucks, ambulances, and fire trucks will be a breeze.  If Round2/AMT can slide an engine in it or make it a full crew cab set up, I'll be more than happy to buy one.  

My only concern is the recent increase in warpage that I have been seeing in kits.  I bought a few '55 Chevy Cameos recently and the warpage on the bed parts has been horrible.  Thankfully, I'm making my own beds for my models, but pumping out >$25 for a kit with warped parts is getting ridiculous.  As long as this "new tool" fits together better than some of the current offerings that Round2/AMT is pumping out, I'll go for at least one, if not more. 

• Like 2

Here's the printed mockup for the Dually.  In the late '80's and 90's a number of promos were contracted out as finished items and we never owned the tooling.  I believe the Dually was part of that group.   Also shown is a partial first test shot for the C1500.  They were designed at the same time but don't actually share any parts. 

-Steve 

PC074506-Edit.png

PC074510-Edit.png

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Jordan White said:

Steve, is there any chance of updating the interior in the future to the '98-'99 dash with the passenger airbag? Also, I know you may not be able to answer this, but is there any possibility of the '95/'96 Tahoe returning anytime soon?

46 minutes ago, keyser said:

@Steve GIs the Dually still a snap? The jobber outsourced the snap kits too? Interesting. I’ve got a few of each, really liked the rodded one. 

I haven't given any thoughts to updating the Dually yet kit beyond this issue but I wouldn't rule it out.  I believe the Tahoe is another one that we never owned the tooling for.  So if we did it it would have to be retooled.  It would probably be few years away If I can get on the to do list. 

I would describe the new Dually kit as an easy to assemble glue kit.  Same for the Silverado Pickup. 

-Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SteveG said:

Here's the printed mockup for the Dually.  In the late '80's and 90's a number of promos were contracted out as finished items and we never owned the tooling.  I believe the Dually was part of that group.   Also shown is a partial first test shot for the C1500.  They were designed at the same time but don't actually share any parts. 

-Steve 

Thanks for the info Steve.