Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1970 Corvette LT-1

mustang1989

On 12/9/2023 at 2:12 PM, slusher said:

Looks great Joe, always clean work and very detailed …

Thank you good buddy Carl! 

On 12/9/2023 at 5:17 PM, atomicholiday said:

You know I’m digging this one!  Great work as always buddy!👍

'Preciate it Jeremy!! 

On 12/9/2023 at 10:03 PM, 70 Sting said:

You’re starting to get the hang of this model building stuff, Joe.  ;^)

LOL!! One day I hope to be half decent at it. Thanks `bud.

On 12/9/2023 at 10:51 PM, Bainford said:

Super clean work as usual, Joe. This is looking really good. 

Thank you Trevor. Good to have you along.

On 12/10/2023 at 10:24 AM, Steve H said:

Yes sir! As Trevor said above ^^ your usual clean crisp building techniques. I still need to revisit a few of your builds to learn more about how you capture the subtle shades of black. I’ve mentioned it before, but it really makes a huge difference in the overall look of a finished model. Well done!

Cheers, Steve

Thanks Steve. Actually, I need to revisit a few of YOUR builds as I've got some catching up to do around here. lol 

On 12/10/2023 at 10:28 AM, NOBLNG said:

You did a fine job of detailing the engine bay Joe!👍

Thanks for the "good word" Greg! 

On 12/10/2023 at 1:07 PM, Monty said:

Love to watch as this progresses.  Being a huge C3 fan (and former owner) I’m taking notes too.  Oh, just in case it might affect any further detailing, the item with the restraining straps is the spare tire carrier.  For once, Fortune smiled on me and I never had to use it.

Sounds like you were able to burnish the black BMF down without it flaking?  Good to hear.  I’m not sure I’d be that lucky.

LOL!! Thanks Monty. Later on I found out that what you're referencing was the spare tire carrier. I can't imagine having to get a spare tire out of that thing. 

On 12/11/2023 at 4:27 AM, dragcarz said:

Hey Joe, I’m finally getting to visit here again, just beautiful as expected! How’s your wife doing now? 

Thanks Roger!! Great to see you man. So far so good with my wife. It'll be 8 years since the aneurysm this upcoming February. Hard to believe that it's been that long already. 

On 12/11/2023 at 5:33 AM, Zippi said:

Starting  to come together Joe.  I'm liking it. 

'Preciate it Bob! 

On 12/11/2023 at 7:12 AM, David G. said:

Dang Joe, that looks like a real motor!

Exceptional work!

David G.

Thank you Dave and thanks for tagging along buddy.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright fellas, 

I managed to get the body painted a few weeks ago and BMF applied.....

image.png.8223d377bac378edc74b266cead4b100.png

and just this past Friday, managed to get the body glossed. I still have to wet sand polish everything out but this is where that part is as of now...

uc8ysJ.jpg

J5gBko.jpg

Then I turned my attention to the wheels and tires.....man......the wheels and tires spacer.png

To address the wheel and tire issues there's some work that has to be done. 

This is what the assembly looks like with no modifications using the chrome rallye wheels. OOB assembly on the left and modified parts on the right,

image.png.a74ff9ca47e210a3effe19b97947fd81.png

The wheel backs don't play nice either and cause the wheel and tire to stick outside of the wheel opening a good 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch.

image.png.6ed25b358ef0fec659d7857bd64e9463.png

This is how much has to be taken off of the wheel backs AND the wheel to make everything look right. Unmodified parts on the left and the corrected ones on the right.

image.png.008c07abd804816cc6453d6e5900ed47.png

Corrected assemblies now ready for tread scuffing, BF Goodrich Radial T/A lettering decals and wheel painting and detailing.....

image.png.7dc076cfe181f71f941846c53d55b67d.png

• Like 6

On 1/5/2024 at 5:03 PM, Moparman18064 said:

I can’t get over how awesome this build is.

Thanks Rich. It's been a labor of love I can tell ya that!

On 1/5/2024 at 10:21 PM, Rattlecan Dan said:

Paint looks gorgeous! Like the way you worked the tire problem out, look good.

