Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Boss 429 Mustang

ModelcarJR

I started this one a couple of weeks ago when I wanted to paint something quickly due to weather that was coming in.  I thought I could use Camel Yellow to come close to or substitute for Grabber Orange. I used Tamiya white primer and then the color. Unfortunately, it was light on the edges and panel lines like I hadn't used a primer. So it went back in the box and I moved on to something else. 

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFz-bebfuk8Yw2NVH4pOdc0dKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1677534821

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwGQ6UgHCrVzQb8f1yeB3u_VZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1677534821

Then I remembered that I had another one of these kits that was incomplete as it was missing the chrome taillight/bumper piece. I got it out So and found the body and body related parts and I'm back in business without have to remove the paint on the previously painted body. So the only colors for this Boss Mustang were Grabber Orange, Green or Blue and Calypso Coral, and Pastel Blue (almost white). I have none of those colors so I went with a color I have that is a cousin to Grabber Green -Tamiya Light Green Pearl. It washed out a little in these photos but I like the color and the paint went on well. So here I go!  Thanks for looking! 

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwuWWg6eToTmW-GoVHWf7sbaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1677534824

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwat-xjcez8Ig_kxlo94eTCUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1677534825

• Like 3

Unless Revell has fixed the mold, which I doubt, you'll find that the passenger side quarter panel extension doesn't come to the same pronounced (and correct) point right above the end of the bumper as the driver's side does, and could use a little extra plastic and reshaping. 

Thanks, Dennis! They must have fixed the mold because I see no difference between the right and left sides at the rear and the taillight panel fits fine without glue and stays in place. 

I rubbed out the body and it looks pretty good. Here are a couple of photos with the overhead mag light off to display the color better. Thanks for looking! 

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzdDReA6LrHefo3BDrQutXg4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1677593440

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFy20_UmC3gUBGtekg4tYqCb4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1677593440

• Like 6

Thanks, Joe, David, Jeremy, and Greg! I appreciate your comments! 

I've been working on a 55 Chevy to get it painted so I'll have something in the pipeline. I did manage to get the engine bay painted black and have started now on the foil. So now I'm back on this one. Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzk6B5xPjUft_5uH3xeMdKirnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1677719679

• Like 3

Off to a flying start, John, love the color choice. I've got the Revell '69 Boss 302 in rotation currently but I like the styling of the '70 nose way more. I'm following👍

Edited by customline
Corrected false memory ....oops!

Thanks, Ron and Jim! I appreciate your comments! 

Finished foiling the body and finished the interior. I added gauge decals but they are hard to see. Painted the wood areas and added chrome pen details. No foil in the interior as there is no chrome trim. One photo with the interior mocked up in the body for fit since I had to use a clamp to hold the dash in place. Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzUOQyyISERldaK1BwVbzSO4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=167780344700-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzJfYhaUmXXP52fpYLRRZE8aAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1677803447

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxFm469P6BljDdpBsl5vPiZV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1677803451

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzjEQUZ6suwHPvbC45feC_t5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1677803454

• Like 1

I like a clean, business-like black vinyl interior, especially when there's a Hurst shifter with that finger-groove t-handle that says "HURST"  cast into it in deep relief. 👌. The foiling looks great. You move fast, huh? Lovin' it!

Thanks, Jim! I appreciate your comment! 

Finished the engine. Added plug wires and scratched a coil as the one that was molded onto the head seemed out of scale. Chassis seems to be pretty simple so I should be onto final assembly soon. Thanks for looking! 

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwgKL8d8ItCwIJqe6c6oNNPUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1677899792

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFyHr1sN-g6l7uIkIxUVuwPHrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1677899792

• Like 2

Thanks, Jim and Bob! I appreciate your comments! 

There were some bigger wheels in this kit and I didn't want to use the keystones, as its tedious painting the black in between the spokes. But the wheel backs in this kit were solid chrome (see below). I guess you would have to paint the face of the wheelback black over the chrome. So I didn't like that and found some spoked wheelbacks and a set of tires in the wheel and tire parts box. The tires in this kit were also missing. So I got a set of wheels together.

