Model Cars Magazine Forum

Received issue #219 in today's mail and as always it is an outstanding issue.  Plenty of show coverage and a couple of building articles. Looking forward to sitting down with it later this afternoon and giving it a closer look.

• Like 1

So far, the reborn MCM has been great.

The build something rare concept is great. Maybe an article on dismantling a rare build up? Even a sub topic for people to post their in project rebuilds? It would also be useful to have a place to post questions such as where to get rare parts in other kits.

Sorry, I can't get along without MCM, but... Larry Greenberg seems to toss me a challenge every issue or so in his Kit Reviews, usually regarding the 1:1 car stuff.  This time he emphatically states in the Ala Kart review, "Engine" ..."it has one grievous fault; it is VASTLY undersized, at first glance seeming closer to 1/32nd scale than 1/25th!"  If Mr. G. is familiar with the early Dodge 'Super Red-Ram' hemi motors, he will realize that the 1/1 engine is considerably more compact than the much more familiar Chrysler/DeSoto full-sized hemis.  After all, how many Gen 1 'Firepower' hemis have been included in kits over the years?  I have a ton, and still have kits made from my two AMT Ala Kart kits from the original issue!

I did a bunch of wrenching (and driving) of a '54 Dodge equipped with the SRR 245-cu.in. V-8 (with three-speed overdrive manual with column shift) and it's truly a 'cute' little version of the fabled hemi, and a neat choice by Richard Peters for his show-bomb.  A great novelty swap into very small cars, too!  It was considered thus when the car hit the magazines, and probably more SRR rods would have been built except for the rather limited production of the mill.  Bought from a local air-tanker pilot, the one with which I was familiar had marvelous torque,and got very good fuel mileage as well; the guy eventually drove it from CA to MI for his dad's collection with no problems.  Just sayin'...  Wick

45 minutes ago, W Humble said:

Sorry, I can't get along without MCM, but... Larry Greenberg seems to toss me a challenge every issue or so in his Kit Reviews, usually regarding the 1:1 car stuff.  This time he emphatically states in the Ala Kart review, "Engine" ..."it has one grievous fault; it is VASTLY undersized, at first glance seeming closer to 1/32nd scale than 1/25th!"  If Mr. G. is familiar with the early Dodge 'Super Red-Ram' hemi motors, he will realize that the 1/1 engine is considerably more compact than the much more familiar Chrysler/DeSoto full-sized hemis.  After all, how many Gen 1 'Firepower' hemis have been included in kits over the years?  I have a ton, and still have kits made from my two AMT Ala Kart kits from the original issue!

I did a bunch of wrenching (and driving) of a '54 Dodge equipped with the SRR 245-cu.in. V-8 (with three-speed overdrive manual with column shift) and it's truly a 'cute' little version of the fabled hemi, and a neat choice by Richard Peters for his show-bomb.  A great novelty swap into very small cars, too!  It was considered thus when the car hit the magazines, and probably more SRR rods would have been built except for the rather limited production of the mill.  Bought from a local air-tanker pilot, the one with which I was familiar had marvelous torque,and got very good fuel mileage as well; the guy eventually drove it from CA to MI for his dad's collection with no problems.  Just sayin'...  Wick

there are 2 issues of the ala kart kit. the most recent version does have an undersized engine. there are long threads complaining about it on nearly every kit review site if you care to look/research further

I stand corrected!  But then I'm persistent... 

I have an 'undersized' 283 SBC from an ancient Corvette (Palmer/) vkit that I always intended to convert into a  Buick/Olds 215 aluminum V-8 -- saved it since about 1960, and now that I own a '61 Tempest V-8 (Buick version, stock, about 2000 built) I may do that.  The exhaust manifolds look like Ford 221-260-289 units, which might adapt, or just make headers with the 1-2-3-4 exhaust port spacing, rather than the 1-2/3-4 of the Chevy.  Add the front distributor and presto!

Thanks for the 'late model' update!

1 minute ago, W Humble said:

I stand corrected!  But then I'm persistent... 

I have an 'undersized' 283 SBC from an ancient Corvette (Palmer/) vkit that I always intended to convert into a  Buick/Olds 215 aluminum V-8 -- saved it since about 1960, and now that I own a '61 Tempest V-8 (Buick version, stock, about 2000 built) I may do that.  The exhaust manifolds look like Ford 221-260-289 units, which might adapt, or just make headers with the 1-2-3-4 exhaust port spacing, rather than the 1-2/3-4 of the Chevy.  Add the front distributor and presto!

Thanks for the 'late model' update!

iceman collections do a very nice buick/rover v8. it can be built as either version

19 hours ago, W Humble said:

The only thing Larry got wrong was the issue AMT redid the Ala Kart into a street rod. That was not in 1969, but in 1973, for the Street Rods issue. That version was issued only once. The 1969 release still built an Ala Kart. The new tool Ala Kart also suffers from a way too squarish nose, hood and cowl.

31 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

The only thing Larry got wrong was the issue AMT redid the Ala Kart into a street rod. That was not in 1969, but in 1973, for the Street Rods issue. That version was issued only once. The 1969 release still built an Ala Kart. The new tool Ala Kart also suffers from a way too squarish nose, hood and cowl.

Well, that's not so bad!  I found (with my two surplus AK noses that if you cut off the headlight pods, fill the gaps with good polyester and invert, they make a great track nose for an early rod.  Since about 1964, I've probably bought less than 20 kits, as I have a nice pool of VSOP (Very Special Old Projects) to complete, and am racing with aged infirmities to do so.  Unfortunately, my aspirations keep escalating, and my powers declining -- word to the wise!  Ole' Wick