Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1996 Chevrolet C3500 Dually Pickup Truck (Snap) ("New Tool")

martinfan5

51 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Actually, there will be two sets of wheels. One set is chrome plated as shown on the box art plus a duplicate set but without the plating that you can paint for a work truck style build. 

-Steve 

Now that is just Awesome!!!

Thanks for telling us, and Thanks for doing it!

That kit is going to be a Tow Vehicle for a lot of Saturday Night race rigs!

Edited by stavanzer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stavanzer said:

If I remember correctly, there are two kinds of mirrors in the kit.

Only one set of mirrors housings for this version. copied from direct the Chevy promo sample.   There are a spare set of mirror faces though.  I'll look into some trailering style mirrors for any future version. 

-Steve 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2023 at 5:47 PM, SteveG said:

Only one set of mirrors housings for this version. copied from direct the Chevy promo sample.   There are a spare set of mirror faces though.  I'll look into some trailering style mirrors for any future version. 

-Steve 

Something similar to the mirrors in the Monogram F-350 kit would be close to what the factory offered.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Jim B said:

This truck is intriguing.  Does anyone make a 5th wheel that can be mounted in the bed?

Scenes Unlimited offered one as well, not sure if the new owner has one in the line as of yet but worth checking.

I just called the 1 (800) TAK-AWAY number for fun. A recording says they have some special promotions to offer and asks if you are over 50. If "No" is selected, it hangs up. LOL 

I'm looking forward to this kit though. 

Edited by Matt T.
  • Haha 2

Interesting choice on that design. The 5th wheel is in the closed and locked position which would be accurate if you can fit the trailer's king pin down inside the space provided. But if you don't have a trailer hooked you might want to consider taking it in for servicing since it should close/lock on it's own volition. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 6/19/2023 at 2:48 PM, Jim B said:

... does anyone make a bed toolbox that would fit in this kit?

Like this?

20220925_133734.jpg

Not my pic or kit, picture from the designer's site.

These are readily available for printing, could easily be scaled to fit the Chev's bed.

I'd be open to print and ship. 

Doesn't open though. I'm looking for one that I can hinge and open.

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Like this?

20220925_133734.jpg

Not my pic or kit, picture from the designer's site.

These are readily available for printing, could easily be scaled to fit the Chev's bed.

I'd be open to print and ship. 

Doesn't open though. I'm looking for one that I can hinge and open.

Yes, very much like that.  I don't care that it doesn't open.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my order today from Wes's Model Car Corner that included the new C3500. Overall not a bad looking kit and should build up nicely. I do appreciate the two sets of wheels in the kit, although there's only one set of tires. I compared this new kit to the old kit and I saw a big difference in the wheels and tires between the two kits.

The old kit had smooth wheels to slide the tires over, allowing one to use different tires if they had them. The new kit has "nubs" on the wheels and the supplied tires are hollow and therefore fit on the wheels better. I tried to slide a set of tires I have in the stash from Scenes Unlimited on the new kit wheels and the nubs on the wheels gave the tires a squared off look. I am sure some sanding will fix that problem. 

I also noticed that the new kit tires are squared off with no sidewall bulge or detail, as compared to the old kit.

It will be interesting to see what the aftermarket guys do to give us some options for this kit- tool boxes, wheels and tires, grilles, etc- because I can see some variations of this kit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...