Model Cars Magazine Forum

Starting to get obsessed with 60s kits

It all started with the unbuilt 34 Ford kit and then getting three 40 built trucks to get period parts to use on the 34 kit,then the unbuilt 36 kit came along that is being started and then a built 36 came along that I saved.  Back in the late 60s my uncle gave me a bunch of Monogram models he build and wish I would have kept them and will try to get them all again.

Yeah, those early Monogram kits, can be quite Addicting. They fit well (most of the time) and have a Charm that the Revell kits never captured. There is a certain 'sturdiness' to them that AMT & Revell kits lack.

Good Luck on your Hunt. I have the "Red Chariot" & "Yellow Jacket" kits, and would happily get more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Yeah, those early Monogram kits, can be quite Addicting. They fit well (most of the time) and have a Charm that the Revell kits never captured. There is a certain 'sturdiness' to them that AMT & Revell kits lack.

Totally agree. I would rather build a 'Drag Strip Hot Rod' or 'Indianapolis Racer' than a new issue. Nostalgia is probably a factor I guess...

steve

2 minutes ago, Earl Marischal said:

Totally agree. I would rather build a 'Drag Strip Hot Rod' or 'Indianapolis Racer' than a new issue. Nostalgia is probably a factor I guess...

steve

You are correct. It is a huge factor for me. I built those Monogram kits in the 1970's, and at that time, they were the best fitting & easiest to build kits, of any we could get.

That is why I still like them.

• Like 1

I know exactly what you mean. I, too loved.... I mean LOVED those old Monogram kits especially the Tom Daniels Design kits. They didn’t fight with you building them. I’ve done so many of the old Monogram kits during the 70s & 80s, the list is very long. I was a huge fan of MPC kits as well.

I’ve been on the hunt for the oldies kits of my youth and I was fortunate to acquire quite a few kits (including some I wished I had) I’ve done for another go around. Who remembers the Revell Pink ‘57 Chevy Low Rider kit? LOL! Scored on that kit a few years ago from a fellow in another forum I belong to.

I found another kit I’ve been looking for for years and about to place the order on it.

Is not just the monogram kits.  I love the old annuals from AMT and MPC.  Build them from the box,  using today's detailing techniques,  and they look dang good on the shelf.   I do agree with the comments on the monogram kits.  They were the best to build and play with as a younger version of myself.  

I know I will have a bunch of money in getting what I want but I do not care,I have spent over a 120 dollars getting three Monogram 40 Ford pickups mainly to use for parts on a all period parts bash build on a unbuilt 34 kit.  The first two were too nice to rob parts from and the third one has the box and the parts I mainly want unused so I can build it with mostly all unused parts,it's hard to imagine a kit bash using all 1964ish parts that are unused in 2022.  There is no way I could have done this without a computer and would have spent a ton of money in gas running around trying to find this stuff.

Monogram had it figured out in the late Sixties and early Seventies with the Tom Daniel kits.  Molded in the main color needed for a quick shelf build...all your aunt or grandmother had to buy was the kit, plus one of those Testors paint sets with the six or seven bottles of paint.  Those sets usually had a cheap paint brush (I like those Testors brushes, don't care what anyone says!), a bottle of thinner to clean the brush, and a tube of cement.  Instant gift, sure to get built as soon as possible...

On 12/13/2022 at 11:49 AM, junkyardjeff said:

I want to find a original Black Widow,Green Hornet and Badman.

The Black Widow and Green Hornet have been available recently and with the exception of the tires now being plastic instead of rubber in the GH and newly molded rubber for the BW, they are essentially the same as the first issue.

All the parts to build the Badman are included with the just released Monogram 55 Chevy kit, with the exception of the decals. 

However, if you're looking to go the polished plastic route with any of them you'll want to seek out the older issues.

