Model Cars Magazine Forum

K.S. Pittman 41 Willys

bogger44

Just finished this up earlier today, build #2 for the year.  These Willys kits are such a pleasure to build, with only the rear suspension assembly being mildly trying.  My biggest gripe is the terribly deep gate marks on the slicks, I sanded them down quite a bit but didn't want to go any further in fear of ruining them.  Box stock with plug wires.  Color is Duplicolor Chevy Engine Orange-Red.  Thanks for taking a gander and any comments/questions.

2v2ebuUg3xAKN8F.jpg

2v2ebuUrvxAKN8F.jpg

2v2ebuUN3xAKN8F.jpg

2v2ebuUjUxAKN8F.jpg

2v2ebu9UvxAKN8F.jpg

2v2ebu92oxAKN8F.jpg

2v2ebu99UxAKN8F.jpg

2v2ebuUzMxAKN8F.jpg

2v2ebu9ozxAKN8F.jpg

• Like 8

This is among the best of the ‘41 Willys gasser builds I’ve seen on here. Paint, decals, BMF trim, every aspect so well done. I would love to steal this one from you and add it to my 60’s drag cars! Bravo Tony!

Question on the wheels and other kit chromed parts: how did you tone the chrome down? Did you strip and metallize them? Spray them with Dullcote? Spray them with Tamiya Smoke? I’d like to use whatever method you used on this one the next time I use kit-supplied chrome parts, the wheels look so real. 

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it!

On 2/19/2023 at 4:07 PM, papajohn97 said:

This is among the best of the ‘41 Willys gasser builds I’ve seen on here. Paint, decals, BMF trim, every aspect so well done. I would love to steal this one from you and add it to my 60’s drag cars! Bravo Tony!

Question on the wheels and other kit chromed parts: how did you tone the chrome down? Did you strip and metallize them? Spray them with Dullcote? Spray them with Tamiya Smoke? I’d like to use whatever method you used on this one the next time I use kit-supplied chrome parts, the wheels look so real. 

Thanks John, sorry not going to part with it LOL!   I used Tamiya Smoke on the chrome, 2 coats on both the wheels and valve covers.  I had sprayed them separately, early on in the build, from the other chrome parts and for some goofy reason had forgot to spray the headlight bezels later on lol.  Not a big deal for me though.

• Thanks 1