Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC-988 1/25 George Barris Granny's Hot Rod $35.99 TBA

I'd like a few of these if only for the cool early-twenties Oldmobile body - can make me some Oldsmobile T-Buckets! 

I forget exactly when, but I seem to remember @tim boyd built a cool little hot rod in Scale Auto using the body from one of these.  I seem to recall it was blue, and had some kind of cool blower setup on it...anyone remember that one?

The kit was always a 2 in 1 kit.  'Stock' or custom version when Jethro hot rodded it. But there is a 3rd version in the box not called out. 

BHTRK4.jpg

The half done version.........

The kit is also a good basis for other builds. I used the BH kit to build my Haney's truck from Green Acres...

GREENACRES (14).JPG

Edited by Dave Van
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I'd like a few of these if only for the cool early-twenties Oldmobile body - can make me some Oldsmobile T-Buckets! 

I forget exactly when, but I seem to remember @tim boyd built a cool little hot rod in Scale Auto using the body from one of these.  I seem to recall it was blue, and had some kind of cool blower setup on it...anyone remember that one?

I remember that one, used the dual blower set up from the recently cloned 64 442, and if remember right the frame from the Vending machine show rod. another of his inspiring builds.

4 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Jim....you nailed it.  Here's the model....

DSC 0454

More images here (see images #228-235)...

Best....TIM

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

I saw that BH car when visiting Volo last week.

How did you like the Volo museum?  It's not super far from me, but far enough that I didn't make it there quite yet.  I should get there this summer!

8 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

How did you like the Volo museum?  It's not super far from me, but far enough that I didn't make it there quite yet.  I should get there this summer!

They have a neat selection of cars and transport of days gone. But IMHO many of the cars could have been restored a bit better 😉

Edited by Luc Janssens
  • Like 1

Two Points.

1. I think Ken Kitchen Built an Olds Depot Hack out of this kit.

2. Tony, the kit is a 2'n'1. Granny's Hot Rod, and Stock. The stock kit is pretty decent, with a stock Olds 4 Cyl and has the famous Wooden Bench and a couple kegs for the fenders. The Rod has a decent Injected V-8 and some very nice rims, and a separate "Modern" swoopy flatbed for the rear.

In a very old issue of the HCCA magazine there was a small black & white pic of the Olds on display at Knott's Berry Farm, before Barris bought it. The car had already been cut down, and a had a huge piece of Mining Machinery on the back, It was very tall. May have been a Rock Crusher or such like. Photo was shared with the magazine because the car was now famous. Sort of a "Before it was a Star" photo.

Here are some directions. (note every kit from this production run, that I have ever opened, has severe 'mold shift, on just the spoke wheels. It causes wide spokes with a flat surface on one edge of the spoke.)

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/tv--movie/amt-the-beverly-hil/?view=roll

Edited by stavanzer
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

Most likely [...] in a new vintage style box. This [RC2-era]  box sucked!

Probably one of least offensive box art contributions from that Racing Chumps era.

Still, that hovering-over-a-red, basketball-texture-background representation is a humdinger ! Whose 10 year old Mario Paint kid put that thing together ???

16 minutes ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I like that box, that's the one I have. I like when they have the actual built model on the box.

I agree with that, at least in this instance. No embellishments by whoever built the box art kit -- unlike the 1974 GTX, 1969 Daytona, and countless others. 

• Like 1