Model Cars Magazine Forum

Huge spider living by my door.

JollySipper

Hey, guys! I just thought you would enjoy some pics of this spider that has her web right by my back door....... She's been there a good month or so. Yesterday she molted, that's the shell in the pics with her. Must be painful and traumatic to molt, as it seemed to take a lot out of her. The small spider in the second pic is most likely a male.....

SDC10681.JPG.59c48a4c420c4a61f90c9fd3d46cbcd3.JPG

SDC10682.JPG.5025f1d234f319a323687633ab93f30b.JPG

1 hour ago, JollySipper said:

Carl, my man....... Looking around online, I found what I have here! It's a type of Banana Spider called a Golden Silk Orbweaver.......

https://owlcation.com/stem/Facts-about-Banana-Spiders-Golden-Orb-Spiders

Pretty harmless, but they Will bite you!

Really cool TJ!😎 I LIKE spiders. Those ones have been around for 165 million years apparently. Nice videos on that site…I don’t think I’d stick my face in the web like the Guy in the second video though.😬

I'm a Florida boy. Snakes? No problem. Lizards? Love 'em. Gators? Awesome, as long as I'm not on the menu. But I'm not a fan of spiders. The worst ones are huntsman spiders, which can get up to 5" leg span and are not afraid of you. When one of those things gets into the house (rare, but it happens) the cat won't even mess with it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spiders do one thing and they do it very well, they eat other smaller insects. The larger ones are the most successful ones. If you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone and will help keep down on the smaller pest insects. You can feed them too, and they'll appreciate it. Catch a fly and throw it into the web and watch how fast they are! Totally amazing.

I had a roomate once who had a Tarantula, really fascinating. Throw in a cricket and they're like, bleh OK I'll eat it. Throw in a meal worm and they move like lightning! He got one that only had 7 legs but after molting there were 8!

Spiders don't bother me, but we have Camel spiders here.

I have watched them do battle with scorpions, and the spiders  always win.

I made the mistake of poking one with a popsicle stick, the spider took the stick away from me, and broke it in half with a scary crunching wood sound.

https://images.app.goo.gl/u8jJ3ndvuqmoZzp9A

Edited by Little Timmy
  • Like 1

Oh hell no,those spiders would be gone real quick if they came anywhere near my house.Anybody got a flame thrower?Sniff,sniff,aww too bad,barbecue spider.Mmm,yummy.🤪How about this big guy right here,The Goliath bird-eating spider.Good thing is,that this HUGE,& freaky spider is mainly found in S.America,and some parts of Africa.😧

IMG_6241.webp