Model Cars Magazine Forum

Grinding Out Model Car Grills for more realistic look

Opening up grills and other openings really enhances the look of model cars. I use a Dremel on low speed and slowly grind away the backside of the grill until you start to see the chrome. Then, using a fresh-bladed X-Acto gently cut away until all the openings are clean and free of any stray plastic. You can paint the grill afterwards. This allows for you to see through the grill, unlike how the model came from the box.

2grill WIP.jpg

3 Finished.jpg

1Tools.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nice work. And you must have the patience of Job.  :D

Yes, as Bill says, it takes patience. Just did this on my Caddy project. With the grill being blacked out, I felt it had to be opened as the usual black wash would just look like a big black blob.

IMG_8265.thumb.jpeg.3a63b8862660a8287f7a656741ce863b.jpeg

IMG_8387.thumb.jpeg.ac1c6328758ee897d9b8e83a4ad65239.jpeg

It depends on the shape of the grill and the size of the slats what method works best. The same with any process in this hobby. Thankfully there is a very resourceful group on this forum that are willing to share their tips and experiences. I for one have learned a lot on here.

Thanks, Greg.

8 minutes ago, atomicholiday said:

Great tips guys.  I’ll have to give this a shot.

Although I think I’ll try the file first.  I tend to melt plastic every time I get within ten feet of a model if I’m holding a dremel.😁

If you're using the regular 110v version, I've found the battery powered versions are MUCH more controllable, and run at lower RPMs.

If you're USING the battery powered version already...disregard my comment 😁

• Thanks 1

While I agree that opening the the grill adds to the overall look, it really depends on the grill itself what method is used.  If the recesses in the grill are shallow, you stand a better chance of destroying it while sanding it.  The bottom row of this Nova grill was nearly obliterated.

It was sanded from the backside obviously and an Exacto knife to help open it.  it was my first one and trust me, due to the remaining thickness...it was a royal pain the a...well, you get my point.

1388046469_NOVACAM8.jpeg.011aa1c2b16d96201f797df5d200a975.jpeg

The GTX was a bit easier but it still took about 4 hours of a combination of hand and dremel sanding/grinding.

693391476_GTX7.jpg.20dd63aded03e684211325771a65ed81.jpg

• Like 1

My choice is to use the Dremel drum sanders for the rough out work, then files and then the X-Acto blades. Also have tungsten carbide spear shaped grinding bit that works really well at low speed. My Dremel is a stylus 1100 cordless.

Xacto-Cutting-Solutions-50-50-solid_02_desktop.jpg.57e90a4282a402edce9275a3122737d4.jpg

ItemImage-351377-q5vub4-4pvgmw-ekc5li.jpg.5924b7f8e4c7e556bca3b19b4cbde177.jpg

greg

6 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I have used the two on the left…but in my drill press with the depth stop set. There may be a better, less aggressive alternative if you are free-handing it?

IMG_6091.jpeg

I have the left 3 and the one on the right (my favorite). I use a modified Pana-vise with a very heavy base to hold my work for me. My dremel is a 110v variable speed unit. While I have yet to do a car grille, I did open up the vents on my Freightliners from the back side.

Vents open highlighted.jpg

Modified Pana-vise.JPG