'Preciate it Dan. Stance and wheel position relative to the wheel openings seems to be a constant battle that is ongoing but with a little patience it usually works out. 

On 1/6/2024 at 12:27 AM, slusher said:

Beautiful shade of blue Joe!

Carl, thanks brother. Always good to have you along buddy. 

On 1/6/2024 at 5:48 AM, David G. said:

That's a great color for a Corvette Joe, and the paint looks beautiful.

I can't wait to see how the wheels turn out.

David G.

Thank you Dave. Great to have you along as well. 

On 1/6/2024 at 8:55 AM, ModelcarJR said:

The body looks great, Joe!  Doesn't look like you need much rubbing on that one! Wheels look good, too! you would think they could get better fit than that out of the box. Geez! 😎👍

JR!! Thank you for the kudos bro. I always get a kick out of your paint and BMF work. 

On 1/6/2024 at 1:24 PM, kelson said:

I love the color blue that you chose,the 70's had some nice colors to choose from.

Thanks Kelson and yes they sure did have some pretty snazzy colors to choose from back then. 

I keep on inching closer and closer to the finish line with this build folks. For the past few weeks, I've been looking for a ratchet & socket set to go along with that open battery compartment door in the interior. I just knew I had one in my parts stash somewhere and ended up finding it just a few days ago. A little clean up and then drilling the sockets out to add to the realism. For good measure there'll also be a combination wrench laying in the lid as well to add interest. Painting and detailing it all up will bring the ideas to life. I've also been working on the "red rag" idea that's been rolling around in my head. I made it have a natural "lay" next to the socket set in the interior, but you get the idea. 

Starting point:

image.png.2cebee6eb6e8c502a6eee2e5310c697f.png

This is an important step for me because NOW I can move forward with assembling the body over the chassis. Here's the shot of that:

Outcome:

image.png.f4cf1c1cc2b8ef69212fce68c7f75780.png

Wheels and tires are finished and I've got everything test fitted on the chassis as a sort of dry run I guess:

image.png.ac3ab0fc8742caef3522b4f46a433a8f.png

• Like 6

20 hours ago, slusher said:

The socket set looks reel Joe!  Where did you source it brother?

That's a good question Carl but I think it came from the Estes Garage set. Found it in my spares and this particular one didn't come from the Fujimi Garage Set so it must've come from Estes.

16 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Man I'm lovin' this one Joe and oh yeah, great body color choice!!

Thanks brother. Good to see you Mike. 

14 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Body looks great and the details are fantastic!

I appreciate the comments Craig!

13 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I am just now starting 3 C3 builds. (69, 70 and 75) I have 2 of my colors chosen. I have been going round and round on the 3rd. After seeing yours, I am liking the blue. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Bill. I fell in love with this color immediately after seeing the reference shots of a Vette in it. 

9 hours ago, Duddly01 said:

Coming along really nicely. Love the blue you chose. Great paintwork!

Thanks for the good word Donald! 

I'm coming to the final stages of this build and grabbed for the inside and outside rearview mirrors to start working on them. Why.....oh why do modeling manufacturers do this? I've worked with countless mirrors and have never come across this.....until today. Un...frickin' believeable.

I'll be tossing the inside mirror and grabbing one from my spares and the outside....I'm going to have to do some fancy foot work with. spacer.png

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2024 at 7:12 AM, mustang1989 said:

I'm coming to the final stages of this build and grabbed for the inside and outside rearview mirrors to start working on them. Why.....oh why do modeling manufacturers do this? I've worked with countless mirrors and have never come across this.....until today. Un...frickin' believeable.

I'll be tossing the inside mirror and grabbing one from my spares and the outside....I'm going to have to do some fancy foot work with. spacer.png

spacer.png

Yeah! That and placing the injection points on the tops of the bumpers! 

😠  Arrrgh!

David G.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/26/2024 at 6:34 AM, David G. said:

Yeah! That and placing the injection points on the tops of the bumpers! 

😠  Arrrgh!

David G.

Thanks Dave! LOL. Right you are bud.

This build is now Under Glass. Thank you to all who looked in on or commented along the way. You guys ROCK!!