Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes 300SL Gullwing

Rich Chernosky

I had this kit almost 75% complete about 6 months ago but quit when I decided to fabricate the door struts.  Dug this kit out again and decided that the kit struts were more than adequate, so I  finished it. Turns out this kit was an absolute joy to build. Tamiya left very little out on this one. Of particular note was the fit of the doors.  I have a few other Gullwings and this is always a huge problem.  The chassis and engi9ne are also very nice. Tamiya provide a clear belly pan so you could see this and I fastened mine on with jewelers screws so it could be removed but probably never will. Color on this is Tamiya TS7 Racing White which is slightly off white. Interior is Tamiya XF7 flat red with and umber wash over it. some extras include carpet and engine wiring and some extra hoses. More details under the pictures. Thanks for looking and comments welcome. 

486268646_DSC07908(1).JPG.e6b72453336fa4e568f2471b15b70c87.JPG

Finished model. Tamiya included some center lock wheels with knock offs but I liked the stock ones better.

706724250_DSC07910(1).JPG.126c9a63cb3cf1bd61ce201ce304533a.JPG

Rear view shows all the nice detail on this kit. I chose the Euro style bumpers that don. have the largish bumperettes on them. Looks sleeker this way. 

DSC07926.JPG.a8e12e76777ef90fabf98bda7109baa2.JPG

The famous gullwing door in the open position

DSC07928.JPG.54627f9380506267df6ebc6d46df2b32.JPG

Best shot I could get of the interior which was exceptionally well detailed. Note the chrome emblem which was included...a nice touch.

1992001332_DSC07917(1).JPG.e32e004be11885495633628da9dd7ea4.JPG

engine compartment was very well detailed and little had to be added.  The hood brace to keep it open was also in the kit.

DSC07933.JPG.46d2eb5ab875637f810a5955e56f138a.JPG

Another view with the door open. Everything on this kit fit like a glove and it was a joy to do. On a side note, one of my neighbors ran crashed into the side of my building right where the electrical box and cable were.  The majority of the final construction was done by flashlight as I was without power for 8 days. That's dedication.

• Like 6

That's a good kit and a nice looking build. Thanks for answering a question I had regarding the Tamiya racing white being an off white, what I'm looking for. Incidentally, there's a guy on YouTube,  his channel is A4 I believe, he built this kit and his stuff worth checking out.

Beautiful build!

God forbid I criticize a stupendous effort by Tamiya, but they could've made more of an effort with the fuel injection system, and an obvious mistake - they forgot the radio. There's speakers on the door sills, but no radio hanging from the center of the dash like on the real car. 

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

Beautiful. Does the kit have opening doors or did you add them? 

The doors opened in the kit and all the hardware was included.  Thanks

1 hour ago, SpikeSchumacher said:

Nicely done Rich! I have one of these in the queue waiting to be built.  

doooo it...you will enjoy every minute of it.   Thanks

1 hour ago, Jim B said:

Great looking Mercedes.  Really well done.

Thank you very much !

40 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

That turned out beautifully Rich!👍

Thanks for the thumbs up...appreciate it. 

29 minutes ago, jdcar32 said:

That's a good kit and a nice looking build. Thanks for answering a question I had regarding the Tamiya racing white being an off white, what I'm looking for. Incidentally, there's a guy on YouTube,  his channel is A4 I believe, he built this kit and his stuff worth checking out.

Thank you for the compliments...I will check it out. 

26 minutes ago, Phildaupho said:

Very well built. Beautiful.

As always...thank you Phil.

16 minutes ago, BVC500 said:

Beautiful build!

God forbid I criticize a stupendous effort by Tamiya, but they could've made more of an effort with the fuel injection system, and an obvious mistake - they forgot the radio. There's speakers on the door sills, but no radio hanging from the center of the dash like on the real car. 

Bernard...the fuel injection system would have been hidden well under the engine which is slanted 45 deg so it wouldn't really be seen and that may have been Tamiya's thinking.  I have a radio in my stash somewhere and still could add it. Didn't know about it so thank you for mentioning it.  I have an aquaintance who owns one of these and he let me take many detailed pictures. Even got to sit in it.  I used them on this build but don't recall seeing a radio in his.  This car won the Concours De' Elegance at Amelia Island so it was quite the thrill to have a lot of it explained to me.  I will have to check my pics. 

43 minutes ago, jdcar32 said:

Thanks for answering a question I had regarding the Tamiya racing white being an off white, what I'm looking for.

Not to derail the thread, but the Racing White is a "warm" white that can stand in for 1960s Ford Wimbledon White nicely. Not a Kitchen Appliance White at all.

Build looks amazing and it is nice to see one that isn't silver/grey.

2 hours ago, jdcar32 said:

If you’re talking about A4 Garage on YouTube, he builds some absolutely fantastic models. Check out also Kenji’s Plastic Models on YT. 

Rich, that’s a great job on your Mercedes! This is a kit that has landed on my radar to build.

