Model Cars Magazine Forum

Upcoming Round 2 Announcements - MPC Shelby Daytona and "Mach Won" Funny Car

Justin Porter

On 9/24/2023 at 6:49 PM, mikos said:

If they kept it as the “Super Fly”, they would’ve had a lucrative reissue on their hands.

46 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

As far as the Superfly to Welcome Back Kotter if the Licensing for the Superfly was long gone then it was an opportunity to get another version out of the tooling.

FYI, the car in the original movie, which was the only one when the kit came out was an Eldorado, not a "lowly" Grand Prix so I don't think it matters anyway.

A stock Grand Prix would sell just as well, if not better in this day and age.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

FYI, the car in the original movie, which was the only one when the kit came out was an Eldorado, not a "lowly" Grand Prix so I don't think it matters anyway.

A stock Grand Prix would sell just as well, if not better in this day and age.

Johan still had the early ‘70’s style Eldorado in production at the time the movie came out (1972), I don’t know why they didn’t try to secure licensing to do a “SuperFly” version.

Edited by mikos

Hmmm...they do have the MPC '71 Demon coming, which hasn't been seen since the early 70s.   As far as late 70s, not sure.  The '77 Vega annual became the '78 Monza S which became the 'Twister Vega', so a stock Vega would require some retooling..as far as a Monza 2+2, that was last released in '81 as the 'Long Shot'..  

• Like 1

I'll be at Akron Ohio show on Oct 14th with that MPC release from the late 70's and a few other surprises.   

The upcoming John Wick Chevelle got some overdue cleanup of the tooling to improve the fit of the bumper and grille assemblies, we added a set of 5 spoke mags, pad printed BFG radial T/A tires and a new decal sheet for the John Wick and stock versions.  

-Steve

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, SteveG said:

I'll be at Akron Ohio show on Oct 14th with that MPC release from the late 70's and a few other surprises.   

The upcoming John Wick Chevelle got some overdue cleanup of the tooling to improve the fit of the bumper and grille assemblies, we added a set of 5 spoke mags, pad printed BFG radial T/A tires and a new decal sheet for the John Wick and stock versions.  

-Steve

My guesses on the MPC release: Chevrolet Chevette or Pontiac "SuperFly".   A few other surprises??  Wow!   More guesses:  MPC '78 Dodge Warlock 4x4 pickup, AMT late 70s Chevrolet van with camper and interior, ERTL International F-2575 or F-2674 or F-4270, MPC Pro-Stock Pinto, AMT AMC Matador-X,  MPC Corvette Mako-Shark, MPC Corvette vette-van, MPC 78 Chevrolet pickup with fleetside 8-foot bed (I can dream).

What else?  :)

8 hours ago, SteveG said:

-Steve

That’s sounds great Steve!  

Any chance in finding the old MPC ‘72 Chevelle?

I know it was reissued a few times in the early 2000’s, but the box contents were that of the AMT ‘70 updated to the ‘72 again with a badly rendered front bumper and grill.

I think the last time the MPC ‘72 Chevelle was last reissued was back in the mid ‘80’s.  I hope the MPC ‘72 Chevelle can be found again.

Edited by mikos

On 9/27/2023 at 11:25 AM, PintoKING said:

My guesses on the MPC release: Chevrolet Chevette or Pontiac "SuperFly".   A few other surprises??  Wow!   More guesses:  MPC '78 Dodge Warlock 4x4 pickup, AMT late 70s Chevrolet van with camper and interior, ERTL International F-2575 or F-2674 or F-4270, MPC Pro-Stock Pinto, AMT AMC Matador-X,  MPC Corvette Mako-Shark, MPC Corvette vette-van, MPC 78 Chevrolet pickup with fleetside 8-foot bed (I can dream).

SuperFly was converted into the Sweathogs “Dream Machine”.  They opened up the roof.   I’d rather not see that one come back, but if they fixed it back to stock version, heck yeah!

Edited by mikos

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2023 at 6:33 AM, SteveG said:

-Steve

Wonder if the other surprises could be either the AMT 67 or 68 Ford Galaxie kits.  Am I warm or cold on these two subjects?

23 hours ago, GMP440 said:

Wonder if the other surprises could be either the AMT 67 or 68 Ford Galaxie kits.  Am I warm or cold on these two subjects?

Ice cold.  I think those two were last available in ‘67 and ‘68 so I don’t think so.  They would have to clone them.

On 10/9/2023 at 6:39 PM, GMP440 said:

55 minutes ago, mikos said:

Ice cold.  I think those two were last available in ‘67 and ‘68 so I don’t think so.  They would have to clone them

On 9/27/2023 at 3:33 AM, SteveG said:

Read for comprehension Michael.

Mr. Goldman will be at the Akron show on October 14th with an MPC release from the late 70's

and

a few other surprises.

The AMT 67 or 68 Galaxies won't be the MPC release from the late 70s.

Will they be the surprises? We won't know until the weekend. They are surprises. Who knows?

Looking forward to the release news no matter what it is. Reissues and surprises are great for the hobby. Even if they aren't your cup of tea or mine, they are someone else's or they wouldn't be re-released.

Cheers!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rodent said:

Mr. Goldman will be at the Akron show on October 14th with an MPC release from the late 70's

and

a few other surprises.

Will they be the surprises? We won't know until the weekend. They are surprises. Who knows?

Looking forward to the release news no matter what it is. Reissues and surprises are great for the hobby. Even if they aren't your cup of tea or mine, they are someone else's or they wouldn't be re-released.

Cheers!

MPC and other surprises;  the other surprises might not be MPC subjects but subjects of AMT.   As stated above, we won't know till this weekend. 

On 9/27/2023 at 2:25 PM, PintoKING said:

The vette gasser would make a great reissue 

On 10/10/2023 at 7:08 PM, Rodent said:

and

a few other surprises.

Cheers!

I think YOU need to READ for comprehension.…Rodent.  

GMP440 asked, hot or cold, if the new reissue coming out would perhaps be the AMT ‘67-‘68 Ford Galaxie.  I replied that it would be a cold no.  Read it again.

The last time those were issued was back in ‘67-‘68 during their initial annual run.  So, I responded to him that if they did reissue them, it would have to be a clone since the tooling is probably long gone.  

I did NOT say that it would be the new reissue coming out.  Since they were never reissued in the late ‘70’s or any year prior since their original annual run, the ‘67-‘68 Galaxie would not be the kit (that was last available in the late ‘70’s) that is mentioned by Steve G.

Edited by mikos

A few years ago I went to a couple of model car shows and picked up some models I had when I was a kid with the expectation that they'd never be reissued. So now I have a couple of the Omni already, but I'll buy more just to encourage Round Two to keep at it.