Model Cars Magazine Forum

$35.99 AMT 1967 442 plus shipping

A little hop on Scalemates shows that the last time this kit was available was in a Round 2 "The Lindberg Line" box released in 2016. So that's seven years since the last time it was available. 

Yes, a knowledgeable builder who's particularly active in the community could feasibly go to a local show or troll through eBay and pick up this kit for between $15-$25 in one of the prior boxings. However, the casual Hobby Lobby or even LHS shopping builder quite likely isn't aware this kit was produced or is available in those channels. Personally, I can confirm that quite a large number particularly of my younger builders aren't even aware of model shows and swap meets until they see flyers on my counter. 

As to the MSRP, well, I have mixed at best feelings at the new normal of American domestic kit pricing. At the moment, I have portions of Tamiya, Hasegawa, and Fujimi's catalog that genuinely undercut Round 2. I have no doubt that a good part of why I'm burning through my shipment of Fujimi Chevy Astros is that I'm able to sticker it on my shelf for $28. However, I also understand that Tamiya has more gross sales potential for their venerable VW Beetle than Round 2 has for a 60's Oldsmobile and that as US classic cars become increasingly niche subject matter that will also result in higher prices. 

While I assume I'm in the minority, there are still those of us that don't shop online. Knowing I can get something cheaper online, I would still pay more to buy it off the shelf. Call me old fashioned, but it helps to keep my LHS open and they will order things for me in their regular shipment so no shipping charges. 

• Thanks 1

For that price, let's hope that they've stepped up their QC game.  The last Lindberg reissue was prone to severe sink marks on the ends of the bumpers.  The first one I purchased from HL actually had a hole entirely through one of the bumper ends.

17 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

While I assume I'm in the minority, there are still those of us that don't shop online. Knowing I can get something cheaper online, I would still pay more to buy it off the shelf. Call me old fashioned, but it helps to keep my LHS open and they will order things for me in their regular shipment so no shipping charges. 

This

• Like 1

Just now, Chuck Kourouklis said:

All I can think of is how much better the truly AMT '66 442 was than this one.

I am surprised they haven't given the '66 the Retro Deluxe treatment yet...been quite a while since the '66 ht or convertible have been reissued. 

• Like 2

Being Canadian I could only dream of picking up a kit for only $35 as that would be dirt cheap. 

image.png.a8ba1f9ac9933b4bdb5eca7817ec23a6.png

This is pretty average for a rereleased kit. New ones go up from there. 

And before anybody says "Well in US $$s that is only..." I do not get paid in US dollars so any reduction in the cost would also have to be applied to my income making the reduction a wash. $60 here is $60.

I also will frequent stores instead of online whenever humanly possible but there are not many left around here.

1 hour ago, Tcoat said:

Being Canadian I could only dream of picking up a kit for only $35 as that would be dirt cheap. 

image.png.a8ba1f9ac9933b4bdb5eca7817ec23a6.png

This is pretty average for a rereleased kit. New ones go up from there. 

And before anybody says "Well in US $$s that is only..." I do not get paid in US dollars so any reduction in the cost would also have to be applied to my income making the reduction a wash. $60 here is $60.

I also will frequent stores instead of online whenever humanly possible but there are not many left around here.

That's ridiculous. You need to find a new hobby shop 'cause your getting jipped.

My local shop here in Fredericton has it listed at $49.75 cdn.

On 3/6/2023 at 11:51 PM, Tabbysdaddy said:

While I used to think that way, now that I no longer have a LHS I am forced to shop online. The closest hobby shop to me is 45 miles away and it being a HobbyTownUSA that caters to the R/C crowd, I am better off buying online if I want something not at Hobby Lobby.

At my place on the east coast of FL there are zero LHS within a 50 mile radius. There is a small LHS on the west coast of FL that I frequent, and his prices are quite good, cheaper than Hobby Lobby even with their 40% off. I recently had him order some Airfix kits for me, and he treated me right on those too.  I buy from him as much as possible. 

I've said it before on this forum, I can't justify paying $30+ for a kit that's been out for years & reissued numerous times when I can go to a swap meet/model show and find the same kit for $10-15. 

About the only thing I order online are aircraft & space kits, I do most of my buying at shows & swaps.

Most Round 2 & Revell USA. new releases are hitting our shelves at approx $65 Aus. With the ridiculous increase in worldwide shipping since Covid 19, I guess the price had to go up.

I always try to buy several kits together when the online hobbyshops have a sale. No LHS in my area.

On 3/4/2023 at 11:19 AM, Mike 1017 said:

Maybe the kits that I do have will bring big $ when I decide to sell off my collection.

Your retail $30 kit loses almost half its value when you walk out the door. It would be a lot of years before you would get $30+  for that kit second-hand resale.

Edited by Lunajammer

On 3/7/2023 at 12:59 PM, Can-Con said:

That's ridiculous. You need to find a new hobby shop 'cause your getting jipped.

You're funny...

I've been watching LHSs close since 1992. We just lost another one last month locally (34 miles away).

I'm down to one here locally and three further afield over water (65 to 75 miles away). Typical kit prices are $41 to 59 Cdn. ($46 - 66 with sales tax)

The best I can do, money-wise, is at Michaels with their coupon discount is $35 Cdn. per kit ($39.20 with sales tax), but their selection is  e x t r e m e l y  limited.

Otherwise, if there's a kit or part that I  m u s t  have, it's on-line I go to pay a killer Shipping charge...😖

Edited by blizzy63

1 hour ago, Lunajammer said:

Your retail $30 kit loses almost half its value when you walk out the door. It would be a lot of years before you would get $30+  for that kit second-hand resale.

When it is time to hang up the glue and paint. I would go to an auction house and sell it as one lot. Also the Post War Lionel stuff, slotcars and Elvis Trading Cards.

3 hours ago, blizzy63 said:

You're funny...

I've been watching LHSs close since 1992. We just lost another one last month locally (34 miles away).

I'm down to one here locally and three further afield over water (65 to 75 miles away). Typical kit prices are $41 to 59 Cdn. ($46 - 66 with sales tax)

The best I can do, money-wise, is at Michaels with their coupon discount is $35 Cdn. per kit ($39.20 with sales tax), but their selection is  e x t r e m e l y  limited.

Otherwise, if there's a kit or part that I  m u s t  have, it's on-line I go to pay a killer Shipping charge...😖

It's still ridiculous and you're still getting jipped. 

You wanna talk about no hobby shops in the area? My local one is the only one in the whole province. 

Yea, I know what it's like. Not like it was back when we were kids. I lived in Courtney in the '70s, right on the Puntledge River, Anderton Ave. to be exact. There's a small park now where the house was. 

I remember hitting all the shops that sold models on Saturday mornings with my cousins.  It would take us all morning as there was at least a half dozen places to buy car models then and 5 bucks would get you a kit and 2 or 4 bottles of Testors or Pactra paint.

But, that was then and this is now. Car model building is a dying hobby compared to back then. 

So, what are the other half dozen or so [at least] other builders from the Cowitchan Valley on this forum doing for kits?