Rich - A world renowned 300 SL restorer lives locally so I have seen many Gullwings. I did not check all my photos but here is an interior shot of a car I saw while walking my dog. I do not think I have ever seen a white interior in a Gullwing before and notice the cup holders. Do not see a radio though!!IMG_0479.thumb.JPG.072f55f948e359a73d58adfbcd6294d7.JPG walking my dog. 

That's a beautiful build Rich. The white red combo is a perfect fit for it. I've had this kit for some time now and seeing yours it makes me want to move it up the pipe line. I open the box from time to time and marvel at what Tamiya did with it. You did this kit great justice with your usual great building skills. 😉

19 hours ago, Bainford said:

Gorgeous Mercedes, Rich. Just lovely. You did a great job on this model. I have a couple of these in the stash, and I’m eager for it’s turn on the bench. Your comments on the kit make me want to get at it all the more. 

Thank you Trevor....I am glad to be of inspiration to you

19 hours ago, 70 Sting said:

Simply beautiful.👌

Thanks Harry

18 hours ago, Street Rod said:

If you’re talking about A4 Garage on YouTube, he builds some absolutely fantastic models. Check out also Kenji’s Plastic Models on YT. 

Rich, that’s a great job on your Mercedes! This is a kit that has landed on my radar to build.

Thanks fro the compliment...you won't be sorry you picked this kit. 

9 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Very nice!

Thanks

5 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Well done.

Thank you

4 hours ago, Gluebomber said:

Really nice work, Rich.  I love the color combination and your choice of the stock wheels and hubcaps.  You did a great job painting those to preserve the star and chrome ring.  Detail like that really make the difference.

Thank you Larry, I did paint the center of the  hubcaps to match the body but have to admit the center circle and Mercedes star are decal.

4 hours ago, spencer1984 said:

Beautiful job on this!

Thanks Bill

2 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

That's a beautiful build Rich. The white red combo is a perfect fit for it. I've had this kit for some time now and seeing yours it makes me want to move it up the pipe line. I open the box from time to time and marvel at what Tamiya did with it. You did this kit great justice with your usual great building skills. 😉

High praise indeed Mario.   Build the chassis first. Its pretty much glue and go and is the correct color.  This will give you the incentive to dig into the engine and other details. I have build notes if you ever need them. 

4 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

Rich - A world renowned 300 SL restorer lives locally so I have seen many Gullwings. I did not check all my photos but here is an interior shot of a car I saw while walking my dog. I do not think I have ever seen a white interior in a Gullwing before and notice the cup holders. Do not see a radio though!!IMG_0479.thumb.JPG.072f55f948e359a73d58adfbcd6294d7.JPG walking my dog. 

Phil...thank you so much for the pictures.  My friends car did not have a radio either. The cup holders are probably a personal thing for the owner. That sort of thiong didn't exist in the mid 50's.  That white interior is simply stunning and a great picture. Engine detail is great too.  Tamiya got the door hinges spot on but in retrospect I should have made those door struts operational.  I didn't have a shot like this to go by. Thanks again for doing this,  it really adds to the post.  

Rich, this is an excellent model - makes we want to attack mine as soon as possible (but with about 250 kits in my stash?) I especially like your "special service" for us in writing some explanations/descriptions under your photos - very much appreciated!

I immediately took my kit out and checked the parts trees - I DID find sperate hubcaps, but centerlocks seem not to be included here - am I correct or did I simply oversee them?

I would like to build mine with Rudge/centerlock wheels like the one I saw in Padova/Italy in 2014: black with a cream leather interior (almost like your body color):

P1160846.JPG.af900ee791b1ade1c9fb6b7a61edced5.JPG   P1160845.JPG.4bccf7b0b2dd6fb7ab4c582b7791d838.JPG

Edited by 1959scudetto

16 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking build. The paint finishes and the clean trim detailing all look very realistic. Since this is a 1:1 car I have coveted since I first saw one, I should find one of these kits also. 

Thanks David..they are out there..of all the 300Sl kits I have built...several of them in different scales..The Tamiya kit is the best.

15 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Rich, this is an excellent model - makes we want to attack mine as soon as possible (but with about 250 kits in my stash?) I especially like your "special service" for us in writing some explanations/descriptions under your photos - very much appreciated!

I immediately took my kit out and checked the parts trees - I DID find sperate hubcaps, but centerlocks seem not to be included here - am I correct or did I simply oversee them?

I would like to build mine with Rudge/centerlock wheels like the one I saw in Padova/Italy in 2014: black with a cream leather interior (almost like your body

color):

Helmut...that is simply stunning in black, thanks for posting the pictures.  There is a possibility that those wheels i have didn't come with the kit.  I am not using them so if you want them they are yours.  PM me and we can makes arrangements,

P1160846.JPG.af900ee791b1ade1c9fb6b7a61edced5.JPG   P1160845.JPG.4bccf7b0b2dd6fb7ab4c582b7791d838.JPG

• Thanks 1