Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Ala Kart...

Mothersworry

Built from a mint, sealed (with white tape) original kit with first issue decals. Built lotsa years ago using Testors paints with a pearl mixed clear coat. This model wuz pictured in Tim Boyd's book "Collecting Model Car and Truck Kits". Old decals were lotsa fun to get to lay down.

20230328_151700.jpg

20230328_151709.jpg

20230328_151721.jpg

20230328_151740.jpg

20230328_151750.jpg

20230328_151800.jpg

20230328_151817.jpg

20230328_151828.jpg

20230328_151942.jpg

20230328_152013.jpg

20230328_151856.jpg

Edited by Mothersworry
  • Like 12

Such a beauty! It's so interesting that one can look at a 1:1 custom car build and approximate the period in which it was built by the techniques, paints, design cues, etc. from that period.  And here, we can see the same thing in a scale model as well. Thank you for posting! 

Wow, that is very inspirational for me right now!  I have just completed a build of the new tool Ala Kart and now have all the pieces laid out to do the old tool issue, like yours.  You have some beautifully clean building techniques there, that's for sure.  May I ask how you created the piping on the black pleats - it looks perfect!

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, alan barton said:

Wow, that is very inspirational for me right now!  I have just completed a build of the new tool Ala Kart and now have all the pieces laid out to do the old tool issue, like yours.  You have some beautifully clean building techniques there, that's for sure.  May I ask how you created the piping on the black pleats - it looks perfect!

Cheers

Alan

Thank you fer yer comments. I built this some time ago but as I recall I used Fred Cady Ala Kart decals to create the black pleated areas, these decals have clear areas between each black "pleat". I first applied Bare metal Foil to the "molded in" pleats on the roof, running boards, and bed cover then applied the decals over the Bare Metal Foil. This gives the effect of having chrome piping on the "upholstered" areas of the body. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 10:20 AM, Mothersworry said:

Thank you fer yer comments. I built this some time ago but as I recall I used Fred Cady Ala Kart decals to create the black pleated areas, these decals have clear areas between each black "pleat". I first applied Bare metal Foil to the "molded in" pleats on the roof, running boards, and bed cover then applied the decals over the Bare Metal Foil. This gives the effect of having chrome piping on the "upholstered" areas of the body. 

Thanks for the very helpful information - I have a set of Fred Cady decals for the Ala Kart but didn't realise that's how they worked. Will definitely be trying that!

Cheers

Alan

• 2 months later...