Model Cars Magazine Forum

1937 Ford tow truck- fiddly stuff!

Inspired by another forum member's art deco tow boom, I decided to build a tow truck myself. I wanted the tires to be military tires, and contacted someone on the forum to cast some for me, as well as the required wheels. The rear will have dual tires, and I replaced the stock diff case with something a bit beefier. I finally decided on a bit more modern engine, so went with the firepower hemi from the 53 Stude, and grafted on a Muncie rock crusher trans and bell housing from the 39 Chevy. I just received a package of "watch part" gears which are recasts of old parts. This provided some of the winch gears. The winch drum is two wheels with the axle hubs removed, and glued together. The old tow truck sides I had received in a parts swap years ago, but had no plans for until now. I suspect some surgery will be needed on the hood sides to clear the hemi, and the tow truck sides will be shortened. Oh, yes, it will be weathered. Lots more to do, more pix when I get more done!

IMG_1785.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

Edited by Paul Payne
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Paul Payne said:

Thanks, Bill ,got all the tires painted, now to weather them- I usually sand down tread on rubber tires, white resin will require something different- also dug out parts to make an air compressor which will power the winch.

Liking the tow truck Paul. I have a tip that might help with painting the tyres. For this to work you will need to drink a couple of extra strong coffees so your skin gets tha coffee sheen. If you spray the tyres the flat/matt black then once its dry rub your fingers on the your nose and then sorta polish the tyres with your fingers. The oils from your coffee skin will only affect the raised bits and give them a fairly convincing rubber sheen. I do this on chassis if they are just black so the details show better. This isn't the greatest pic to show it but the chassis on this was done this way and it gets more rubber like the more you rub your fingers on it. Maybe not the nicest way of doing it but it works for me and its pretty much free

DSC05943.JPG

I want to get the wheels and tires on, lay in the engine, then see if the interior floor will clear. Want to get plastic strapping with diamond pattern and lay over the wood bed. Then lay on the bed and fenders to see what will need to be altered to clear the bigger tires.

On 4/10/2023 at 8:10 PM, Paul Payne said:

I think it won't end up quite as tall- maybe a half inch shorter- mainly wanted to establish an overall design to create.

You might want to check on the overall size and heaviness of the materials.  A lighter design would (IMHO) make it look like it fits the truck better.🙂

Got more done, so here are more pix! Chassis is now painted but not yet weathered. Drew up a better proportioned and more accurate sketch of the tow boom and included where the winch drum will be in relation to it. Pics include the tow boom sketch only, and also with the rear sides in place. However, the sides should come up to the running boards of the fender and bed piece and should not rest on the tires. Also, the sides will be shortened to end just behind the cab.

IMG_1931.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

Edited by Paul Payne
  • Like 1

• Paul Payne changed the title to 1937 Ford tow truck- fiddly stuff!