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwJHl8o45HitTrsEdBFG7-urnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1677985007

Engine went into the chassis, chassis is complete, windows and interior in the body, and body onto the frame. And now its on wheels! 17" on the front and 19" or 20" on the back! Its all over but the detailing! Thanks for looking! 

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFx5nQLp5JGpUbaGDQkjmq9L4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1677985007

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFw44U4CXObjj5OoCWzmgRRN4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1677985011

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFz70JZyZDaWVFEW_BZ3t9BV4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1677985012

• Like 2

Those wheels look good too, but I'm a fool for Keystones. I have a set on the bench that need detailing. I like to use plain ol' Testor's Flat Black enamel, thinned slightly and wait till it's dry. Then I use their enamel reducer (airbrush thinner) on a pointed craft swab, dabbed to just damp, to clean up the over-slop. (Of course,..... I need magnification to do this 😳.)

I totally love that body style; best looking Mustang ever! 😍 

Thanks, Jim! I appreciate your comment! I always do mine with an acrylic black so that I can clean up as I go. I also buy it in the big 16 oz. bottle so I can just refill my small bottle. 

Finished the engine bay except for the fan decal. Then I stopped to get another body painted (see below). Anyway, I almost missed the water bottle in the left corner as it is not to scale it seems to me. The coil mounted on the head was also out of scale so I replaced it. Everything went together fine so here it is:

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxIl-IZYSNeky3FK6ZFxqDNUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1678065269

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFz9aq03DI_geRdxLhLI7bRT4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1678065269

I'm trying new primers since Brite Touch is gone and I tried Rustoleum American Accents.  Its too dark it seems to me. I thought since I already have this 75 Nissan truck painted with it I would just go ahead and clear it and call it the new car colors that are coming out in dreadful drab colors. Here it is:

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFw9amyL-ha5RO3_lsNkx8OqrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1678065273

13 minutes ago, ModelcarJR said:

Thanks, Jim! I appreciate your comment! I always do mine with an acrylic black so that I can clean up as I go. I also buy it in the big 16 oz. bottle so I can just refill my small bottle. 

Finished the engine bay except for the fan decal. Then I stopped to get another body painted (see below). Anyway, I almost missed the water bottle in the left corner as it is not to scale it seems to me. The coil mounted on the head was also out of scale so I replaced it. Everything went together fine so here it is:

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxIl-IZYSNeky3FK6ZFxqDNUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1678065269

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFz9aq03DI_geRdxLhLI7bRT4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1678065269

I'm trying new primers since Brite Touch is gone and I tried Rustoleum American Accents.  Its too dark it seems to me. I thought since I already have this 75 Nissan truck painted with it I would just go ahead and clear it and call it the new car colors that are coming out in dreadful drab colors. Here it is:

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFw9amyL-ha5RO3_lsNkx8OqrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1678065273 

"Dreadful Drab Colors"....I dunno man, I kinda like 'em 😏. It's a trend, for sure. The small SUVs look good that way but I wouldn't  want a new 'Vette in pea soup green. 😣

'Stang's looking hot. Let's get a battery in 'er. I wanna hear that thing rumble!

Thanks, Jim! I appreciate your comment!  I have a 2015 Dodge Challenger. One of the reasons I bought it was the beautiful B5 Blue Pearl paint.  Still looks good today and its eight years old. Every time I see a newer Challenger in battleship gray I get a little nauseous. 

The Mustang's battery is in the trunk.  And the body style, paint color and wheels sorta makes it look like Mustangs of today. This one will be done soon! 

Yup, saw a Charger the other day in that gray...looked like an unmarked Rhode Island State Police cruiser ☺️.  I like your color choice. I used a similar color on a '40 coupe. It's called Ice Blue Pearl by Boyd's. It's sorta greenish, very subtle, subdued. The sparkle is very fine, not like a metallic. Testor' made some really good paint back when. Don't know I can say that about now. 🙁