Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pledge Floor Care with Future

Thanks guys, I appreciate it, though I couldn’t even find that last night either?! Checked a Jewel/OSCO near the Italian place Dad and I had dinner at as well as a Target we passed on the way home without luck. Maybe I’ll find it at HyVee today or should check the Jewel/OSCO Mom and I used to work for as well.

In the USA do you have a chain of mid range hardware stores? Not the big Home whatever warehouses. 

Here in UK, this Quickshine is a longtime alternative that's the home brand of our 'Lakeland' stores.

One small UK company can't be the only people marketing this?

And google 'britmodeller quickshine' for some reviews of this wax.

20286_1.jpeg.8b96c4354224194138a724f821f57a84.jpeg

Found one on Amazon if you're willing to pay $50 for it. On the bright side, it will last for years!

https://www.amazon.com/Pledge-Floor-Finish-Gloss-27/dp/B002YC438C/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=future+acrylic+floor+finish&qid=1670705925&sr=8-2

Oh, and here's the Quick Shine for a much better price!

https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Shine-Multi-Surface-Finish-Polish/dp/B007TSJLCE/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=future+acrylic+floor+finish&qid=1670705925&sr=8-6

Edited by redscampi

Same product , just imported to UK.

As said In an earlier post Lakeland stock it.  At about £16 on the face of it, expensive compared to the Johnson's stuff. But in the grand scheme of things much cheaper per ml  or fluid ounce than dedicated modelling clears.  Don't know who else might stock it in the UK however.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old (just over a month) thread/topic but I wanted to chime in.

Pledge Clear (Future), by what ever name(s), was officially discontinued in January 2022. Yes, if you're lucky, and willing to pay the price, you can still find some here and there, but they're costly and only going up.

Thankfully there's the Quick Shine shown above as a replacement. I've had a bottle for well over a year or several(?), and still haven't tried it, but there may be another possible replacement for the Pledge products and it's under the Bona name brand as; "Hardwood Floor Polish, High Gloss". I just read at the Bona site this morning that they also make a product that supposedly has an even more glossy shine, which is called "Hard-Surface Floor Polish". Both product pages, at the bona web site, have a list of the chemicals in them. They're similar but do have some slight differences, and both have things listed that are beyond my knowledge.

Edit: I almost completely forgot, the Bona floor polish products I mentioned above are both "Urethane Acrylic Blends" and "have no waxy buildup" according to  the manufacture...

Edit #2: When I've made multiple edits, it means a lack of sleep. Anyway, I washed a "scrap part" earlier and intend to test the Bona polish later using a brush. I'll do my best to photograph it and post the results here sometime after it's dry.

Bona.jpg.ae1e195436003618fe114bcbc2eb86b8.jpg

Edited by Lone Wolf

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for taking so long to post the results of my little "Bona Test" but it's "been one of those weeks" for me (& my many health problems).

For starters, I changed my original (simple) plan to include shooting some Krylon Flat Black, Rust Tough Enamel paint on one half of my test part (a early 90's ZR-1 Corvette hood from a no engine "parts box"). Feeling lazy (or not very good) I didn't first wet sand the somewhat rough flat black paint (but, it makes for a Great "undercoating" or "chassis paint" with it's mildly rough finish, which is all I've used it for prior to this test). I quickly discovered the Bona clear didn't want to "lay down" on the black (a little like oil and water, some major "surface tension" action happened, but not on the unfinished plastic side). So I got out some 800 wet sand paper and smoothed out the black side, then re-washed it in Dawn and warm water for a 2nd go at it. Although the results look slightly better, there was still some noticeable "surface tension" where the Bona didn't want to spread out smoothly like the white half did, and as I thought it should. Hopefully this is something that only happens with this flat enamel paint, but I really have no idea? I do know on the white, unpainted side, the Bona went on smooth as can be, and besides the dust and dirt that landed on it, it came out looking Great, IMO (especially for crudely brushing it on as I did in a hurry). As far as the "viscosity" of the Bona clear, it's somewhere between water and milk. I honestly don't know how it feels to brush paint milk on something, even though I drink/use milk daily. I guess I'm trying to say you wouldn't have to thin the Bona to airbrush it on and you'd also have to be careful to avoid spraying it too heavy to avoid runs. Since I haven't airbrushed very much, and not at all in the last several years, I never got around to opening the (pre-"Revive It") PFC (Pledge Floor Care) that I have, so I can't compare them. At the rate things have been going here, it could be a long time before I open the PFC?

FWIW: I had to "push" the Bona around with the small (average model sized) brush to get it to "lay down".

Note: In rushing to do this testing I failed to take a photo before sanding the black side.

Image #1: First Bona test (after sanding the black side, with Bona applied to both sides).

Image #2: Second test with more Bona applied to black side (only).

First Test.jpg

Last Test.jpg

Edited by Lone Wolf
Habit

Jon Bius has just posted a helpful video on his blog and YouTube channel covering Quick Shine as a replacement for Future/Pledge/etc. Worth checking out as he describes how it worked for him. Link to the video is included on his blog page.

https://www.jonbius.com/2023/02/01/a-replacement-for-pledge-here-it-is/

It's also worth browsing about on his blog and YouTube channel as he covers a lot of modeling techniques and tutorials, not just Gundam and Warhammer subjects (although his more recent posts/videos are the Gundam type stuff, so look toward the older stuff for more general modeling subjects).

Edited by flashman1957

• 2 months later...

After my initial disappointing results (on 1/2) using the Bona floor product above, I thought I should try it again, but on a more conventional paint finish. After stripping the earlier Bona & paint (in dot-3), I shot half of the hood with Testors gloss black (from an old short spray can), the other half (passenger side) with Dupli-color gloss black Acrylic enamel (which came out poor, very lumpy & not very glossy).

Since it's hard to see, I applied the Bona starting just above the upper edges of the headlight buckets and up about 1/2 the way up the hood. On the Testors side, the Bona blended in seamlessly. The other side wasn't bad, but the poor paint quality underneath wasn't hidden with the brushed on Bona. Regardless, I'm now convinced Bona is a legitimate replacement contender for the Pledge previously used by many.

20230430_142155.jpg.f59421fcc2503136669089638a0e9ab8.jpg

Edited by Lone Wolf

Running out of Future and I too have been looking for a replacement. I've used Quick Shine as a final seal coat on my last project. It brushes on even easier than Future but it appears to be a little less glossy. For me it has not worked on glass, no adhesion, so I'll keep my limited supply of Future for that.

Quick Shine Black.jpg