Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Sand Kat...

Mothersworry

Sand Kat sand rail. Enjoyed this kit as a kid, made a few changes this time around, added a photo etch "steering wheel" and replaced the column, installed a tach, loud pedal and a magneto.  Relocated the fuel tank to match the box art and fabbed new mounting brackets fer it. Replaced the flag pole with fine music wire and made a Rat Fink flag fer it. All metal finishes are Alclad except fer the interior panels which are BMF.

20230426_144943.jpg

20230426_145649.jpg

20230426_145255.jpg

20230426_145313.jpg

20230426_145335.jpg

20230426_145346.jpg

20230426_145401.jpg

20230426_145833.jpg

20230426_145919.jpg

• Like 13

On 4/28/2023 at 12:31 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

Very cool build.

Aren't those rear tires 2 piece plastic? if so I'm hard pressed to find the seam anywhere. Can you share your process for making them look so good?

Thank you fer yer comment. Yes, they are 2 piece injection molded plastic tires front and rear. Nuthin fancy here, just fit the tire halves together as cleanly as possible using liquid cement, using the softened plastic of the joint as a filler by squeezing the parts together. Once the glue dries I work the seams with various files and folded sandpaper. Then I apply Duplicolor high build primer over the the seams and work the primer sanding and re-priming as necessary until the tire is ready fer paint. Depending on the kind of tire I mix various blacks, Grey's and charcoal colors to get a realistic finish. 

I much prefer hard resin or plastic tires to the vinyl tires that we've had in kits fer decades. To me, a correct finish on the tires is just as important as a correct finish on the body or engine. 

Edited by Mothersworry
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...