Edited by Mr. Metallic

Well I'm glad I don't seem to be the only one who loves the old Monogram kits. When they first came out in the 60's, I wasn't too interested in the older years or hot rods. I remember building the Black Widow and 58 T'bird and maybe a couple of others but was building mostly AMT, Revell, and Johan kits.

Over the last few years I've really come to appreciate these old Monogram kits and have added a few to my collection. Most of the ones I have built have the plastic polished and no paint on the bodies.

I have multiples of a lot of the Monogram reissues but have not built any of them. I guess I'm nostalgic because they really don't do anything for me even though they are the same basic kits.  I just like the look and feel of the old plastic. Most all the models I build are original issues no matter what company made them. I agree with Randy about the other old kits too and have many built and unbuilt.

I just added another NOS Blue Beetle and an NOS Futurista to my Monogram stash as well as another NOS AMT 60 Lincoln and another NOS SMP 60 Chevy pickup. I must be a little obsessed too!  Photo shows most of my original older NOS Monogram kits.  -Rich

DSC03229.JPG

• Like 2

I too love the old Monogram kits, along with the AMT Trophy Series. I have multiples of nearly all of them, some restorable built ups, some unbuilt in box and a ton of parts. The only one I need is an unbuilt, in box original '40 Ford pickup. I will pay up when the right one presents itself! 

A mockup of a one of the old stock Monogram '36 Fords I've been working on. The paint is Humbrol Midnight Blue, though it could use some more polishing, and maybe another coat.  BMF trim rings brightened up the wheels.  Personally, I think it looks more like a '36 than the AMT version.

36Ford1.jpg.f7a9263370bcdfe7b886bdf86c8550ec.jpg

Edited by Richard Bartrop

2 hours ago, rsmodels said:

Well I'm glad I don't seem to be the only one who loves the old Monogram kits. When they first came out in the 60's, I wasn't too interested in the older years or hot rods. I remember building the Black Widow and 58 T'bird and maybe a couple of others but was building mostly AMT, Revell, and Johan kits.

Over the last few years I've really come to appreciate these old Monogram kits and have added a few to my collection. Most of the ones I have built have the plastic polished and no paint on the bodies.

I have multiples of a lot of the Monogram reissues but have not built any of them. I guess I'm nostalgic because they really don't do anything for me even though they are the same basic kits.  I just like the look and feel of the old plastic. Most all the models I build are original issues no matter what company made them. I agree with Randy about the other old kits too and have many built and unbuilt.

I just added another NOS Blue Beetle and an NOS Futurista to my Monogram stash as well as another NOS AMT 60 Lincoln and another NOS SMP 60 Chevy pickup. I must be a little obsessed too!  Photo shows most of my original older NOS Monogram kits.  -Rich

DSC03229.JPG

Nice collection! I too enjoy building the older kits. I wish the Model A Cabriolet would get reissued. It's actually a '31 they have labeled as a '30. The slant windshield Cabriolet didn't come out until June of 1931.

11 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

A mockup of a one of the old stock Monogram '36 Fords I've been working on. The paint is Humbrol Midnight Blue, though it could use some more polishing, and maybe another coat.  BMF trim rings brightened up the wheels.  Personally, I think it looks more like a '36 than the AMT version.

36Ford1.jpg.f7a9263370bcdfe7b886bdf86c8550ec.jpg

Love your 36. I'm still looking for one.

26 minutes ago, larman said:

I too love the old Monogram kits, along with the AMT Trophy Series. I have multiples of nearly all of them, some restorable built ups, some unbuilt in box and a ton of parts. The only one I need is an unbuilt, in box original '40 Ford pickup. I will pay up when the right one presents itself! 

Same here with the AMT trophy series kits.

12 minutes ago, RSchnell said:

Nice collection! I too enjoy building the older kits. I wish the Model A Cabriolet would get reissued. It's actually a '31 they have labeled as a '30. The slant windshield Cabriolet didn't come out until June of 1931.

Thanks, I didn't realize the kits were 31's. The Special Interest  Series Cabriolets come up for decent prices if you keep watch.